Worth leaving residency if I know I won't be practicing clinical medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zeppelinpage4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a year into residency and Realizing that I don't want to practice medicine anymore. I don't like my field (nor does any subspecialty or other field seem appealing), and I'm realizing that comfortable lifestyle, and time with my loved ones is more important to me. I can justify working hard if good pay and financial rewards come, or on the other end, I am willing to make less if it means more work life balance. But medicine seems to be a lot of hard work and long hours with little to no financial gains and ultimately you're at the mercy of the employer or insurance companies when all is said and done. There's no control or autonomy anymore. I've spoken to too many doctors who wish they got out sooner and I don't want to end up like them cause life is too short to be stuck doing something you dislike.

Right now I'm looking at hospital administration, or consulting. Is it worth finishing residency and getting board certified if I want to pursue a non-clinical career right after? Or is it better to leave now and get a head start on one of these non-clinical careers? I had a family friend who got an MD/MBA and never did residency and he's doing very well now in consulting. However, others say that I'll be more appealing to employers if I have completed a residency.

As an additional question, is it worth pursuing an MBA for careers like consulting or hospital administration? I'm also considering pharmaceuticals and health IT. Not sure if this is the right forum to ask, but I'm really not sure who to ask or where to get more information.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
If you are already a PGY2, may be worthwhile to finish since then you can become board certified (assuming a 3 yr residency). At the very least it’s a paycheck and more healthcare experience while you plan your next move.

You already have intern year, so you can become a fully licensed physician without finishing residency in most states, but probably best not to leave unless you have a solid opportunity already available.

And give plenty of notice to your program - better to avoid burning bridges.

Reactions: 1 user
I definitely recommend finishing residency. Having a board certification opens up doors for you - especially in healthcare administration. There are a lot of nonclinical job options for physicians even without a residency - 8 Nonclinical Jobs for Physicians without Residency | Look for Zebras

But there are more opportunities with better pay when you've done a residency. So unless you're miserable and can't bear the thought of being a resident for a couple more years, I encourage you to stick with it!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a year into residency and Realizing that I don't want to practice medicine anymore. I don't like my field (nor does any subspecialty or other field seem appealing), and I'm realizing that comfortable lifestyle, and time with my loved ones is more important to me. I can justify working hard if good pay and financial rewards come, or on the other end, I am willing to make less if it means more work life balance. But medicine seems to be a lot of hard work and long hours with little to no financial gains and ultimately you're at the mercy of the employer or insurance companies when all is said and done. There's no control or autonomy anymore. I've spoken to too many doctors who wish they got out sooner and I don't want to end up like them cause life is too short to be stuck doing something you dislike.

Right now I'm looking at hospital administration, or consulting. Is it worth finishing residency and getting board certified if I want to pursue a non-clinical career right after? Or is it better to leave now and get a head start on one of these non-clinical careers? I had a family friend who got an MD/MBA and never did residency and he's doing very well now in consulting. However, others say that I'll be more appealing to employers if I have completed a residency.

As an additional question, is it worth pursuing an MBA for careers like consulting or hospital administration? I'm also considering pharmaceuticals and health IT. Not sure if this is the right forum to ask, but I'm really not sure who to ask or where to get more information.
You will be far more appealing to employers if you finish residency. It also opens up a lot of positions in hospital administration that are otherwise off limits (CMO, etc)

your personality is not, in my opinion, a good fit for consulting and healthcare admin. extroverted assertive smooth talking people excel in those fields. my best advice to you is to get through residency and scale back your hours. you can do 3 - 4.5 days a week and live a comfortable life, and pursue what brings you bliss on the side with a roof over your head and bills paid for comfortably. you'll never have to care about stuff the rest of us care about (such as NPs taking over medicine and corporatization) because your end goals will be different from most people on here.

I am aware of your situation and can assure you it is understandable why your out look on things is the way it is. its easy to have great outlooks and be optimistic when more tiers on Laslow's hierarchy of needs are checked off. Churchill said, when you're going through hell, keep going. I do believe a fulfilling life awaits you - one with a guitar, and a loving wife and kids - but I don't think you'll get to it any sooner via consulting or admin.

take care, S

bump
I am in a similar situation. I really hope you find what you need - maybe you can work part time and pursue your other interests?

I intend on finishing the intern year. In my state, I can apply for a license after PGY1 completion - but has anyone worked just after completing PGY1 year? How feasible is working just after PGY1?

bump
I am in a similar situation. I really hope you find what you need - maybe you can work part time and pursue your other interests?

I intend on finishing the intern year. In my state, I can apply for a license after PGY1 completion - but has anyone worked just after completing PGY1 year? How feasible is working just after PGY1?

Doing what?

I work in a non-clinical job. My biggest advice: finish residency and get board certified. Then you have much, much more opportunities in the non-clinical world than if you are not board certified.