Worth raising sGPA from 3.4 to 3.5? cGPA from 3.5 to 3.6?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wb100

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The median GPA for acceptees is 3.7. The top schools have a 10th %ile of 3.6.

It will all depend upon what state you live in.

My advice is at least get to the 3.5 mark.

Provided that he actually gets straight A's, wouldn't the upward trend help as well? Even if he doesn't raise his gpa that much.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would take some classes in that winter term if you can.... Depending on your MCAT, a 3.4 vs 3.5 may be viewed different

It seems like you want to take a gap year with classes. I would get your GPA as high as possible within the normal time frame of getting a degree. Don't waste additional money on extra schooling. There's no guarantee that your GPA will go up. I'm guessing you're assuming that you're going to get straight A's but if you haven't in the past, how will you in the future? Has anything changed regarding your study habits?

Instead, I would take the year to prep for the MCAT. Do things that you love and make yourself an interesting person. Based on the time you've spent on your extracurriculars, it is unlikely that you've developed any true hobbies or passions (I could be wrong and please correct me if I am). Approximately, more than 20000 applicants have an equal or better GPA than you whether or not you improve it. What about you would make medical schools pick you over the other 20000? If you can answer that question, I think you'd be set for this process.

On a more positive notes, I think your extracurriculars look great. A pub is fairly rare and you have a lot of clinical experience. Keep up your hard work!

The median GPA for acceptees is 3.7. The top schools have a 10th %ile of 3.6.

It will all depend upon what state you live in.

My advice is at least get to the 3.5 mark.

I live in CA and go to a UC so no safety state schools really... I am from the IE but didn't go to UCR.

It seems like you want to take a gap year with classes. I would get your GPA as high as possible within the normal time frame of getting a degree. Don't waste additional money on extra schooling. There's no guarantee that your GPA will go up. I'm guessing you're assuming that you're going to get straight A's but if you haven't in the past, how will you in the future? Has anything changed regarding your study habits?

Instead, I would take the year to prep for the MCAT. Do things that you love and make yourself an interesting person. Based on the time you've spent on your extracurriculars, it is unlikely that you've developed any true hobbies or passions (I could be wrong and please correct me if I am). Approximately, more than 20000 applicants have an equal or better GPA than you whether or not you improve it. What about you would make medical schools pick you over the other 20000? If you can answer that question, I think you'd be set for this process.

On a more positive notes, I think your extracurriculars look great. A pub is fairly rare and you have a lot of clinical experience. Keep up your hard work!

Thank you for your helpful comment. Yes I do have good studying habits, I had a dip halfway through college (lots of B's and 3 C's) after a year of 4.0 because of my courseload and work (I was taking biochem, ochem, genetics, calc and cell bio all together within 2 quarters). Since then I've had A's in the rest of my upper div (and in bio, physics, and gen chem). Haha I know it may seem like I'm a pre-med robot based off my EC's but trust me I do have a big life outside of all this. I kept every summer for myself to travel and I'm pretty outdoorsy (I try to visit a new national park every summer).