Worth re-taking Prep Course just bc of CBT??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

airlieu

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

If there is a thread that addresses this issue, let me know.....

I'm going to be retaking the MCAT in January. I've taken the TPR prep course, and found it to be ok. Normally, I would not take the prep course again, and just study on my own for the MCAT. But since the January MCAT is computer based, I was wondering if I should retake the prep course just so that I can take some practice tests on computer, to get used to the new format. I'm especially worried about the V section, since I like underlining and things like that.

Is it worth it? Or does AAMC supply some electronic versions of the tests on their website that people can practice on? Will TPR's stuff even be updated to the point where its helpful?

Any feedback will be much appreciated! Thanks~!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I'm going to be retaking the MCAT in January. I've taken the TPR prep course, and found it to be ok. Normally, I would not take the prep course again, and just study on my own for the MCAT. But since the January MCAT is computer based, I was wondering if I should retake the prep course just so that I can take some practice tests on computer, to get used to the new format. I'm especially worried about the V section, since I like underlining and things like that.

Is it worth it? Or does AAMC supply some electronic versions of the tests on their website that people can practice on? Will TPR's stuff even be updated to the point where its helpful?

The only thing that will be updated from TPR are the exams...they're actually the same tests you took except they're on the computer. I think they are working on releasing new exams, but paying 60% of the price does not make too much sense. I would just use the materials you have and contact them about any refresher exams.

I don't know about "RE-taking" a prep course just for CBT... too damn expensive.

Im still on the debate of prep-course vs no prep-course. The fact that it would be good to get CBT practice is one of hte reasons I am considering taking one, because that is just not something I am capable of simulating my self through self-study.

Don't retake. They don't know anymore about the upcoming CBT exam than you can find on the AAMC website or here on SDN.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

Any feedback will be much appreciated! Thanks~!

Well, yes, take the course again if you're paranoid and didn't think you learned much the first time. But otherwise, no.

And also, yes, AAMC has plenty of electronic versions of the test. Go to www.e-mcat.com Goodluck!

Yeah don't do it.

I work for TPR and know what they're changing - and unfortunately for people taking the January one - its not much. They are shortening their exams and putting them on a computer, and they are going to discuss techniques, etc. But other than that, nothing. As of now, they're not even getting the computers to give kids practice tests on - they are just sending them home to do it at home (this pisses me off to no end).

So I would say if you can take it for free - go for it, and just get the practice exams and do them on your own. But if you have to pay, don't do it.

I really like TPR and think it gives good prep and highly recommend it to anyone. The review is extensive, the practice tests are comparable to the real thing (unlike Kaplan) and all in all its just a good experience if you're not disciplined enough to study alone. Just not until after the Jan exam. They're still trying to get all their ducks in a row right now.