Worth Retaking the DAT right now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skkalkat92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I submitted my application the first week of June. Since then I have not heard back from any schools regarding interviews, I am getting a bit worried and was wondering what you guys think about retaking the DAT again this late in the game? Do you think it's worth it? Will schools even look at my new DAT score if I submit it in October?

Here's a little background on me:

My undergrad stats weren't all that great. Actually they were pretty bad I would say.
Undergrad GPA: 3.50
Undergrad BCPM GPA: 2.87
Undergrad Non-BCPM GPA: 3.89

As a result, I attended a one-year master's program.
Graduate Total GPA: 3.94
Graduate BCPM GPA: 3.92
Graduate Non-BCPM GPA: 4.00

Making my overall stats:
Overall GPA: 3.59
Overall BCPM GPA: 3.22
I realize that my overall stats still aren't the greatest :(

DAT Scores:
PAT: 18
QR: 19
Reading: 18
Bio: 20
GC: 21
OC: 21
AA: 20

I appreciate any suggestions and feedback! Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

How many schools did you apply to?

You probably don't need to retake as long as you abide by the central dogma of SDN. That is, "apply broadly."

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd wait. The first round of invites still haven't been completed, after Dec 1st, another big batch gets invited so you never know. If you applied to schools that are close stats matches, you should wait to retake your DAT until May or so. If you applied to Harvard and such, you need a better GPA anyway :).

I applied to 13 schools
what are those 13 schools? when did you submit your primary and secondary and got complete status?

what courses you took in undergrad (upper div bio) what courses in master?

what are those 13 schools? when did you submit your primary and secondary and got complete status?

what courses you took in undergrad (upper div bio) what courses in master?

I only took 1-2 upper division bio courses during undergrad. However, in graduate school I took all upper division science courses. My master's was in Medical Sciences.

And the 13 schools are:
3 Texas schools
Boston University Henry M Goldman School of Dental Medicine
Columbia University College of Dental Medicine
Medical University of South Carolina James B. Edwards College of Dental Medicine
New York University College of Dentistry
The University of Colorado School of Dental Medicine
University of Florida College of Dentistry
University of Nevada, Las Vegas School of Dental Medicine
University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine
University of the Pacific Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry
University of Washington School of Dentistry

I can tell you with your residency and state, 6 of the school's you will have a really low chance of an interview.

You did receive an interview last year from San Antonio and an acceptance for an out of state school, which school were you accepted to?

And the 13 schools are:
3 Texas schools VERY OSS UNFRIENDLY LIKE INCREDIBLY NO CHANCE at 2 school, San antonio took 4 OOS only.
Boston University Henry M Goldman School of Dental Medicine *is this one public too? and IS bias?)
Columbia University College of Dental Medicine this one is a high reach for your GPA and DAT
Medical University of South Carolina James B. Edwards College of Dental Medicine this one has IS bias too

The University of Colorado School of Dental Medicine (is this one public and IS bias)
University of Florida College of Dentistry (i thought this one has IS bias too)
University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine (this one is high reach for your GPA and DAT)
University of the Pacific Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry (high reach for your GPA and DAT)
University of Washington School of Dentistry (this one is IS bias)

are you a texas resident?

you should look into Nova, LECOM, MWU-AZ, MWU-IL, Tuft, Western U,

Last edited:
And the 13 schools are:
3 Texas schools VERY OSS UNFRIENDLY LIKE INCREDIBLY NO CHANCE at 2 school, San antonio took 4 OOS only.
Boston University Henry M Goldman School of Dental Medicine *is this one public too? and IS bias?)
Columbia University College of Dental Medicine this one is a high reach for your GPA and DAT
Medical University of South Carolina James B. Edwards College of Dental Medicine this one has IS bias too

The University of Colorado School of Dental Medicine (is this one public and IS bias)
University of Florida College of Dentistry (i thought this one has IS bias too)
University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine (this one is high reach for your GPA and DAT)
University of the Pacific Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry (high reach for your GPA and DAT)
University of Washington School of Dentistry (this one is IS bias)

are you a texas resident?

you should look into Nova, LECOM, MWU-AZ, MWU-IL, Tuft.

She is a Texas resident.

I agree-your school choice might be the issue more than anything else. I'm assuming your are a TX resident, if not, those are 3 wasted applications. If you are not a Co resident or a resident in the western alliance, Colorado was a waste. Columbia--hey, if you really need to go there, ok, just know you have pretty much no chance. U of Wash, no chance unless you are western alliance. Apply to some of the private schools.

So back to my main question... should I retake my DAT at the end of this month? I know my GPA isn't the best, and that's why I was debating whether or not to retake the DAT and submit (hopefully) a higher score before Dec. 1st acceptances?

If you are confident that you can score much higher than a 21 on the DAT, then you should retake it. This includes getting at least a 20 on the reading comprehension or at least a 19, whichever works.

Yes, some schools will look at your application with your old dat score but will take in consideration if you do well on your new one. I know Baylor takes unofficial scores, you can literally scan your dat score to them.

When did you take your DAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are confident that you can score much higher than a 21 on the DAT, then you should retake it. This includes getting at least a 20 on the reading comprehension or at least a 19, whichever works.

Yes, some schools will look at your application with your old dat score but will take in consideration if you do well on your new one. I know Baylor takes unofficial scores, you can literally scan your dat score to them.

When did you take your DAT?

I took my DAT in 2013. And I feel much more confidant going in this time around, after my master's program that I will do better on this one. I just wasn't sure whether it was worth taking this late in the game. Since the testing fee is $415, I wanted to be sure that schools will even look at my new DAT score if I submit it. I emailed them about it and haven't heard much back.

Also I never put on my AADSAS application that I was planning on retaking the DAT at a future date. Do you think that will matter?

I took my DAT in 2013. And I feel much more confidant going in this time around, after my master's program that I will do better on this one. I just wasn't sure whether it was worth taking this late in the game. Since the testing fee is $415, I wanted to be sure that schools will even look at my new DAT score if I submit it. I emailed them about it and haven't heard much back.

Also I never put on my AADSAS application that I was planning on retaking the DAT at a future date. Do you think that will matter?

yes if you put you plan on retaking the DAT then they will put your app on hold and wait for the new DAT score to arrive..............

if you put so why didn't you start studying and take the dat sooner? since your DAT in 2013 may as well be near expiration.

why not temple? I had very similar stats as you in regards to the DAT.

What month did you take your DAT? There is a good chance that your DAT may be expired for some of the schools. I took my DAT 2013, but it expired. So, I ended up retaking it JULY before I submitted my applications.

yes if you put you plan on retaking the DAT then they will put your app on hold and wait for the new DAT score to arrive..............

if you put so why didn't you start studying and take the dat sooner? since your DAT in 2013 may as well be near expiration.

No, I said that I never put on my AADSAS application that I was planning on retaking the DAT at a future date. Do you think that will matter?

No, I said that I never put on my AADSAS application that I was planning on retaking the DAT at a future date. Do you think that will matter?

sorry. It wont matter then because they are now reviewing your file as it is.

however, like ruffday says, your DAT may near expiration date now

how come you never considered retaking before applying thsi cycle? it helps either way.

sorry. It wont matter then because they are now reviewing your file as it is.

however, like ruffday says, your DAT may near expiration date now

how come you never considered retaking before applying thsi cycle? it helps either way.

Oh okay, so should I email AADSAS and let them know I plan on retaking it this month, so that the schools I applied to will know. Or should I just send my new scores over to the schools once I take the test?

I was actually in Europe from May until August, and just got back. So that's why I'm considering retaking this late in the game :/

Oh okay, so should I email AADSAS and let them know I plan on retaking it this month, so that the schools I applied to will know. Or should I just send my new scores over to the schools once I take the test?

I was actually in Europe from May until August, and just got back. So that's why I'm considering retaking this late in the game :/

woa, are you sure one month is enough for you to study and prep?

if so I guess you should just take it first the notice them

DAT IS FINE! DO NOT RETAKE! Just be patient with the process!

Hate to break it to you, but the only real chance you have are Nevada and New York. Your DAT expires for Boson, and you won't be able to apply to Midwestern and NOVA.

And.. Texas schools