Worth retaking the mcat with interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Overachiever900

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a bunch of interviews at places where my stats are at or below the 10th percentile for my mcat. All the lower tier schools that I applied to have not given me any responses while all the higher tier (top 20) have extended me invites. At my last interview one of my interviewers asked me why I thought I scored a 9 on verbal. She said I spoke eloquently and my recommenders spoke highly or my writing ability. I didn't have a good answer. I told her I scored lower than expected and that I didn't think it reflected my verbal reasoning ability. In the past I have done well on standardized exams and decide against retaking and to put my best foot forward. She then moved on to other questions.

So I have this terrible feeling that despite getting all these invites I'm going to end up being waitlisted because my mcat was just too low. My average mcat was a 34 (12/10/12) and I ended up with a 29 on the real deal (10/9/10). I know I could bring up the science sections, but honestly I could never break 11 on verbal and I always scored between a 9-11. Im a URM, and an immigrant (came to this country in 11th grade). Is it worth retaking the mcat to make sure these schools don't doubt my academic ability? I have a high GPA from a respectable school and I just don't wanna waste time interviewing if these schools are gonna end up waitlisting me. Additionally, no lower tier schools have given me any response so it's not like I have any schools right now where my mcat would be close to being competitive. I've spent thousands in application fees and flights and I'm just out of money with no additional income sources to pool from. Can I get any suggestions? I honestly don't think my verbal will shoot up but I know I can probably increase my overall score.

Members don't see this ad.

theoretically- and there has been much argument about this- if a school interviews you, they do so because they believe you are qualified and that there is at least a good possibility that they will extend an acceptance. so I wouldn't sweat it, especially if you have SEVERAL interviews. if top 20s are contacting you, then more than likely, low tier schools will eventually come too. I wouldn't bother retaking it, I don't even know if it will help for this cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
As a URM, the general medians don't apply to you. I think you'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
theoretically- and there has been much argument about this- if a school interviews you, they do so because they believe you are qualified and that there is at least a good possibility that they will extend an acceptance. so I wouldn't sweat it, especially if you have SEVERAL interviews. if top 20s are contacting you, then more than likely, low tier schools will eventually come too. I wouldn't bother retaking it, I don't even know if it will help for this cycle.

My thinking was that if I retake it, and do well it could help me get off a waitlist if that happens but maybe I'm just overthinking it. If it won't help this cycle I'll just stick with my current mcat.

My thinking was that if I retake it, and do well it could help me get off a waitlist if that happens but maybe I'm just overthinking it. If it won't help this cycle I'll just stick with my current mcat.

I think a new MCAT is unlikely to significantly help you this cycle.

Honestly odds are if you are getting invites to top 20 schools, plural, your overall odds of acceptance are very high.

It is still early in the process.

We used to tell kids at our admissions day that if you were interviewing with us, to relax and take a deep breath - because you are going to be a doctor...now it's just a factor of figuring out where.

I think a new MCAT is unlikely to significantly help you this cycle.

Honestly odds are if you are getting invites to top 20 schools, plural, your overall odds of acceptance are very high.

It is still early in the process.

We used to tell kids at our admissions day that if you were interviewing with us, to relax and take a deep breath - because you are going to be a doctor...now it's just a factor of figuring out where.

Well I applied to 16 from top 20 and got 6 invites from those schools. So maybe that's enough? I guess I'm just psyching myself out.

Well I applied to 16 from top 20 and got 6 invites from those schools. So maybe that's enough? I guess I'm just psyching myself out.

you're golden, buddy boy. Attend all your interviews and you will be a doctor. You're so lucky to be URM. An asian (Indian, Chinese) applicant with the same numbers and ECs as you would be lucky to have even 1-2 interviews right now, really lucky. You lucky bastard, good for you mate!

you're golden, buddy boy. Attend all your interviews and you will be a doctor. You're so lucky to be URM. An asian (Indian, Chinese) applicant with the same numbers and ECs as you would be lucky to have even 1-2 interviews right now, really lucky. You lucky bastard, good for you mate!

Yes, I know I'm lucky for med school admissions. Unlucky for other parts of life that come with being a URM. One of the few times that being a URM can actually help...other times not so much. I know I'm very fortunate to have all these interviews and I'm grateful for that.

Reactions: 6 users
you should be very grateful. 6 interviews is amazing on its own, but at top 20 schools that's incredible

So should I not worry about the numbers at this point?

One of the few benefits you'll get from being underrepresented. Your numbers are great for URMs, and a 29 isn't all that bad for anyone.

One of the few benefits you'll get from being underrepresented. Your numbers are great for URMs, and a 29 isn't all that bad for anyone.

Ya, I just felt bad because 29 was the score I got on my first diagnostic without prep so I just felt like I didn't improve. But I guess it might be too late for a retake at this point.

im in a similar situation to the OP, but with a sub10 score in BS instead of VR. im also not URM, but have II's at a few top 20's. is the fact that these schools invited me mean that they've totally looked past my poor BS score, or are they inviting me because they are fishing for an acceptable answer/reason for my low score? in this case, do you think i should say that i made a mistake not retaking the MCAT, and plan on retaking it?

is there any other appropriate answers to this kind of question (like what is the weakest part of your app and why?) thanks!

@Goro @LizzyM @gyngyn (thanks!)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user