1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Worth Sending Another Update Letter to UMich?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by WayChanger, Nov 18, 2005.

1. WayChanger

WayChanger Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hey guys...

I was one of the deferred December decision applicants for UMich, and I just just sent an update letter this past Monday describing my academic/extracurricular activities this past summer and this current fall.

Today, I received notice that I won the English Department award (I'm an English major). It's a merit prize worth $1000, and it's faculty nominated. Since I won it last year as well, a different professor must have nominated me for this year. Should I send UMich another letter telling them I received this prize? Is it significant enough to write another letter for? Or am I going to look neurotic, since I just sent an update on Monday? Since I won it last year as well, it's on my AMCAS once already...Hard decision...

Thanks guys

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. thegenius

thegenius Senior Wharf Rat
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Not a difficult decision at all. Send them another update letter.

4. WayChanger

WayChanger Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Haha...is it really that obvious? I guess I'm kind of concerned that I might look neurotic sending two update letters within a week of each other.

5. WayChanger

WayChanger Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    bump? any other opinions?

6. thegenius

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    what does bump mean?

The admissions committee meets on December 14th. You can send them another letter with your update a week earlier so it doesn't seem like you are hounding them with updates.

7. WayChanger

WayChanger Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Bump means I'm pushing the thread up, so other people will see it. Thanks for the reply, though, that seems reasonable. =) Are all decisions going to be made on December 14th? I called the admissions office and the lady said the committee was indeed meeting on the 14th, but decisions could be made on the deferred people anytime in December. Do you have reason to be certain that the 14th is the magic day?

Cheers

8. thegenius

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I called them too and they told me that the admissions committee meets on December 14th to decide on the deferred decisions. I'm just relaying what I heard, it's possible I didn't ask the right question.