worth sending update of awards received?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1956Goldtop

I got a few awards from my school recently and was wondering if it was worth sending to schools that I have already been accepted to for financial aid/scholarship purposes. Would sending this sort of update be seen as pretty ridiculous? I don't want to come off as a tool but want to increase my chances of getting a decent scholarship at any of my accepted schools.

Members don't see this ad.

I got a few awards from my school recently and was wondering if it was worth sending to schools that I have already been accepted to for financial aid/scholarship purposes. Would sending this sort of update be seen as pretty ridiculous? I don't want to come off as a tool but want to increase my chances of getting a decent scholarship at any of my accepted schools.

I think you should do anything you can to increase your chances of getting accepted/scholarship money. The limiting factor is how much of your dignity you want to put on the line in sucking up.

I had already sent in the scholarship app for one of my schools and it had a spot for honors/awards... I recently was invited to PBK, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to update them. I sent an email saying I wondered if they could add it to my app, and the FA woman replied by just saying congrats and of course she would. So I don't see the harm!

Congrats on whatever award(s) you got! :hardy:

Members don't see this ad :)
dah thats pretty much the only thing that limits me. Does one send these post-acceptance updates to financial aid office or committee on admissions?

I think you should do anything you can to increase your chances of getting accepted/scholarship money. The limiting factor is how much of your dignity you want to put on the line in sucking up.

dah thats pretty much the only thing that limits me. Does one send these post-acceptance updates to financial aid office or committee on admissions?

Sent mine to the FA office.

I believe committee of admissions, to the med school office, or to the director.

And yea, I refuse to bow down to Penn ever again...my knees already hurt so much.

yea i figured i should just send it as a normal update to the admissions office since they are proably the ones who decide what u can get beyond what the financial aid office can give u just from your fafsa etc.

Yes, I think that anything that will help you with admissions and financial aid is more than a green light. If possible, you might have a school that gives merit aid as well. So send those letters in ASAP.

It's interesting... I was talking with the Dean of Admissions for a US medical school today, and he said that he didn't want applicants to list any awards on their AMCAS application. He said that he assumed that if students received good grades, they would have won awards. He wanted to hear about other things that the student has done. This may be normal, but it surprised me a bit.

What all can be considered as part of the honors &awards section? Scholarships? Would I be able to list scholarships I received from other schools that I did not end up attending (for like law school)? or only those national scholarships like Goldwater?