Medical Worth submitting DO secondaries now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This might just be more of a personal decision but I'm trying to decide if it's worth the money (250 bucks total for these 2 secondaries alone) to complete my remaining DO secondaries that weren't sent until semi recently. Or if I should just not waste my time or spend that on throwing in another reach MD school.

I have high mcat, but average GPA & 3.5 sgpa which is why I added several DO schools 2 months ago. I have 3 MD iis that I received the first day that those schools started sending their iis out (if that makes a difference). I applied to 25 MDs and while I'm grateful for the iis I don't want to assume anything until I have an actual A

Does this sound like submitting those secondaries are worth the money for "backup"?
For most SDNers, reaches are donations. Go with the surest bet, but in answer to your question, you can hold off until November for those secondaries.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks Goro! Will do. Just some follow up qs:

1. Will it look bad/disinterested to basically ignore them til November?

2. I'm at the ~10th %ile science, around or above the 25th %ile overall, and median for MCAT at the "top schools." Unfortunately, these discrepancies have made it hard to evaluate well, although I do have a strong upward trend in GPA and a few pubs. Would you consider this in the donation realm for reaches? I really don't mind where I go, but only 1-2 of my schools are reaches so that's why I was thinking of shooting my shot at another
Med schools are not like jealous dates, standing around with a stopwatch to see how long it takes you to respond to an offer of going to the prom.

Give me your stats and then I can advise. Some Top Schools are more in striking distance than others. Also give year by year cGPAs and sGPAs.

3.6/3.5s
3.5/3.2s
3.9 both
Total: 3.7/3.5s

My IIs so far are from OOS public schools that are a bit more on the "OOS friendly" side and one "low-yield" one. Nothing from my DOs -- it's been 2 months but I know it's still early
These are the schools I would recommend:
Columbia
Vandy
Dartmouth
BU
Duke
Pitt
Mayo
Mt Sinai
Keck (maybe)
UCSF
EVMS
U Miami
Hofstra
Emory
Jefferson
Drexel
Albany
Tufts
NYMC
Your state schools
Rush
Loyola
Rosy Franklin
Tulane
Wake
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Wayne State
Netter
NYU.LI
NYU
WashU

Any DO program. I can't recommend Nova, Wm Carey, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CUHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites. UIW refuses to post their Boards scores, which is fishy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Complete at 2 PCOM campuses, LECOM, UNECOM, NYITCOM

The remaining secondaries are for Touro-NY & NSU. I was originally planning to add a few more (rvu, cusom, osu-com) too after getting through all the MD secondaries but decided against it after I got the iis

I would hold off on the last two secondaries.

Status
Not open for further replies.