Worth taking on scribing job for someone applying this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Homunculus150

Reaction score
Here is my situation:

I had previously applied and gotten hired to multiple scribe positions, all of which were cancelled before they began due to COVID.

I was fortunate enough to be given an AmeriCorp position by an organization I had been volunteering with so I have been working full time.

However, a local physician who volunteers at my work place told me that there may be an opening for me to work part time as a scribe at her clinic.

My current clinical hours are okay; I have around 200 hours of clinical volunteering (helped with random tasks at a hospital and talked to patients but nothing directly medical) and 50 hours of shadowing.

Since I am already working full time, adding this position, even part time, will take up most of the free time I have remaining.

As someone who is applying this cycle, would taking this job be of any benefit to me with regards to my med school apps this late in the game?

Members don't see this ad.

No. I believe it was WYSDOC that said updates to the admissions should be of significant. you add a few hours to your more than enough clinical volunteering would not change their decision about your application.

Reactions: 1 user
No. I believe it was WYSDOC that said updates to the admissions should be of significant. you add a few hours to your more than enough clinical volunteering would not change their decision about your application.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I would have been willing to take it near the beginning of summer if I could have gotten an extra 500+ clinical hours but I'll probably only get 100-150 additional hours to add onto my app before final decisions at this point. Like you said, I had doubt that any schools would care about that enough to swing from an R to an II or A with just that.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you are a strong candidate who will probably be competitive this cycle then I don't see any upside this late in the game.

I just got waitlisted at my state school which was my one and only interview so far. Am reconsidering the scribe position now since there is a real possibility that I will have to repeat this cycle :(

I just got waitlisted at my state school which was my one and only interview so far. Am reconsidering the scribe position now since there is a real possibility that I will have to repeat this cycle :(

This is a sound plan. If you end up getting an acceptance, you can tender your resignation notice then unless you're enjoying yourself (unlikely).