Worth taking undergrad biochem 2?

Discussion in 'Dental' started by MaChVa, Jan 6, 2009.

1. MaChVa

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    For anyone who is in dental school and took biochem in undergrad, do you think it helped you out much when taking biochem in dental school? I have spoken to a few dental students about this topic and surprisingly it seems like most students said that undergrad biochem didn't really help them much for biochem in dental school and that it was still very difficult. I was just wondering what some more people's thoughts were on this before I sign up to take biochem 2 next semester.

2. cookand

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    From my experience, it will help you in 1 course in DS.

3. Count Orlok

Count Orlok Octagonecologyst
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student

I took biochem in undergrad the last semester before i graduated just so i would have it before getting to dental school. I worked really hard in the class, not just barely enough to get an A. When i got to dental school I was leagues ahead of my class. I would definitely say take it for exposure, but don't just settle to learn the stuff taught in the class read your book an other resourses and it will prepare you very well for what is to come.

4. Lurchdubious

Lurchdubious the Homeless Ninja
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Couldn't hurt. Go for it.

5. Vancitygirl

2+ Year Member

I definitely agree with the previous poster who said it was well worth it. I was applying to Canadian schools that require biochem as a pre-req so I took it in undergrad. I actually ended up liking it quite a bit so I worked pretty hard and did well and it definetly payed off this year when I took biochem in dental school. I would highly recommend doing so as a lot of people did struggle with it.

6. Istr8nthem

5+ Year Member

Dentist
    I would take it. I didn't take any biochem in undergrad and as a result I worked much harder in dental school biochem than my colleagues who took undergrad biochem did. It is safe to say that biochem was closer to a 6 credit class for me in dental school when it was only 2 credits on paper (2 credits fall semester and 2 credits spring semester).

7. carbide

carbide i'm hungry
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I took full year of Biochem and it was definitely made it easier especially since I took Biochem first thing in d school. It helped make the transition easier because it was simply an condensed review of undergrad. No specific mechanism memorization just the main idea.

8. Sandman8

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I'd take it because some schools might let you get out of their biochemistry course if you had an A or AB in Biochemistry in undergrad

9. makushin

makushin Member
    10+ Year Member

Dental Student

#9 makushin, Jan 14, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  10. dkroner

dkroner Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    I would definitely recommend taking bchm in undergrad. I took a year of it in my senior year, and only began dental school 3 years later. I remember taking biochem in my first semester of dental school (along with other tough classes that I didn't get much exposure too or simply forgot) and thinking thank god I don't have to study biochem so i can focus on other sciences. It was a huge Help.