Worth the time and money

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nrddct

carlover
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I bother filling out secondaries for schools where I don't meet the minimum criteria?

Ex. Miami Miller requires out of state applicant GPA's of 3.6 and MCATs of 30+
I have a 3.4 GPA. and waiting for my MCAT scores.

Members don't see this ad.

nrddct said:
Should I bother filling out secondaries for schools where I don't meet the minimum criteria?

Ex. Miami Miller requires out of state applicant GPA's of 3.6 and MCATs of 30+
I have a 3.4 GPA. and waiting for my MCAT scores.

I'd ask them. Be honest. Say something like, "I'm very interested in your school, but I don't meet your published numerical minimums. Will you still consider my app?"

I doubt they will, but it's worth the question.

I wonder why they sent me the link to their secondary apps?

Members don't see this ad :)
nrddct said:
I wonder why they sent me the link to their secondary apps?

Many schools don't screen. They may not have even looked at your app prior to sending the secondary link. Some don't even get your app first, they just send the secondary in response to a mail from AAMC that tells them who is designating their school. Benefit to them is that if you send the fee, they keep it to their profit.

ah, thanks I be sure to do more research before filling out more secondaries.

I am pretty sure they are firm on their published criteria (Miller). I would not apply with less that a 3.6. They screen according to the GPA (3.6), and a minimum MCAT of 24 before sending you a secondary.

I would definitely not bother applying ... I'm in state, and their minimum for us is 24 mcat and 3.2 gpa. Well, I have a 36 mcat and 3.19 gpa, and was automatically rejected due to not meeting qualifications. From what I've heard, you can be a bit low on the mcat side of the equation if your gpa is outstanding, but if your gpa is to low (by even 1/100th!!) don't bother. Good luck!

greendot said:
I would definitely not bother applying ... I'm in state, and their minimum for us is 24 mcat and 3.2 gpa. Well, I have a 36 mcat and 3.19 gpa, and was automatically rejected due to not meeting qualifications. From what I've heard, you can be a bit low on the mcat side of the equation if your gpa is outstanding, but if your gpa is to low (by even 1/100th!!) don't bother. Good luck!

That's insane!

The school will galdly cash your check and stick it to you. Put that money to good use and send a secondary somwehere else.

Too bad about Miami.

Good thing you are a Texas resident though. You will most likely get much love from the LONE STAR!