Worthless Campus Medical fair

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MossPoh

Textures intrigue me
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So today I was walking on campus and I saw this sign that said "Medical College Fair" or something along those lines and I think to myself "Yippie, maybe I'll get some useful information, or at least some free pens." I strut my stuff into this room with my neat little nametag and major underneath it to find all of about 6 booths there. "Intriguing" I think...I use words like intriguing because it makes me feel smart ya know? Anyway..my eyes scan over the various booths.......chiropractor school, optometry, chiropractor, drexel (at least one real school), optometry, holistic medicine or something, navy stand (I got a laynard and pen out of the deal), and AUC.......Rather than look at the booths, do a 180 and burn out of there I kind of meandered over to the AUC guy. I was curious...my grades aren't that swift so I don't discount anything. I start talking to the guy..My god he was the used car salesman of medical schools, comeover included. I asked him a bunch of questions which I already knew the answer to..just to see what he'd respond with.

me: "So what's the average gpa and mcat of your students?", AUC: "Fantastic, we have a 3.4 and 28 mcat average"

Quote 1: while I don't DOUBT that there were/are people with those stats..that implies that people actually have HIGHER stats and those aren't too bad at all..refer to the next one.

He continued to say they "ONLY have an accetpance rate of 46%"
That makes it seem like you are applying to a state school with a 3.0 high school gpa or something. (Talking mediochre state schools)

I asked him what their residency match list was like, do most go into primary care and internal medicine?
Him: "Fantastic, the only about 40 percent do primary care or internal medicine, the rest do pediatrics, obgyn, and surgery." I don't need to point the flaws out with this either.

Anyway, this continued for about ten minutes until I shook his hand, wiped off the grease from his hand and walked out with my free pen. Hey, I did get some pretty carribean pictures out of it.

Anyone else have simliar situations like this? I don't hate on people that decide to go to these schools, who knows I may be one, but I do hate on this salesman approach to a medical education. He was activley hating on Ross and SGU. hell, I saw Ross hanging little fliers in various buildings with a piece of paper you pull off to get an application....like it is the university of phoenix online mba or something. Ok rant done ...anti-climatic finish done, moderators move to wherever this will go if you want. :p

Members don't see this ad.