Worthy of an update letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pigsinacloth

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if the following items should be mentioned to schools in an update letter. I feel like certain schools that really like updates would enjoy hearing about the first two, but I am not sure if the other two are relevant enough to mention at this time.

So I have become the head person of a small volunteer organization

I started volunteering as a mentoring/tutor for a local middle school kid.

I will start a new volunteer research position in January on top of my full time job as a clinical research coordinator, which was already listed on my primary.

I was also accepted as a reviewer for a very small very new journal, but I don’t think that actually means anything to schools.

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if the following items should be mentioned to schools in an update letter. I feel like certain schools that really like updates would enjoy hearing about the first two, but I am not sure if the other two are relevant enough to mention at this time.

I will start a new volunteer research position in January on top of my full time job as a clinical research coordinator, which was already listed on my primary.

I was also accepted as a reviewer for a very small very new journal, but I don’t think that actually means anything to schools.

1. Yes
2. No ( I remember goro saying tutoring within a school system is not really impressive. If you branched to tutoring immigrants or whatever. Then it’ll be worth mentioning. )
3. No ( others can chime in but the volunteer organization sounds more impressive)
4. If you reviewed some articles already then you should add it.

1 and 4 are potentially interesting. No reason not to mention 2 and 3 if you are sending an update about the others.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

1. So did you mention this volunteer organization in your primary/secondary? How long have you been the head person? If it has been a few months that you’ve been in charge and you didn’t mention it In a previous update it might be okay. But if it’s newish and you are really just starting, wait until you have more experience and can talk about it more effectively.
2. I’m conflicted on the mentoring/ tutoring Gigs. If you don’t have tutoring and you now have a significant amount it might be okay for an update.
3. Big NO for now. Lots can happen between now and January. You may might not even start. Wait until to get significant experience in this area .
4. This one can be interesting but have you done anything with it yet. Reviewed any articles? Worked with authors on getting the articles ready for publication.

Admission offices are busy and reviewers are even busier. It might be counterproductive to submit a batch of updates that really don’t enhance your application. So be careful, think about it and make sure schools even accept updates pre or post interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
1. Yes
2. No ( I remember goro saying tutoring within a school system is not really impressive. If you branched to tutoring immigrants or whatever. Then it’ll be worth mentioning. )
3. No ( others can chime in but the volunteer organization sounds more impressive)
4. If you reviewed some articles already then you should add it.

Unless the journal is a predatory one. How are you reviewing articles before medical school? do you have a PhD?

Unless the journal is a predatory one. How are you reviewing articles before medical school? do you have a PhD?

Lol are you talking to me?

Although it seems strange, when I was doing research, my PI would often mention that if you involve yourself in an activity he can typically include as one of the contributors. For example, I helped him with an image for a textbook and he included as a contributor for that chapter. Maybe OP is helping a PI?

Lol are you talking to me?

Although it seems strange, when I was doing research, my PI would often mention that if you involve yourself in an activity he can typically include as one of the contributors. For example, I helped him with an image for a textbook and he included as a contributor for that chapter. Maybe OP is helping a PI?

No, talking to OP. Yes but she said she was a reviewer, not “My PI was a reviewer”.

No, talking to OP. Yes but she said she was a reviewer, not “My PI was a reviewer”.
So it's an undergraduate research journal that has PhDs and others (undergrads and recent grads) review articles. So it would have 3 PhDs review and then allow me to review. I would then get the opportunity to see the comments that the PhDs had to help me learn and grow.

Thank you everyone for your comments they have been very helpful!