Dec 25, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hello friends,

I'll keep it short: I applied with only 50 nonclinical volunteering hours on my primary, in part due to covid nixing my volunteer opportunities. Well, now that some activities have resumed, I've added 100 hours food banking this semester. I'm still doing this at around 10 hours a week now since classes are over, so that number will increase rapidly.

The question is: at what point is it worthy to update my remaining schools? Obviously my volunteering is a deficiency, and I know it's dragging my app down. But I also don't want to send an app that isn't substantial enough. There's a sweet spot somewhere in the next few weeks I'm sure, but I don't know what it is.

Any advice on what to do?

Thanks!

Feb 5, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
To me, I don’t update unless there are multiple significant changes, like research publication, meaningful volunteering, and/or even personal life crisis, followed by your motivation specific to each school. Remember that MD admissions is a holistic process, and I doubt 50 —> 150 hour volunteering will make a huge difference in your app. Just my two cents.

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.