Would a family medicine letter of rec be inappropriate for anesthesia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunealoneal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of my best experiences in my 3rd year was my time in family medicine. Would it be okay to get a letter from that physician? Or would it appear less than ideal?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's actually encouraged to have a letter that's not from an anesthesiologist. I would just try to make sure you have a couple from anesthesiologists along with the family medicine one.

Reactions: 1 user
Can I add my neuroticism to the pile? Is there any problem with my plan:

- chair of medicine (worked with him clinically and have done research with him-- he offered to write a letter proactively)
- burn surgeon (worked 1:1 with him [no residents, etc.] for a month -- he also offered proactively)
- academic anesthesiologist
- community anesthesiologist

These are all faculty at a large midwestern state school, with the exception of the community doc, obviously.

I'd plan to drop the community letter for any program that had a hard stop at 3 letters.

Anyone who can provide an honest and solid assessments of your traits and skills is a good letter writer. At the residency stage it is perfectly acceptable to have non-specialty writers (you still need one or two within the field of course) - we found some of the strongest letters come from these experiences during medical school, since you didn't spend the entire time doing anesthesiology rotations.

Some applicants go out and seek a big name (chairman, big researcher, etc...) within anesthesiology and unless they've done significant work with him or her it ends up being a lukewarm form letter which is pretty easy to spot. Go get a letter with some panache!

Come fellowship it's more important to have subspecialty-specific writers, but that's a different discussion. OP and @repititionition will be fine with their plans.

Reactions: 1 user
One of my best experiences in my 3rd year was my time in family medicine. Would it be okay to get a letter from that physician? Or would it appear less than ideal?

I used non anesthesia LOR for some of them.

Echo the sentiments above. As long as you have an anesthesiologist letter the others can be from other fields. Honestly think the programs want to see who you are as a person first, before they look at what you did on your anesthesia rotation; so anyone who can vouch for you in a positive light, I'd go with them.

As a reference I had 2 anesthesiologist letters, 1 surgery and 1 hospitalist letter (for the prelim Med spots)