Would a med school revoke an acceptance if you drop 2nd major after being accepted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pbehzad

Faddayy
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was thinking about dropping my 2nd major, biology, but I fear that if I do then the med school I got accepted to may revoke admissions? I completely bombed my 1st biochem exam (I'm too lazy to care), and I need the course for the major. So, now I'm thinking with some effort I could get like a C, C-. I'm fearful that a C- would just look too bad on my final transcript, thats why I'm a little concerned.
Ok well any advice on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on how you applied to AMCAS. If you listed the minor/major then you are obligated to complete it. If you didn't then the school will never know about it.

Either way, write an email to the dean or call the adcom and see what they say. Good luck!

I believe that to be true for majors (though at the same time, if you finish their academic requirements I can't think they'll get all uppity) but I don't believe it to be true for minors. I'm a molecular and cellular biology major, but dropped my physiology minor halfway through the application process and no one seemed to care. From their perspective, as long as you've finished your pre-reqs and whatever academic work they require, all they care about is a diploma. But that's just an applicant's understanding, calling your admissions people should clear it up and since you seem to indicate you're already in, I don't think they'll be upset.

Members don't see this ad :)
pbehzad said:
So I was thinking about dropping my 2nd major, biology, but I fear that if I do then the med school I got accepted to may revoke admissions? I completely bombed my 1st biochem exam (I'm too lazy to care), and I need the course for the major. So, now I'm thinking with some effort I could get like a C, C-. I'm fearful that a C- would just look too bad on my final transcript, thats why I'm a little concerned.
Ok well any advice on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

No they won't. You worried too much. Drop it.

I agree. Drop it. I dropped my chem major during admissions and it didn't mean a thing. It's not worth the extra work. You have a long road ahead of you. Don't do pointless extra work unless it's really interesting to you.

dude, that's dumb. don't drop the class if that makes u drop the major. just take the class and take the C. they'd u rather have the C and have the major than just drop the major. and plus having bio chem now and being exposed to it is much better. that's fine if u don't care. but i wouldn't. no way jose.

I dropped my chem minor.. I don't think anyone would have cared even if I had kept it.

But if that is the last class that you need to take for the bio major, then I would advice you to just take it. At least you won't have any regrets of not getting a double major just because of one class (that's what I would think).
I am doing a double major in bio and psch.. these last classes are so boring and a pain to take. I've grown too lazy this semester, but I still decided to keep them. I think I'll be happier with two majors. :)

I doubt any med school will revoke admission for not getting that major though. It's not a requirement in any school and it's no different than stopping any volunteer/research earlier than what you proposed in the AMCAS. I don't know anyone who was denied admission for doing the latter.

So, just think about it without worrying about the med school part. You could call them up and ask to put your mind at ease.

I agree with the above poster,
There has been a ton of these types of threads on SDN. (ie. whats if i fail a class/drop a class/withdraw/change major/ dont graduate.) The consensus has been that all the posts on these threads are pure speculation. The only way to know for sure is to call up your school and ask. Don't be embarresed to ask admissions reps those types of questions; I'm sure they get have been asked 'what if' questions before.

I have heard from a lot of med students that biochem is among the hardest classes during the first 2 years. The ones that didn't take it in undergrad wished they would have. With this said, it may be wise to struggle through it now, so it won;t be as big of a struggle later!

...Do you really want to drop a whole major just because of one class?