Would a medical school consider an applicant that didn't finish high school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Evisju7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got my GED and went straight to community college. In high school, during my sophomore year, I became ill and had to leave school for a while. Then I ended up going to a private "catch-up" type school, to try to make up lost time. It was just taking forever, so I decided to go to college.

I was still dealing with the illness and family issues my first semester. I didn't do well. I took a semester off and re-thought. Then, when I came back, my grades started to dramatically improve. I have made straight A's since. My gpa from there still isn't optimal, but the improvement surprised everyone. I realized my classes are the key to my future and that made me focus on them. (I've always been super-nerd, I just forgot who I was for a bit)

Anyways, I'm now going to a university. I'm a sophomore and I won't know my gpa until winter. Fortunately, I was able to start new with my grades at this school.

In applying to medical school, I will have to submit ALL of my coursework..from all schools. Even though I'm doing very well now, I didn't finish high school, and I didn't do well my first semester of college. On top of that, I completed an entire school year at a community college. That doesn't look so great.

Will I still have a chance?

Members don't see this ad.

I got my GED and went straight to community college. In high school, during my sophomore year, I became ill and had to leave school for a while. Then I ended up going to a private "catch-up" type school, to try to make up lost time. It was just taking forever, so I decided to go to college.

I was still dealing with the illness and family issues my first semester. I didn't do well. I took a semester off and re-thought. Then, when I came back, my grades started to dramatically improve. I have made straight A's since. My gpa from their still isn't optimal, but the improvement surprised everyone I knew. I realized my classes were the key to my future and that made me focus on them. (I've always been super-nerd, I just forgot who I was for a bit)

Anyways, I'm now going to a University. I'm a sophomore and I won't know my gpa until winter. Fortunately, I was able to start new with my grades at this school.

In applying to medical school, I will have to submit ALL of my coursework..from all schools. Even though I'm doing very well now, I didn't finish high school, and I didn't do well my first semester of college. On top of that, I completed an entire school year at a community college. That doesn't look so great.

Will I still have a chance?
You will be judged on how you have distinguished yourself in your field of study, your mastery of the sciences and your validated commitment to service, not how well or poorly you did in high school.

Reactions: 3 users
Yes, you still have a chance. Med schools won't care if you didn't finish HS. And lots of med school applicants have CC credits when they apply. Drown out your poorer grades with a sea of recent As, and consider retaking any prerequisite coursework where you earned a C or lower to be sure you master it for the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user