Would A PhD Alone Qualify For Teaching at Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IWant2BeADoctor

License to Matriculate
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do Med schools not hire Professors with PhD's alone since there are MD/PhD programs? I'm interested in doing a PhD in Anatomy or Physiology. I've heard a PhD a health science related field is in high demand these days and generally has higher pay if your planning on being a Professor than a PhD in the humanities.

Members don't see this ad.

if your research is good, then yes.

Do Med schools not hire Professors with PhD's alone since there are MD/PhD programs? I'm interested in doing a PhD in Anatomy or Physiology. I've heard a PhD a health science related field is in high demand these days and generally has higher pay if your planning on being a Professor than a PhD in the humanities.

My PI whom I did my internship with was a world-renowned investigator on studying the disease and so he teaches at the medical schools about the disease. As you know, med school classes are often taught by a group of professors (seminar style) who are experts in the field.

Members don't see this ad :)

Probably 90% of the people who teach the basic science classes in the first 2 years of med school are PhDs. They also teach graduate students in other departmental classes and do research. Departments may have a few people who only teach, but for the most part, you have to do some research (write grants) to bring in money for the department. Medical school classes are not like undergrad classes where 1 professor teaches the entire class all semester. In med school, the various instructors give a certain number of lectures and that is it. However, in gross anatomy, more professors are involved on a regular basis.

I'm not sure about the "high demand" part. Getting a tenure-track position is can be difficult.

You can definitely be an anatomy prof with just a PhD. I can't really tell you whether it's better to have an MD vs. a PhD though if that's your career track. YOu should talk to someone in your career counseling center.

Man, I don't know about getting a PhD just so you can teach at a medical school...Not worth it in my opinion. Plus teaching med students can be awful.