Would A PhD Alone Qualify For Teaching at Medical School?

Discussion in 'Physician Scientists' started by IWant2BeADoctor, Mar 1, 2007.

1. IWant2BeADoctor

IWant2BeADoctor License to Matriculate
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Do Med schools not hire Professors with PhD's alone since there are MD/PhD programs? I'm interested in doing a PhD in Anatomy or Physiology. I've heard a PhD a health science related field is in high demand these days and generally has higher pay if your planning on being a Professor than a PhD in the humanities.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. qwopty99

qwopty99 Optometrist
    7+ Year Member

if your research is good, then yes.

4. lovexn

lovexn The Devil who wears Panda
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    My PI whom I did my internship with was a world-renowned investigator on studying the disease and so he teaches at the medical schools about the disease. As you know, med school classes are often taught by a group of professors (seminar style) who are experts in the field.

5. Circumflex

Circumflex Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Probably 90% of the people who teach the basic science classes in the first 2 years of med school are PhDs. They also teach graduate students in other departmental classes and do research. Departments may have a few people who only teach, but for the most part, you have to do some research (write grants) to bring in money for the department. Medical school classes are not like undergrad classes where 1 professor teaches the entire class all semester. In med school, the various instructors give a certain number of lectures and that is it. However, in gross anatomy, more professors are involved on a regular basis.

I'm not sure about the "high demand" part. Getting a tenure-track position is can be difficult.

6. QofQuimica

QofQuimica Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
    You can definitely be an anatomy prof with just a PhD. I can't really tell you whether it's better to have an MD vs. a PhD though if that's your career track. YOu should talk to someone in your career counseling center.

7. greg12345

greg12345 New Member
    2+ Year Member

Man, I don't know about getting a PhD just so you can teach at a medical school...Not worth it in my opinion. Plus teaching med students can be awful.

8. Auraraptor

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    +1