Would Adcoms be annoyed if I explained why I submitted secondaries close to the end of the 2-3 week deadline?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted831936

I submitted the primary AMCAS application on 6/14, was verified and received a batch of secondaries on 7/13. Within the last two weeks, I was thankfully hired at a job after months of unsuccessful job hunting, had to move to a cheaper apartment because I couldn't afford my current one (at the time, I didn't have the job when I signed the new lease), and thankfully finally received an important LOR this Monday (the moment my LOR was uploaded to AMCAS, I submitted a large batch of secondaries with my new address in the order I received them).

If I explained these circumstances, would it sound excusatory? I'm concerned many schools use the secondary submission date as a proxy for interest in their school and that by explaining these circumstances, it would clarify that I AM interested.

I am doing my best to submit the rest of the secondaries that are also near their 2-3 week deadlines but can't help but wonder at the simultaneously serendipitous and unfortunate timing of these events (and for kicking past me for not prewriting as many as I could).

Thank you all! I would really appreciate any recommendations!

Members don't see this ad.

I submitted the primary AMCAS application on 6/14, was verified and received a batch of secondaries on 7/13. Within the last two weeks, I was thankfully hired at a job after months of unsuccessful job hunting, had to move to a cheaper apartment because I couldn't afford my current one (at the time, I didn't have the job when I signed the new lease), and thankfully finally received an important LOR this Monday (the moment my LOR was uploaded to AMCAS, I submitted a large batch of secondaries with my new address in the order I received them).

If I explained these circumstances, would it sound excusatory? I'm concerned many schools use the secondary submission date as a proxy for interest in their school and that by explaining these circumstances, it would clarify that I AM interested.

I am doing my best to submit the rest of the secondaries that are also near their 2-3 week deadlines but can't help but wonder at the simultaneously serendipitous and unfortunate timing of these events (and for kicking past me for not prewriting as many as I could).

maybe my AdCom colleagues would have a different opinion, but personally i would be annoyed.... when we interviewed applicants, we are asked to think: "would i want to have that person as a classmate?" in this case, i am afraid, my answer would be a no.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@M&L
maybe my AdCom colleagues would have a different opinion, but personally i would be annoyed.... when we interviewed applicants, we are asked to think: "would i want to have that person as a classmate?" in this case, i am afraid, my answer would be a no.

Thanks for your perspective haha, could you elaborate a little more on why you wouldn't want someone like this as a classmate?

Reactions: 1 user
I’m sure Adcoms aren’t waiting for your application with a stopwatch. Just do the best you can.

I appreciate that a lot! I've heard otherwise, but this is reassuring. I'll definitely focus on finishing my remaining secondaries.

@M&L

Thanks for your perspective haha, could you elaborate a little more on why you wouldn't want someone like this as a classmate?
I think it’s because you’re being neurotic lol

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
@M&L

once again, this is just my opinion. But sounds like a person who would come to me during my office hours and explain in great detail why they made this mistake, and what they were thinking when they made it. Or the same person who over-organizes all the study groups, and annoys all the group members about it. I am a kind of the person who believes in getting things done as fast as possible and i am allergic to people who make excuses. And, even though you have a legitimate reason for what happened, and i KNOW it doesnt sound like you are this type of person at ALL, if i read it as a potential AdCom member, to me it WOULD make it look like that you are either an overdetailed annoyingly anal person that i know i would never want to work with, or you are a person who is trying to blame everything on outside factors (which i hate even more). So, if i was the person reading your app (and, once again, this is just me. Maybe everyone else here would disagree with me) you would be in a lose/lose situation.

This year is crazy, so i really dont think anyone would think badly of you for being a little late. We are all doing our best, you know? It will be ok.

• Love
@M&L , @gonnif, @ciestar
Thanks yall!!! It was really helpful to get a different perspective from the other side. I'll focus on finishing the rest!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Is there any substance to the 2 week rule? Does 1 week vs 3 weeks make much of a difference?

Calling someone neurotic does not covey empathy or an understanding of his or her situation.

Secondaries are stressful and it’s definitely stressful how quickly they all pour in together. If you’re not able to hit the deadlines, just prioritize schools and do the best you can!

Good luck!

• Okay...
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Calling someone neurotic does not covey empathy or an understanding of his or her situation.

Secondaries are stressful and it’s definitely stressful how quickly they all pour in together. If you’re not able to hit the deadlines, just prioritize schools and do the best you can!

Good luck!
Thank you for your kindness and empathy! :')
I'm trying my best to deal with several life stressors at once. Thank you for this; it means a lot.

Good luck!
I don't think it's about hitting hard deadlines. OP is referring to the soft 2-week deadline born out of SDN neuroticism, which isn't exactly real. People get IIs even after submitting later.

I don't think it's about hitting hard deadlines. OP is referring to the soft 2-week deadline born out of SDN neuroticism, which isn't exactly real. People get IIs even after submitting later.

Most schools don't state anything but some do have requests ranging from recommendations to hard deadlines. It's not entirely born out of neuroticism, but if a school doesn't state anything, then killing yourself to meet the 2 week deadline is a bit silly.

Some schools that do have deadlines (hard or soft):
Case:
"we strongly recommend that you complete the secondary application within two weeks of receipt"

Netter:
"it is highly recommended that you complete the secondary application within two weeks of receipt"

To the more strongly worded KCU-COM:
"Complete the online form within the next 21 days. *If not submitted within 21 days, your application will be withdrawn."

Many others as asking for "in a timely manner" or as soon as possible, which is more vague.

Reactions: 2 users
@M&L , @gonnif, @ciestar
Thanks yall!!! It was really helpful to get a different perspective from the other side. I'll focus on finishing the rest!
Im insanely neurotic sometimes and I know how it comes off sometimes lol
At the end of the day, dont draw attention to it. You’ll be fine.

Reactions: 1 user

Applying to med school is not like dating. You're not dealing with a jealous individual.

Applying to med school is not like dating. You're not dealing with a jealous individual.
Exactly. You're dealing with an individual who has been put on a pedestal their entire life and is operating under a god complex.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users