Would any current podiatrist recommend this profession

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Last Reclaimer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am seeing a lot of negative feedback on here about podiatry. Blackhole-like debt/ saturation/ podiatry as a profession being attacked by ortho. I am a premed so I apologize for even posting here, but would any current podiatrist recommend this profession? I am a nervous pre-med who has been looking into podiatry and on paper, it seems like a really interesting specialty with lots of versatility. But when I came here it seems very doom and gloom and I just wanted to confirm this with current pods.

Members don't see this ad.

I have been out of residency about 2.5 years and anecdotally, I don't know any pods my age or younger that would do it over again. Not a single one from residency or my group of friends from school, and I know cause I have specifically asked them. This includes multiple private practice pods (all associates working towards partnership), 2 hospital pods and and a VA pod, again this is only a small sample but I do think it reflects poorly on our profession.

I recently had a student shadowing me, and ultimately I told them the profession should be a hard no if you already have a significant undergraduate student loan burden and are planning to finance the degree. If you are in good shape financially and really interested in podiatry then proceed with caution. In my opinion, there are high paying jobs available but just not enough to warrant the cost of education and opportunity lost for the average podiatrist.

Reactions: 1 user
My friends and my prior co residents seem happy to me.

I know my colleagues I work with locally are happy. We talk all the time.

Im happy and would do it again.

But you will find nothing but negativity on this board. Any chance we get to bash we hop right on board here.

Go out and shadow. See for yourself.

Further northeast you go and some parts of the south turns into a podiatry/ortho war.

Midwest, mountain west, west coast for the most part are much better working with ortho. Always exceptions (Seattle, etc).

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I'm happy with my career choice and with my compensation.

My colleagues I talk to regularly also share the same sentiments.

Reactions: 4 users
Reading the next two responses makes me think I need to make some changes... Glad to hear you guys are loving it. Believe it or not I am not normally a negative person.

There's plenty of positive things about the profession. It's just more fun (and sometimes cathartic) to list off the negative things. That's why it's overwhelmingly negative on these boards.

A few positives:

--if you're good with your hands, this is a VERY hands-on profession. Can be satisfying.
--plenty of time for hobbies, family, etc (podiatry generally is not crazy hours)
--while the pay (in most cases it seems) does not justify all the schooling, debt, and time it took to train--it's still a decent, dependable living
--laid back medical profession with very few (if any) lawsuits. I've been at it for close to 10 years and never even been threatened. *knocks on wood

side note: Most patients don't know or care about the ortho/podiatry "war". Many are shocked if they even notice that you're not an MD...so many of these "issues" are only issues to us. Patients don't care--they just want to get better.

Reactions: 5 users
There's plenty of positive things about the profession. It's just more fun (and sometimes cathartic) to list off the negative things. That's why it's overwhelmingly negative on these boards.

A few positives:

--if you're good with your hands, this is a VERY hands-on profession. Can be satisfying.
--plenty of time for hobbies, family, etc (podiatry generally is not crazy hours)
--while the pay (in most cases it seems) does not justify all the schooling, debt, and time it took to train--it's still a decent, dependable living
--laid back medical profession with very few (if any) lawsuits. I've been at it for close to 10 years and never even been threatened. *knocks on wood

side note: Most patients don't know or care about the ortho/podiatry "war". Many are shocked if they even notice that you're not an MD...so many of these "issues" are only issues to us. Patients don't care--they just want to get better.
I remember this sales pitch. Everyone I am close with works very long hours. I think this is a flat out lie that has been passed down over and over.

But with long hours comes increased pay

If podiatry were in the MD match, I have no doubt it'd be top half in competitiveness for residency spots. I had a couple general surgery residents at my hospital ask me at parties at my place if they could switch... probably half joking - yet not totally, lol (one did switch from GSurg to Rad after PGY2 hell).

Like other specialties, you can make podiatry what you want: bread and butter injects and insoles and warts and etc 9-5 M-F only, moderate surgery and wound care and injuries (most DPMs), or a lot of inpt and ER work with rigorous resident-like weekly call for trauma/infections. I would say, on average, podiatrist hours and schedule are akin to ENT or Uro with mostly clinic and some surgery.... and those are darn pretty popular in match.

The podiatry downside is that the compensation (overall) is not where it should be for a procedure-based specialty since we are not MDs, but the job quality is good to great. It is up to each grad to do as well in school, pass boards, and get as good of a residency as they can. If you do that, things usually fall in place... if you don't, your mileage may vary (just like MDs).

As for the student loans, if someone told you you could pay 250k to make 250/yr, that is a no brainer. Pay 250 to make 150 or pay 500 to make 250 is more murky. Pay 600 to make 100 is a no-go. That is up to each person and how frugal they can live, though. I am fine with the gym and local bike/hike trails instead of Ibiza or a 4wd luxury SUV. I've never lived the "doctor lifestyle" or bought the "doctor house" or anything... I drive a 10 year old car and will probably never have a new car (or a car payment) as long as I live. Most people who do the "doctor" loans and mortgages and vacations (DPMs or MDs or whatever) will be working quite awhile, but that's their choice. Try this Fawcett book:
Amazon product

Last edited:
  • Care
Reading the next two responses makes me think I need to make some changes... Glad to hear you guys are loving it. Believe it or not I am not normally a negative person.
Yeah if youre not happy you need to figure out what bothers you. I'm not a fan of diabetic care so I have been phasing it out. Makes my day much more enjoyable.

Reactions: 1 users
I've never lived the "doctor lifestyle" or bought the "doctor house" or anything... I drive a 10 year old car and will probably never have a new car (or a car payment) as long as I live. Most people who do the "doctor" loans and mortgages and vacations (DPMs or MDs or whatever) will be working quite awhile, but that's their choice.
THIS!!!! If you live outside your means then good luck with any profession. You'll have to keep working and hustling. And if you plan to hustle then hustle for yourself at least. No one gonna take care of you and hold your hand and just "give you" a high salary.

I worked a lot of hard hours and lost a lot of weekends as a W-2. I don't mind it if the price is right. Here is some simple math: 500k practice revenue with 50% overhead + all the nice tax benefits made me realize I'll never ever want to be a 150k-200k associate DPM again.

THIS!!!! If you live outside your means then good luck with any profession. You'll have to keep working and hustling. And if you plan to hustle then hustle for yourself at least. No one gonna take care of you and hold your hand and just "give you" a high salary.

I worked a lot of hard hours and lost a lot of weekends as a W-2. I don't mind it if the price is right. Here is some simple math: 500k practice revenue with 50% overhead + all the nice tax benefits made me realize I'll never ever want to be a 150k-200k associate DPM again.
Not to derail the thread but is it pretty reasonable to expect 150k-200k as an pp associate a few years out?

To understand how you get there requires a quick math exercise:

Base Salary--- lets say 100k
So now you need to find 50k-100k to get to your "target" pay
Lets say you work at an associate farm that wants to give you a generous 20% cut of your earnings. WAIT you first need to bring in 2.5-3.5x your base.
So collections need to be 250-350k before you get your first dollar of commission. Now tack on another 250-500k and now you need to bring that business 500k-850k to make a W2 salary of 150-200k.

Now comes the fun part.... That collections may exclude the cost of the practice to acquire the DME. Who is gonna pay for your CME? $1000? Ha, enjoy "present podiatry" lectures with that amount. Keep dreaming your going to Chicago to learn about scopes on their dime. Who is gonna pay for your health/dental/vision insurance? Your post-tax dollars will. Gas? New set of tires driving to do all that hustling? On your dime. List goes on.

PP can be lucrative... if you want to run a business. Dont? Then I just dont see how this profession or any medical profession is worth it if you're incurring serious debt. Gotta weigh risk vs reward. So if you are gonna put in the hard work, invest in the most precious thing: your hands and brain and get to work for yourself.

Reactions: 3 users
The first five years I hated it. The second five years was mehhh. Now 20 years in, I like it. Pretty awesome, really.

Then again, I tried to point my kids towards dentistry. The anesthesiologist I worked with this morning said the same to his kids, ha ha.

Members don't see this ad :)
How many associates out there making 150k starting their first year out?

• Haha
Sorry this is off topic but my practice is actually looking to hire a well-trained surgical pod, focused on RRA cases. Must be comfortable performing complex cases solo from day 1 without intraop assistance from senior partners, although resident coverage is available. Minimal DFC. Located in upstate NY. PM me if you're interested, serious inquiries only please.

In PP it's difficult. See the above post to see why you have to collect the practice at least 500k to get that salary. So lets say you take a long time to credential then the practice can fudge reporting your numbers since they will have you see people under the other doc's credentialing and say they "supervised" you during the encounter. The other issue is if you need to create your own patient volume and that can take 3-6 months. The third issue is that we are "reimbursed" by insurances and patients. We take time to collect money. So if your practice lets a 6k deductible patient get bunion surgery and not collect fee upfront then good luck waiting for the surgery to go through then send the bill then patient ignore the 10 mailings for past due bill etc.

The vibe im getting is to steer clear of podiatry if its this grim. Thats sad to hear, looked like a rewarding career at first.

The vibe im getting is to steer clear of podiatry if its this grim. Thats sad to hear, looked like a rewarding career at first.

Here's the reality with these forums; everyone "bitches". Go look at the pathology forum or the anesthesiology forum, same crap. These forums represent a tiny tiny fraction of the Podiatrist population and is frankly not necessarily representative of that larger population.

IMO, Podiatry is "what you make of it". It can be a rewarding career but it can also being a boring drag, but that's true for pretty much most professions.

I remember this sales pitch. Everyone I am close with works very long hours. I think this is a flat out lie that has been passed down over and over.

But with long hours comes increased pay
I dunno...maybe the trick is to be in a rural environment. I don't get many hospital consults, and I work 8-5 Monday through Friday. I don't get much vacation at all, but I make time for fun stuff. I make well over the above-mentioned $150K. So... no, not a flat out lie.

I dunno...maybe the trick is to be in a rural environment. I don't get many hospital consults, and I work 8-5 Monday through Friday. I don't get much vacation at all, but I make time for fun stuff. I make well over the above-mentioned $150K. So... no, not a flat out lie.

Same here. My partners and I have plenty of time to pursue hobbies, travel (in the before-times, of course), recreate, and have fun. No hospital call, nothing terribly strenuous. None of us are hurting financially.

Maybe I need to make some changes then.

...But that golden carrot. Its always there dangling in front of me.

Everyone is so focused on "starting" salaries. That's like saying... gee what will my 401k portfolio look like after year 1. Education and training is an investment of time and money. You want to make good on that return.

That number is about where most associates peak after several years, usually with no additional benefits. Expect to start in the 5 figure range...

Pro tip: if you work as an associate for another podiatrist, you will most likely get royally screwed

Maybe I need to make some changes then.

...But that golden carrot. Its always there dangling in front of me.
I get that...if there truly were more carrots dangling in front of me (I'm an associate in PP), I guess I might put more hours in--at the point I'm at now though, I value my personal and family time (and my sanity) more than the little bit extra I would make to put the long hours in.

In PP it's difficult. See the above post to see why you have to collect the practice at least 500k to get that salary.
To be fair, you don't have to collect $500k for a practice to be able to afford to pay you $150k. That's 30% of collections which in the rest of medicine (from what I've seen from MD/DO colleagues), is a complete rip-off. Even as an associate. But you're correct that a typical podiatry associate contract requires that kind of revenue to be generated for that pay

The other issue is if you need to create your own patient volume and that can take 3-6 months.
Podiatry practices are awful about this. You need to be booked out for several weeks before you consider hiring an associate, unless you are hiring so that you can slow down. Podiatrists are notorious for hiring before their own clinic is even "full" which makes that time to get ~15 patients per day take a lot longer than it should in many practices.

Everyone is so focused on "starting" salaries.
It's such a glaring discrepancy for younger DPMs (ie podiatry group associate vs hospital/MSG employed) that it makes sense. It's easy to focus on those numbers when it can be a $500k difference in just the first 2-3 years. And that's not an exaggeration. I spent two years out of residency never getting paid more than $100k. I have classmates who were at or above $300k in those same years. After two years they had all made a half million dollars more than I had in gross pay/compensation. That's a huge deal, and it was only two years. For those who bounce from one associate job to the other over the first 7-8 years of practice, they will have likely lost over 1 million $ in potential compensation compared to many classmates. Not to mention, podiatry associates don't seem to "partner" all that often. Which means "associate pay" and that typical podiatry contract aren't so much "starting" salaries as they are expectations for the rest of your career (until you open your own practice or go work for a hospital/MSG).

Reactions: 2 users
But for the OP. I wouldn’t do it again if I had a lot of undergrad debt. I wouldn’t do it again if I was banking on living/working in a very specific area. But I think those things hold true for other areas of medicine and other medical specialties.

If you’re willing to go wherever the good job might take you (or if you have a desire to run your own practice) then it’s not a bad gig at all.

If every large hospital system employed DPMs it would be a no brainer, especially for those kids with questionable GPAs and MCATs.

If podiatry were in the MD match, I have no doubt it'd be top half in competitiveness for residency spots.
Not if current job opportunities and compensation stayed the same. I guess you could say the above assuming that if it was an MD specialty then the hospital/health network integration (or acceptance) would be that of an MD and associate jobs wouldn’t actually be like the current associate jobs. But imagine telling a medical student that there is a 75% chance they only get paid $80-100k for a few years out of residency and then expecting them to be excited about matching Podiatry...

Is that considered a lot? If so, yikes.

From my personal experience, all the associate jobs I interviewed at earlier this year had base salaries below 100k with various bonus structures. 150k seems, to me anyways, to be higher than average for first year associates to be making (even 2nd or 3rd year out, honestly).

For what its worth, 150k salary would be the absolute minimum that I would consider making this career and education worth the investment. Regardless if I was hospital/MSG/associate. This is why I agree with dtrack. Why shouldn't people be looking at the expected first year salary right after graduation and make decisions regarding their future based on that?

I mean, we spend years of our lives honing our skills, taking out loans, delaying gratification, and paying other peoples bills. Where do we draw the line? Just expect to work as an associate after 7 years, make 80k while having 300k in student loans at 6% interest and see if it works out? I think its reasonable that people want some sort of guaranteed income that will allow them to pay back their loans and live comfortably.

I agree with all of the above, but can't believe that people are getting paid that poorly.

I'm in a private practice associate position and will take home somewhere between 180k-200k in my 1st year, even with COVID slowing me down to 50% volume for 3 months earlier this year.

With my current volume for the last quarter I'm on track to take home 275k+ in year 2.

I understand that my situation may be favorable compared to other PP gigs out there but I find it strange to think that this type of compensation is THAT atypical.

I agree with all of the above, but can't believe that people are getting paid that poorly.

I'm in a private practice associate position and will take home somewhere between 180k-200k in my 1st year, even with COVID slowing me down to 50% volume for 3 months earlier this year.

With my current volume for the last quarter I'm on track to take home 275k+ in year 2.

I understand that my situation may be favorable compared to other PP gigs out there but I find it strange to think that this type of compensation is THAT atypical.

That's awesome that you found that level of success as an associate your first year out. Just curious, how did you come across the job? Word of mouth? The associate positions I found online through Indeed or APMA jobs were pretty low quality, 75k-100k listed compensation etc.

Podiatry has been very good to me...

Mostly because I avoided PP associate slavery and joined a wonderful MSG where I am well-respected, fairly compensated and consulted daily for pretty much anything below the knee. It’s empowering.

I would do it again for sure. Pod school and residency had their moments but they were a wonderful 7 years.

Like others have said... shadow a podiatrist.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
We have 2 PP associates claiming salaries north of $150K on this thread already?? I think we’ve unlocked a new level of SDN! Where have you guys been at? Tell us more! What sorta contract? Location size? How does this differ from your buddies that you keep in touch with?
I don't want to get too much into contract details but it involves the standard base and incentive structure. The practice is located in NY.

The practice truly needed another associate as the 3 already working were booked at least 4 weeks out. By the end of my 2nd full month, my clinic schedule was 80%+ filled and my OR schedule was booked 2 months out. These days I am booked 95%+ every day, and see about 120 patients per week. I am the only surgeon who does RRA cases so they all get fed to me. I also take call at a local hospital, primarily DM pathology.

Most of my coresidents and my fellowship alumni are hospital or MSG employed.

That's awesome that you found that level of success as an associate your first year out. Just curious, how did you come across the job? Word of mouth? The associate positions I found online through Indeed or APMA jobs were pretty low quality, 75k-100k listed compensation etc.
Found the position listed online, but after my interview went well and they offered me a contract I argued for a better base and bonus structure due to my fellowship training. My argument was that I was adding a new dimension and skill set to the practice which would allow them to capture more of the market and not refer out to ortho anymore.

Also, when I was looking for jobs, I automatically stopped pursuing any practice that wouldn't pay a minimum of 120k for base salary.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Screenshot_20201121-083026_Chrome.jpg

This one cracked me up.

• Haha

Your experience is atypical for private practice podiatry.

I am in a hospital MSG position and hover between 75-90% percentile for MGMA productivity monthly.

Add all my RVU incentive production bonuses to my guaranteed salary and I made approximately 450k during the third year of my contract. That’s with working my ass off and having zero time for hobbies and exercise.

If I was a foot and ankle ortho my base salary would start at 550k not to mention the bonuses they get on top of that.

There is gross discrepancy in earning potential between us and other surgical MD specialities. There is a gross discrepancy in earning potential between private practice podiatry and hospital employed or ortho employer podiatrists.

If you want to make serious cash in private practice podiatry then start your own private practice. I’ve seen so many of my young colleagues do this recently. 8 years ago when I started podiatry school that was unheard of. It appears our generation of podiatrist have HAD IT with these awful PP podiatry associate mills.

The only way they go away is if you put them out of business...

I’d never ever work for another podiatrist. I’d rather lose the shirt off my back trying to build a practice on my own to compete

Podiatry has been very good to me...

Mostly because I avoided PP associate slavery and joined a wonderful MSG where I am well-respected, fairly compensated and consulted daily for pretty much anything below the knee. It’s empowering.

I would do it again for sure. Pod school and residency had their moments but they were a wonderful 7 years.

Like others have said... shadow a podiatrist.
How difficult are these jobs to find?

You have to be aggressive with your job search. They are out there. Like it’s been mentioned before... you need to call and email hospitals, MSG and ortho groups like crazy. Start your search early in residency.

How difficult are these jobs to find?

As you can see in this thread, money alone won't guarantee you happiness with your profession (although having it helps -- usually). You have to figure out what it is you want and/or need out of your line of work so you don't end up miserable your entire career.

Screenshot_20201121-083026_Chrome.jpg

This one cracked me up
Unfortunately looking at the practice website, they easily hired someone in August 2020. These $80K to $100k associate is not a myth, it is a reality. Most practices don't even post the salary at the job posting but this one was brave enough to do so. Even more brave to call it a rare opportunity.

In the practice website, you can tell the 2 other pods there are older and most likely don't even do any surgery, let alone rear-foot surgery. But then they are able to snatch up a "Foot and Ankle Surgeon" for about the same price to hire a nurse. PAs and NPs make more than that.

The associate to partnership track is also a myth, when it's time to buy in, they will be asking for over half a mill or thereabout. Another kick in the head while you're already underpaid and in student loan debt.

Sad, double sad overall.

Unfortunately looking at the practice website, they easily hired someone in August 2020. These $80K to $100k associate is not a myth, it is a reality. Most practices don't even post the salary at the job posting but this one was brave enough to do so. Even more brave to call it a rare opportunity.

In the practice website, you can tell the 2 other pods there are older and most likely don't even do any surgery, let alone rear-foot surgery. But then they are able to snatch up a "Foot and Ankle Surgeon" for about the same price to hire a nurse. PAs and NPs make more than that.

The associate to partnership track is also a myth, when it's time to buy in, they will be asking for over half a mill or thereabout. Another kick in the head while you're already underpaid and in student loan debt.

Sad, double sad overall.
I really don’t understand why Pods after seven years of school and training do not get paid more. I have several CRNA friends who make 200 k plus easily. Makes no sense.

I really don’t understand why Pods after seven years of school and training do not get paid more. I have several CRNA friends who make 200 k plus easily. Makes no sense.

Ay, there's the rub.

The only time pods don't make more money than CRNAs is when they are being paid by another podiatrist. It's not that hard to understand. I mean a CRNA is making half of what the anesthesiologist is able to pay him/herself. Not a whole lot different from what many of these podiatrists who offer $100k bases are doing. And if they actually have to patients to give you (like an anesthesia group does when they hire a CRNA), then there are associates who can make $200k pretty easily so long as they have a reasonable contract. Podiatrists who eat what they kill and are seeing 20-30 patients a day are taking home quite a bit more money than a CRNA. Podiatrists in MSGs with MD/DOs, Ortho groups, or hospital employed are all taking home more money than CRNAs. It's just the bad associates jobs, which there are still too many of unfortunately.

It's just the bad associates jobs, which there are still too many of unfortunately.
Bad associate jobs still make up > 75% of the job opportunities I would say. Maybe more. Majority of DPMs graduating residency will be somebody's associate. Very few get ortho gigs anymore unless they graduated from Hyer's fellowship. More and more are getting hospital employed gigs which is a good sign.

In the future I see a trend of more DPMs being hired by hospitals/MSGs as well as more young DPMs going solo rather than joining a podiatry group.

The only time pods don't make more money than CRNAs is when they are being paid by another podiatrist. It's not that hard to understand. I mean a CRNA is making half of what the anesthesiologist is able to pay him/herself. Not a whole lot different from what many of these podiatrists who offer $100k bases are doing. And if they actually have to patients to give you (like an anesthesia group does when they hire a CRNA), then there are associates who can make $200k pretty easily so long as they have a reasonable contract. Podiatrists who eat what they kill and are seeing 20-30 patients a day are taking home quite a bit more money than a CRNA. Podiatrists in MSGs with MD/DOs, Ortho groups, or hospital employed are all taking home more money than CRNAs. It's just the bad associates jobs, which there are still too many of unfortunately.
I see you all say on here all the time that the majority of pod jobs are crappy PP gigs. A crna after graduation is guaranteed 175k plus not including OT. In theory pods should have a higher salary but do they really? It’s definitely not guaranteed like a crna salary is.

Current fellows, residents, students, pre-pods - listen to the OGs on here, their advice has served me well. New grad, no fellowship, multiple offers, and now in an ortho group in a large metro city.

Reactions: 5 users
Current fellows, residents, students, pre-pods - listen to the OGs on here, their advice has served me well. New grad, no fellowship, multiple offers, and now in an ortho group in a large metro city.

Consider yourself extremely lucky. I know of several fellows that are either still looking for jobs or settled on a terrible private practice associate job...

I had 3 hospital gigs lined up at graduation. I put in some serious work and it wasnt handed to me on a golden platter (well one was, my residency wanted to hire me) but it wasnt that hard. Pick up the phone and send some emails.

I did go to a good residency and had a good CV. So that helps.

Jobs are there. I think I would be making more in PP (as an owner/partner) than in an MSG if I saw the same amount of patients and did the same amount of surgery I'm currently doing. But overall I'm happy and cant complain. Ill ride this train as long as it will take me.

I see you all say on here all the time that the majority of pod jobs are crappy PP gigs.
I bet it’s more of a plurality of new pod grads who take those jobs as opposed to a “majority.” And I think it’s largely limited to those who are right out of residency or have only been out less than 5 years. A majority of podiatrists either own or are a partner in a podiatry practice or work for larger MSG/hospital groups (ortho too). Podiatry associates are a minority in the profession as a whole.

A crna after graduation is guaranteed 175k plus not including OT. In theory pods should have a higher salary but do they really?
sure, a new CRNA grad has more options in terms of locations where they will get paid more than a podiatry associate. But in systems where they are both employed by the medical group, the podiatrist has a higher salary.

It’s definitely not guaranteed like a crna salary is.
the floor is lower, the ceiling is much higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.