Would any D1 student be willing to email me...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lopyswine

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
would any D1 students be willing to email me:

1) Any syllabuses from their first semester classes

2) any notes

3) a list of textbooks they used in 1st semester

Basically I am trying to figure out a schedule and pace for brush up work to get ready for the D1 year. I just don't know where to start.

I have purchased some anatomy, biochem, cell bio, histology, and immunology texts. But there is so much material, I dont know where to start.

Any notes, or a syllabus would help me figure out an ordered pace/schedule to attack this material.

If anyone is willing to email me some of their old syllabuses, please PM me.

thanks,
Lopy

Members don't see this ad.

2) any notes

Basically I am trying to figure out a schedule and pace for brush up work to get ready for the D1 year. I just don't know where to start.

I have purchased some anatomy, biochem, cell bio, histology, and immunology texts. But there is so much material, I dont know where to start.

Any notes, or a syllabus would help me figure out an ordered pace/schedule to attack this material.

thanks,
Lopy

huh? don't study anything prior to dental school.. total. waste. of time.

jb!:)

huh? don't study anything prior to dental school.. total. waste. of time.

jb!:)

why would you say that? At the very least, brushing up the material will keep my mind sharp during the next 7 months of down time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Screw the science crap, learn to work with your hands. Learn to wax and you will be miles ahead of your classmates.

where can I learn that? I've went to all the dental labs in my area and none are hiring...

Netter's is the bible for gross stuff(all trunk and Head and neck, i make the 1st years I tutor get this one), Grants is ok, theres another one by an italian author (clamenti(?), i think) that is really good too. Brush up on your cranial nerves and know everything about the fibers. Also, embryology haunts you for at least two years of school. Look at some histo slides if you have em. Go over biochem pathways.

If you do all that before you get there, you should put "Gunner" in your signature. :p

Seriously though, try to relax before you get to school. It gets real crazy real fast. My school is like 55 hours a semester at least plus rotations. That means there is no free time so enjoy it while you can.

On a side note, you may just want to learn how to cram over the next 7 months instead...just a thought

Netter's is the bible for gross stuff(all trunk and Head and neck, i make the 1st years I tutor get this one), Grants is ok, theres another one by an italian author (clamenti(?), i think) that is really good too. Brush up on your cranial nerves and know everything about the fibers. Also, embryology haunts you for at least two years of school. Look at some histo slides if you have em. Go over biochem pathways.

If you do all that before you get there, you should put "Gunner" in your signature. :p

Seriously though, try to relax before you get to school. It gets real crazy real fast. My school is like 55 hours a semester at least plus rotations. That means there is no free time so enjoy it while you can.

On a side note, you may just want to learn how to cram over the next 7 months instead...just a thought

which netters should I get:

http://www.amazon.com/Netters-Anatomy-Dentistry-Netter-Science/dp/1929007884

or

http://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Human-Anatomy-Frank-Netter/dp/0914168819

can you recommend a good embryology text? I took 2 semester of developmental bio as an undergrad and they totally sucked...

This one is prob better as it has trunk and H&N. We did both in gross and you probably will have to as well. They also have a 3rd (maybe 4th edition) out. I have the 3rd i think.

can you recommend a good embryology text?

Not really. I just kind of pieced it all together from my histo and gross text book. They gave (charged lots of $$$) us our books on our computers. so I just searched the terms and got like 30 diff books.

You may also want to look at NDBE I study guides for an outline of what you need to know in those areas cuz I think most school really just teach the sciences based on the boards...maybe

when do you take Part I?

after your first year? second year? does it depend on the school? is it up to the person?

when do you take Part I?

after your first year? second year? does it depend on the school? is it up to the person?

These are all questions you should be asking the school that you plan on attending. Different schools stress different material, use different texts, ect. I am sure that if you contact the school you are going to attend and asks the same questions, I am sure that you would get better results.
-C

These are all questions you should be asking the school that you plan on attending. Different schools stress different material, use different texts, ect. I am sure that if you contact the school you are going to attend and asks the same questions, I am sure that you would get better results.
-C

yeah... I know.

I just dont want to be "the guy" that gets accepted and 7 days later is bombarding the office with nit-picky questions....

btw, no one has PMed me a syllabus yet :(

Lopyswine - Regarding taking the boards (this relates to IU, since I see you are from Indiana), students can take Part I after 1st semester of 2nd year, but most wait until the summer after 2nd semester. Dr. Kasberg spoke at our pre-dent club last week and this came up.

Of course, if you're not going to IU, you can ignore this message completely. If you are going to IU, I'll see you in July! :thumbup:

Pat

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah... I know.

I just dont want to be "the guy" that gets accepted and 7 days later is bombarding the office with nit-picky questions....

btw, no one has PMed me a syllabus yet :(

Most schools would be more than willing to give you the information that you have requested. Moreover, no school should consider this "nit-picky". In fact I would think this would only confirm the fact that they made a good choice in accepting you. There is nothing wrong with being prepared.

If your school, in any way, is offended, rude, or not accommodating about giving you the information, you should seriously consider some of your other acceptances.

-C

2) any notes

thanks,
Lopy

http://www.ajstools.com/products/casting/wax39.html

this is kind of expensive, but there's bound to be cheaper one's on the net.

IF you have 7 months of spare time, I would just recommend dental decks (flash card reviewers for the national board exam) since you already have the texts mentioned, which you can use to supplement topics that you find to hard to understand.

This book seems to be popular amongst my class b/c of its dissection pictures for anatomy (as opposed to just schematics)
http://www.amazon.com/Color-Atlas-A...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1197311960&sr=1-1

As for our schedule, here's our first year. But realize, we're a school that takes the boards after our first year.
http://www.dental.umaryland.edu/dentalstudent/student_Schedules.html

Overall, I say follow jb!'s advice. Don't worry about info now, try to relax. If I knew then, what I know now, I would've quit my job way earlier than 2 weeks before school started. I feel like I have very little free time outside of school and wish I would have visited places before it started. Now my life is hell (although kinda fun in a sadistic way), but I sure miss having a life that doesn't revolve around a singular place.

This book seems to be popular amongst my class b/c of its dissection pictures for anatomy (as opposed to just schematics)
http://www.amazon.com/Color-Atlas-An...7311960&sr=1-1

This is a great book, it was recommended to me by my anatomy professor and I found it very helpful in understanding the structures. It is entirely comprised of high quality photographs of dissected cadavers...there is no text except for the labels telling you what everything is.

If you really have nothing to do...spend some time taking a look at the pictures in this book and in Netter's. Anatomy is very visual and very cool and this is a lot more fun than reading some dry dental textbook.

Not really. I just kind of pieced it all together from my histo and gross text book. They gave (charged lots of $$$) us our books on our computers. so I just searched the terms and got like 30 diff books.

Are you going to UNLV? I heard they do that.

Screw the science crap, learn to work with your hands. Learn to wax and you will be miles ahead of your classmates.

i second that :thumbup:

http://www.amazon.com/Color-Atlas-A...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1197311960&sr=1-1

As for our schedule, here's our first year. But realize, we're a school that takes the boards after our first year.
http://www.dental.umaryland.edu/dentalstudent/student_Schedules.html

Overall, I say follow jb!'s advice. Don't worry about info now, try to relax. If I knew then, what I know now, I would've quit my job way earlier than 2 weeks before school started. I feel like I have very little free time outside of school and wish I would have visited places before it started. Now my life is hell (although kinda fun in a sadistic way), but I sure miss having a life that doesn't revolve around a singular place.

hahaha

I actually went to the library last night and checked that book out. Its great.

2) any notes

thanks,
Lopy

I don't know which schools you are considering, but the Ohio State curriculum can be viewed at http://dent.osu.edu/ddscurriculum/
Click on "schedule" and you can view all 4 years.

Try as many of these during the next 7mths, and when you get to IUSOD.
Beer.jpg

I totally agree. Do nothing or whatever you feel like doing (except studying). I went to Indonesia for a month and change and did nothing but relax, surf, drink beer, and party. You will get PLENTY of studying in dental school. Trust me, I had the same mentality as you when I got in and received the same advice I am giving you now. I am glad I took it. Relax and enjoy the last truly "free" seven months of your life.

yes, seriously, do not study for dental school before you start.....i would cook and drink beer and play golf all summer if I were you.