Would any dental students awesome enough to

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

immike1234

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
List the courses they took for their four years for undergraduate :D?

I'm trying to write out a four year plan for undergraduate to see roughly how my schedule will fit together, so it would be great to be able to look some of the schedules you guys had as a type of guideline.

Mike

Members don't see this ad.

Wow. No, but that's why your tuition pays for prehealth academic advisor.

Plan on taking 2-3 science classes/semester, and to take 12-15 hrs each semester. Don't put off your chemisty classes bc you need to have 4 semesters done before you can take the DAT in your junior year the summer that you apply for dental school.

Do yourself a favor and stick to a science major that will include many of the classes that are recommended for dental school.

And search the forum before you expect someone else to spoon feed you any long list.

Wow. No, but that's why your tuition pays for prehealth academic advisor.

Plan on taking 2-3 science classes/semester, and to take 12-15 hrs each semester. Don't put off your chemisty classes bc you need to have 4 semesters done before you can take the DAT in your junior year the summer that you apply for dental school.

Do yourself a favor and stick to a science major that will include many of the classes that are recommended for dental school.

And search the forum before you expect someone else to spoon feed you any long list.

I thought 2-3 science classes = 8 -12 hours a semester?

Alright, thanks for the feedback, I'll keep it in mind :oops:
(P.S. I have been looking through the forums)

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought 2-3 science classes = 8 -12 hours a semester?

Alright, thanks for the feedback, I'll keep it in mind :oops:
(P.S. I have been looking through the forums)

Yes, 2-3 science classes is about 8-12 hours per semester, but you would also be expected to add in something like a humanities, English, art, or something of that nature. This will show that you can handle a 15+ hour semester and that you're well-rounded. This is one reason dental schools like to see applicants that have a BS/BA degree...for well-roundedness.

Anyways, you do need to get in with an advisor to guide you where you need to go as far as scheduling is concerned. No one here can, in certainty, say what your specific schedule needs to be. So, find out more about your schools professional advisory committee, and perhaps ask one of those professors to be your advisor.

Well I've already got the list handy, so why not...

Weights of each class are in (parentheses)

Fall 2003
General Chemistry I (4)
English Composition I (3)
American National Government (3)
Statistical Methods I (3)

Spring 2004
Intro to Forensic Science (3)
English Composition II (3)
Statistics Using Excel (3)
General Sociology (3)

Fall 2004
General Biology I (4)
Intro to Computer Science (3)
College Algebra (3)
Fundamentals of Oral Comm. (3)

Spring 2005
General Chemistry II (3)
General Chemistry II Lab (1)
Physics I (4)
World Religions (3)

Summer 2005
Physics II (4)
American History I (3)

Fall 2005
Organic Chemistry I (3)
Immunology (3)
Immunology Lab (1)
Human Physiology (4)
College Trigonometry (3)

Spring 2006
General Microbiology (5) [bad semester; don't do what I did and withdraw from 75% of your classes :laugh:]

Summer 2006
Organic Chemistry II (3)
Organic Chemistry Lab (2)
Genetics (3)

Fall 2006
Human Anatomy (4)
Quantitative Biological Methods (4)
Biochemistry I (3)
Infectious Processes (3)

Spring 2007
Pathogenic Microbiology (3)
Pathogenic Microbiology Lab (1)
Molecular Biology I (3)
Molecular Biology II (3)
Microbial Metabolism (3)

Fall 2007
Biology II (4) [took this one because one of the dental schools I was applying to required it; my major did not]
Calculus I (4)
Neurobiology (3)
Tissue Engineering (3)

I would bust your butt out the door and get your intro bio class and gen chem done your first year. Second year get orgo chem done, these chemistry classes are usually year long and with lab. Then just take science courses that you would find interesting. The school I found that had the most course requirements is Midwestern, so if you get all those requirements done you should be set to go anywhere.

I did not study in High School and depending on what you did, you need to consider the course load that you want to take. I would start with some core classes (Calculus, English Comp, Computer) and add 1 maybe easy Science courses. This will allow you to learn how to study and get in the routine of college. 1 harder semester down the road is better than a bad grade your first semester.

I would bust your butt out the door and get your intro bio class and gen chem done your first year. Second year get orgo chem done, these chemistry classes are usually year long and with lab. Then just take science courses that you would find interesting. The school I found that had the most course requirements is Midwestern, so if you get all those requirements done you should be set to go anywhere.

I like this advice. Nearly all of my dental school requirements had been completed by the end of my sophomore year. Junior and senior years were filled with science classes that I found interesting (anatomy I/II/III, cardiopulmonary physiology, pathology, pathophysiology, etc). My avg semester credits were 17.5, so I don't think you'll be overwhelmed with 15/semester.

My second piece of advice would be to learn how to study in your freshman year of college, or at least during the first couple of years. Dental school is fast and furious during D-I and D-II.....you need to have systems in place by which to learn quickly and efficiently.

Hey Vapor1122 thanks for being awesome enough to list your courses!
Really gave me a lot of insight into how much flexibility I have over when I take my courses and how many biology courses I'm going to be taking (really impressive how you took that many biology courses in one semester!)

Are the advanced courses that you stated like microbiology and immunology introductory courses? I've been looking at the courses my college offers and the only microbiology course it offers is introduction to microbiology (and I can't seem to find immunology)

Thanks!

No need to bust my butt out the door sir, I'm just registered for the intro bio class and gen chem classes :D

I noticed that dental schools require 2 semesters of inorganic chemistry. Does general chemistry count as inorganic chem? My advisor said that my college actually offers classes called "inorganic chemistry 1" and "inorganic chemistry 2"

Also, the advice about Midwestern is great!

I did not study in High School and depending on what you did, you need to consider the course load that you want to take. I would start with some core classes (Calculus, English Comp, Computer) and add 1 maybe easy Science courses. This will allow you to learn how to study and get in the routine of college. 1 harder semester down the road is better than a bad grade your first semester.

Yeah, for my first semester I'm taking 15 Credits. Honestly, I don't know how different college is going to be, so I don't want to end up digging a hole for myself. Your advice makes a lot of sense :)

I like this advice. Nearly all of my dental school requirements had been completed by the end of my sophomore year. Junior and senior years were filled with science classes that I found interesting (anatomy I/II/III, cardiopulmonary physiology, pathology, pathophysiology, etc). My avg semester credits were 17.5, so I don't think you'll be overwhelmed with 15/semester.

My second piece of advice would be to learn how to study in your freshman year of college, or at least during the first couple of years. Dental school is fast and furious during D-I and D-II.....you need to have systems in place by which to learn quickly and efficiently.

Hmm, I definitely need to learn how to study quickly and efficiently. I'm going to have to take 2 or more biology courses a semester in the future, so yeah, it makes a lot of sense to learn right now what works for me.

What kind of study habits did you find helpful? I figure studying in groups and memorizing acronyms as well as making notecards would be pretty useful.

Last edited: