Would any nontrad, nonscience, career changers be willing to share their PS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maybedoc1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm a non traditional, undergrad music major who decided on medicine a few years ago. I'm getting ready to apply this cycle and while my personal statement is pretty close to being finished I'm still not 100% happy with it. There's a ton of examples of good personal statements online, but they are more suited to a traditional science applicant. It's not super convincing to talk about my love of science when I studied music/history so I'm looking to see how others talked about their desire to go to medical school. Especially the "why medicine" question.

Members don't see this ad.

I was a music major as well (now a resident at Mayo Clinic). While I don’t want to share my statement - I would be happy to take a look at yours if you’d like!

Hello all,

I'm a non traditional, undergrad music major who decided on medicine a few years ago. I'm getting ready to apply this cycle and while my personal statement is pretty close to being finished I'm still not 100% happy with it. There's a ton of examples of good personal statements online, but they are more suited to a traditional science applicant. It's not super convincing to talk about my love of science when I studied music/history so I'm looking to see how others talked about their desire to go to medical school. Especially the "why medicine" question.

DM me, happy to send you mine and help with yours if you want advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
You’re just looking to read non traditional personal statements?

Reactions: 1 user
Maybedoc1 said:
Hello all,

OP if your heart is in medicine you should be able to tailor your PS to reflect your "nontraditional" attributes. Remember to give plenty of anecdotes from your clinical experiences. Good luck.

You can PM me. I have no problem sharing mine but it won’t be any where near similar to yours. I came from a construction worker background.

I was a music major as well (now a resident at Mayo Clinic). While I don’t want to share my statement - I would be happy to take a look at yours if you’d like!

Good to see a fellow music major on here! I will send you a DM. Thank you!

You’re just looking to read non traditional personal statements?

Yes. I've seen a bunch of examples of traditional statements, but haven't really seen a nontraditional one. All the traditional statements are pretty similar (interest in medicine at a younger age so I studied science in college, in my salamander research lab I learned how science was an exploitative process, then I shadowed Dr. C and he showed me how medicine was the intersection of science and research, but also how medicine was about healing with the heart as well as your hands, then another volunteer experience related to medicine, then a leadership position, etc) However I have yet to read one about someone coming from a completely different background and how they went about writing a convincing essay

OP if your heart is in medicine you should be able to tailor your PS to reflect your "nontraditional" attributes. Remember to give plenty of anecdotes from your clinical experiences. Good luck.

Thank you! I'm very sure that I want to do medicine, but I've had some trouble putting my reasons into coherant words. I'm getting close though. In my statement I've tried to incorporate my past experiences since I think they are valuable. I've been working on this essay for months now and I'm close (I hope).