Would any of you docs consider being an expert witness for big $$$$?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LoudBark

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whenever a patient brings a malpractice claim through a lawyer, an expert witness is always used. The expert witness is usually a board certified, practicing physician. The role of the expert witness is to review the chart and make a document stating how a doctor, or in a lot of cases, multiple doctors did not follow the standard of care. Attorneys use the expert witnesses of proof that the law suit against the doctor or doctors has merit and are able to proceed with the suit. The document by the expert witness is used as evidence if it goes to trial that the doctor or doctors being sued were negligent and caused harm to the patient.

Expert witness make a lot of money $$$$$. They can get paid as much as $5K to $8K to review a case and present a document supporting the plaintiff patient. If a deposition is taken of the expert, even more thousands of $. If it goes to court and the expert testifies, more and more $.

That being said would any of you consider doing this. There are lots of doctors out there in all specialties who are willing to testify against other doctors if the price is right.

The doctors who do this justify this on the grounds that they feel like they are "patient advocates" and are taking an active role in "policing the system" of faulty doctors.

On the other hand, there always seemed to be an unwritten rule early on that you never rat out another doctor..........and these docs are doing it in the name of the almighty dollar.

Is it ever something you would consider doing to supplement your income when you are a practicing physician?:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I certainly would, but only if i felt the doc I'm testifying against actually was negligent or went against the standard of care. I would also have to truly know what I was talking about and BE an expert in the area. That being said I would much Rather be defending the doc, but in order to be a credible witness you can't always take the same side. Especially when it's clear that there are plenty of quacks out there practicing dangerous medicine. To me this is an important part of maintaining our integrity as physicians. We have to know when we are wrong and sometimes we sadly have to tell our colleagues when they are wrong.

I'd take the money, but who says I have to side with the patient who is suing? I'd review the case and say the doctors did everything correctly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey teamsters --

this "good ol' boy" mentality is a bunch of ****. Have some integrity for ****'s sake -- review the case and give your honest opinion.

I suggest getting the money up front. ;)

Hey teamsters --

this "good ol' boy" mentality is a bunch of ****. Have some integrity for ****'s sake -- review the case and give your honest opinion.

I suggest getting the money up front. ;)

I suspect many people do exactly that... and then don't get called back by the lawyers.

I think that there's a reason that we have a small group of MDs that spend so much of their time testifying, and its not because they are just that much better than the rest of us.