1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Would anyone like to read PS?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by littlephiLLy, Jul 16, 2006.

1. littlephiLLy

7+ Year Member

I am just about complete writing my PS and would like someone to read it over and such. i'll PM it to you.
    Thanks alot.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. LifetimeDoc

LifetimeDoc EM Attending
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Post your PS directly to the forums, and get feedback from hundreds of people! :D

4. CavalierMD

CavalierMD Secondary Stalker 4-Lyf!
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'll read it... PM me at your convenience :luck:

5. str8flexed

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Don't do that..when thousand of people are viewing it, who knows if one will copy it?

6. mshollywoodmd

mshollywoodmd Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Albeit you should not put anything past anyone, Isn't your personal statement supposed to be tailor made to your experiences and achievements. How would it benefit anyone to copy your PS when the content doesn't apply to them? I mean unless you happen to have the exact same EC's, undergrad school, graduate school, publications, research experiences, clinical exposure (need I go on?) would it not be completely inane to copy someones PS? I personally placed names and institutions in my PS to give it more of an human element. I know people can change names and places but that seems to be much more trouble than its worth. The reason I would not let thousands of people view it is because it is a Personal Statement meaning it isn't for everyone to see. str8flexed I understand your point but I hope no one would be so devious.

7. triangles

triangles Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    why put ec's in your ps? theres a whole other section for it on the amcas. why put schools in? youve already given that information. how does naming institution make the ps more human? its much easier to change a few names than to write an entire ps.
    pm, ill read it if you like.

8. swim2md

swim2md Ni.
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'll read it. PM me anytime.

9. mshollywoodmd

mshollywoodmd Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    You put these things in because your PS is supposed to be a narrative string of which the beads of your experience is thread. It allows adcoms the ability to chronologically see what you have done to prove your commitment to medicine. If you put in names of people who you researched with and institutions in which you have attended it makes you less of another faceless applicant and more of a real person. I have had the privaledge of letting adcoms read my PS before submitting it and received great reviews by doing exactly what I stated. Besides who says that they would even get to the whole other section of the amcas if your personal statement isn't attention grabbing, so you have to utilize your PS in a way that lets them see what you have done while making you stand out. I'm not attempting to tell anyone how to write their personal statement, I'm only stating my opinion

10. 63768

63768 Guest
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    OP, i can read your PS if you'd like.

to mshollywoodmd, i don't think your PS is supposed to be your resume in paragraph form. trying to fit everything into your 5000 char is obvious and detracts from the reason why you decided to go into medicine. for my PS, i simply chose a few experiences that were especially impactful to me and wrote on those. i put in the name of the doctor i followed but putting all names and institutions in is just a waste of characters.

11. mshollywoodmd

mshollywoodmd Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I never stated that your PS is supposed to be your reiterating everything on your CV that would be redundancy. I also never stated that you should put all the doctors and institutions in your PS just some to make it more original. I have less than 5000 characters in my PS and I have 6 publications and counting, was a Research Analyst for a medical school, have a graduate degree, was a Brain Mapping Tech, a Social Service Aide, a TA....and believe me the list goes on....I don't claim to be the PS guru I was just giving my opinion but thank you for yours

12. 63768

63768 Guest
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i took your stating "It allows adcoms the ability to chronologically see what you have done to prove your commitment to medicine" combined with "your PS is supposed to be a narrative string of which the beads of your experience is thread" to mean that you should try to cram as much into your PS as possible. i apologize if i read your post hastily and misunderstood your point.

in addition, i believe that putting names into your PS is necessary only as an identifying marker, e.g. i've conducted research under 4 different docs at the same time and i'd like to specify which doc i'm talking about. making it more personal like putting the name of mr. smith, who is a patient that your doctor saw is useless because it expresses nothing different than "a patient" would.

finally, i also don't claim to be a PS guru. i apologize again if i misunderstand your points.

13. Compass

Compass Squishy
    Moderator Emeritus 2+ Year Member

Hit em' here!

14. triangles

triangles Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    who are you, the 'supposed to' police?

there are blanks for dates in the ec section too.

i disagree.

who says that they would even get to the ps if gpa/mcat arent attention grabbing? if its on the amcas application, it will be read.

thats my point: amcas already has specific sections built for people to say what they have done. the ps should be mainly about ideas.

15. str8flexed

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I didn't put in names of the institutions or whatnot in my PS because I felt like it was "name dropping." I didn't want people to think that I thought I was better than everyone else because I went to a certain school or volunteered at a certain hospital or did so or so... I basically left things general, like "When volunteering at the university hospital,..."

16. mshollywoodmd

mshollywoodmd Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    obviously you are saying it

Who are you the "should be" police?

As I have stated before, I was only expressing MY opinion...it is up to the author of the personal statement to write it in any way they feel best for them even after others give their comments because in the end it is THE AUTHOR's personal statement

All in all maybe everyone can agree it would be good for your personal statement to be effective however you decided it should be written

17. mshollywoodmd

mshollywoodmd Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Sometimes its not what you know but who you know...but as I have stated before and hopefully will not have to state again, it is your personal statement and you have to write it in a way that is best for you

18. mshollywoodmd

mshollywoodmd Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    It also would be a breach of confidentiality and I am sure against HIPPA rules and regulations

I was thinking more along the lines of ....as a Research Analyst for ________ University working with Dr. _______ led to the discovery of an important interface between ______ and ______.

By the way apology accepted :)

19. natusss

natusss Member
    7+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    Ill read it. PM me! :)