Would appreciate some opinions *secondary app question!

Mar 6, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
We all know of the fairly common application prompt: discuss a challenge you have overcome in your pursuit of your personal/professional goals

So I wrote a pretty awesome statement about my wife's battle with depression and anxiety and how it effected us and ultimately how we overcame together.....

I was just wondering if this would be something too personal to put on an application... I have other challenges I could easily write about but this one seemed felt honest and relatable

Please let me know what yall think! Thanks

LordH

2+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2015
Status
This could go either way, but I'd be a little wary because there's bound to be people who will think that it wasn't you who overcame the challenge, but your wife. You appear to be more of a supporting role.

If you can tie it into your goals then maybe it'll work. Really depends how you wrote it.

caffeinemia

5+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2014
New York, NY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
We all know of the fairly common application prompt: discuss a challenge you have overcome in your pursuit of your personal/professional goals

So I wrote a pretty awesome statement about my wife's battle with depression and anxiety and how it effected us and ultimately how we overcame together.....

I was just wondering if this would be something too personal to put on an application... I have other challenges I could easily write about but this one seemed felt honest and relatable

Please let me know what yall think! Thanks
Perfectly acceptable response - More and more people are having to juggle family/starting family with a medical career. I think being able to navigate that would make you a better student and future resident/physician. I would say it's an experience that many fresh out of college applicants cannot not speak about.

OP
WAnative
Mar 6, 2016
Status
Yeah I hear it, I geared what I wrote to be about challenges we both had to overcome, while trying to not make it all about me because obviously she is the real victor here, I appreciate the input!