Would appreciate some opinions *secondary app question!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WAnative

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
We all know of the fairly common application prompt: discuss a challenge you have overcome in your pursuit of your personal/professional goals

So I wrote a pretty awesome statement about my wife's battle with depression and anxiety and how it effected us and ultimately how we overcame together.....

I was just wondering if this would be something too personal to put on an application... I have other challenges I could easily write about but this one seemed felt honest and relatable

Please let me know what yall think! Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

This could go either way, but I'd be a little wary because there's bound to be people who will think that it wasn't you who overcame the challenge, but your wife. You appear to be more of a supporting role.

If you can tie it into your goals then maybe it'll work. Really depends how you wrote it.

We all know of the fairly common application prompt: discuss a challenge you have overcome in your pursuit of your personal/professional goals

So I wrote a pretty awesome statement about my wife's battle with depression and anxiety and how it effected us and ultimately how we overcame together.....

I was just wondering if this would be something too personal to put on an application... I have other challenges I could easily write about but this one seemed felt honest and relatable

Please let me know what yall think! Thanks

Perfectly acceptable response - More and more people are having to juggle family/starting family with a medical career. I think being able to navigate that would make you a better student and future resident/physician. I would say it's an experience that many fresh out of college applicants cannot not speak about.

Yeah I hear it, I geared what I wrote to be about challenges we both had to overcome, while trying to not make it all about me because obviously she is the real victor here, I appreciate the input!