MD Would appreciate some sagely advice for my school list before I start working on secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YouGetOnlySoftClap

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I was just wondering if I could get some feedback on my school list. I took the MCAT relatively late so I want to be prepared with a list for two different score ranges, especially since my FL scores have me feeling infuriatingly optimistic. As of now I’ve designated one throwaway school for my primary so my AMCAS is already verified and I’d like to start prewriting secondaries ASAP.

biomedical engineering major
cGPA: 3.84 w/upward trend (3.99 over last two semesters)
sGPA: 3.78
MCAT: Took it on 6/16, so idk yet, but here are my practice test results:
NS1: 514
NS2: 511
NS3: 511
NS4: 514
FL1: 522
FL2: 520 (stupid mistakes on P/S brought down FL2 score a bit, other 3 sections improved)

ECs:
- Clinical volunteering: 120 hours, expecting ~70 more this summer
- Shadowing: 20 hours, general internal medicine
- Non-clinical volunteering: volunteer org co-founder, executive committee VP and president past two years, 800 hours over past 6 years
- Research: 600 hours, one middle author publication in top-quartile cell bio journal
- Teaching/tutoring: 360 hours tutoring high school students in religious studies as well as AP math and science classes

The following is the school list I constructed earlier under the assumption that my MCAT score will be in the 512-518 range (Note: am a PA resident and I’d like to stay in the general northeast region)

UPenn
Cornell
Pitt
Case Western
Temple
Jefferson
Drexel
Penn State
Maryland
Einstein
SUNY Downstate
Hofstra
VCU
UVA
Ohio State
Cooper
Rutgers NJMS
Rutgers RWJ
NYMC
Geisinger
Netter
Georgetown
George Washington
Albany Medical College
Tufts

Now, if my optimism turns out to not be in vain and I get a 519+ score then I will most likely drop Geisinger, Netter, NYMC, and Albany, and add Yale, Columbia, NYU, Icahn, and maaaybe Boston or UMich.

Does this seem reasonable? Too many top tier? Too many low-yield? I’m open to any feedback, so thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

It is difficult to suggest schools without an actual MCAT score. However, you could include your PA schools (Drexel, Temple, Jefferson. Penn State and Commonwealth-Geisinger) if you want to prewrite secondaries.