Would being a Somali immigrant affect my admissions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredocn

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
A professor told me that because of some instability in my country and that because my country is known for terroristic attack that I will face discrimination when it comes to admissions. I have been in this country for nearly 11 years even though I am not a citizen yet. Will this affect my application?

Members don't see this ad.

A professor told me that because of some instability in my country and that because my country is known for terroristic attack that I will face discrimination when it comes to admissions. I have been in this country for nearly 11 years even though I am not a citizen yet. Will this affect my application?
Your professor is a complete idiot. This will not negatively affect your chances for admission.

Did you come to the US as a refugee? If so, your refugee status will actually be seen positively during the admissions process.

Reactions: 10 users
What?? (Hopeful this is a troll because I cannot believe a professor would say that to any prospective med student)

If you meet all the metrics and extracurricular requirements for medschool, no issues at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What?? (Hopeful this is a troll because I cannot believe a professor would say that to any prospective med student)

If you meet all the metrics and extracurricular requirements for medschool, no issues at all.
seriously that's what my friends said. i strongly believe he was projecting his stereotype onto me.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user

OK thank you so much! yes i came as a refugee

It would not be seen as a negative. You overcame adversity to leave a dangerous place and make your way successfully in a new country, and coming from such a place would add diversity to the med school class.

Reactions: 3 users
Your professor is an idiot! A racist!

Some med schools consider Somalis as URM, in fact.

The immigrant experience is always good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 users
You are going to be okay.

Did you ever connect with SNMA or AMSA officers? I am hopeful there are some Somalis represented somewhere.
Thank you! Unfortunately my school did not have snma so I didn't join. However, I did find some students whose parents are from Somalia, so I am hopeful they will be a support system.

I think being a refugee and sharing your experience and insight about Somalian life and its unique healthcare challenges would be a great thing to talk about in your essays and interviews! Since you brought it up, I think the one red flag that could affect your application though, assuming your applying to US medical schools, is your citizenship status, as US med schools are pretty strict with only US citizens being able to enroll in US medical schools with only a few rare exceptions for international students, Canadian students, and students with DACA status. Hopefully, you'll be able to get citizenship soon!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Thank you! Unfortunately my school did not have snma so I didn't join. However, I did find some students whose parents are from Somalia, so I am hopeful they will be a support system.
I want to be sure I was clear. Chapters exist at medical schools but they have premed outreach committees. Some SNMA, SOMA, and AMSA prehealth chapters exist but other prehealth clubs are likely available to you. Basically did you network with students at the schools you want to attend?