Would being a union representative hurt my application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sleepyDaisy

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have the opportunity to be a union representative for my department at my job (hospital). I kinda want to do it if I can find the time for it, but I worry about how it will look on my application.

Will it harm my application at all?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

While I can't be sure if it hurt me or not, I had a successful application season, even though writing about the organizing campaign at my old job that I helped lead (that we won) and time spent volunteering on other campaigns was a big part of my essays. In fact, one of the few interviews where I felt pushback regarding it ended up accepting me with a scholarship. I think that it just depends on how you write about - I focused more on leadership development and the challenges of organizing.

Reactions: 1 user
Many people probably think that unions don’t belong in healthcare because collective bargaining in these instances can lead to unnecessary deaths. Imo it has some risk but probably wouldn’t hurt too badly.

For example, Kaiser Health has been having some large strikes. I’m sure if a doctor and volunteer adcom member at KPSOM just got off an extra tedious shift due to understaffing, it may be difficult for him/her to sympathize with a union representative.

I have no inside info but this is my 2cents:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I have the opportunity to be a union representative for my department at my job (hospital). I kinda want to do it if I can find the time for it, but I worry about how it will look on my application.

Will it harm my application at all?

Thanks
Why would it harm your app? This is really, really novel.

Reactions: 2 users
Many people probably think that unions don’t belong in healthcare because collective bargaining in these instances can lead to unnecessary deaths. Imo it has some risk but probably wouldn’t hurt too badly.

For example, Kaiser Health has been having some large strikes. I’m sure if a doctor and volunteer adcom member at KPSOM just got off an extra tedious shift due to understaffing, it may be difficult for him/her to sympathize with a union representative.

I have no inside info but this is my 2cents:
or they may be sympathetic, because they've seen the impact of understaffing that happens outside of strikes impacting patient care. collective bargaining doesn't cause strikes; it's a two-street. the company involved is given ample notice (which is required by law for healthcare unions), so they could easily agree to requests being made, if the concern is to prevent a strike. there are physician and resident unions but they are not as widespread.

if it's a significant experience, find a way to write about it that isn't overly polarizing - hide your power level, if you will - but keep in mind many activities could be seen as controversial by adcoms - but would you want to go somewhere that wouldn't want you because of your membership in a union?

It is probably a good thing. Tread carefully, to be sure, but you are showing leadership ability and the ability to handle complex, challenging social situations and to negotiate and communicate. These are good things to have on an application. Some adcoms might not like it, but others will, and it's likely to be a benefit to you.

Reactions: 1 users
Working as a union representative is a really excellent experience in the realm of advocacy. Depending on how you spin it, I think it would be looked upon favourably. Especially, if you can draw parallels between being able to advocate for workers and how the skills and lessons you've learned will benefit you as a medical student / future physician.

Focus on the leadership and impact you had in your roll. Did your efforts lead to an increase in pay? Better working conditions? A more inclusive environment? If so talk about what you did and the impact you had as an advocate and leader.

It is distinctive experience and I wouldn't hide it.

On the other hand, you are under no obligation to list it on your application if you think that it would, in any way, hurt your chances at a school where the adcom might tilt anti-union. (Red states, conservative "values", etc). You could always write/talk about it in secondaries at schools that might be more open to applicants with that experience.

Reactions: 1 user
It's a leadership position, plus it may bring you into contact with people from other departments and higher administrators. If you have the opportunity to represent your union at interdepartmental committees or executive sessions, that can be a very valuable experience. As long as you aren't advocating disruption and destruction, this position will be a plus for your application.

Seems like a risk depending on the political side of the interviewer. I would make sure the hospitals you would rotate at don't have unions and if they do that they're not having issues. Admins at hospitals with unions tend to not like them very much and this could influence their view on it.