Would being an ER Scribe help my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grivacobae

Whatascrub
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDNers!
Happy New Years! I have a quick question about clinical experience that really helps Medical school applicants and if that same experience can help me as a Dental school applicant in the future.
I interviewed to become an ER Scribe before winter break and will be starting at a Hospital in the ER late January. Being an ER Scribe is great clinical experience that is limited to undergraduate students pursuing Med school, getting a gig in this is hard and looks great in applications for Med schools.
So my question is... If I do accept the job ( i still have to let them know if ill continue with the job ) as a scribe, would it help or make my Dental school application unique? How would the admins view this Medical clinical experience?
I'd be pretty much shadowing a doctor in the ER and sitting in on doctor patient communication and such, as well as learning terminology and getting the clinical experience in a fast paced environment.
Thanks everyone! and again, Happy New Years!

Members don't see this ad.

As long as it doesn't detract from your app in other significant ways, it can only be good.

Reactions: 1 user
That's the thing, I can turn this down and take a research work study program with my school which is 20 hrs a week. But I don't know how a Research Work Study program would look compared to scribe, and also I wouldn't even get paid for research since my declared major is Finance and not Biology so the government won't allow the school to allocate funds ($8/hr) to non science majors. And i need the money for school, insurance, the works.

Members don't see this ad :)
If money's a big factor, be a scribe. For application to Dental School, as long as you invest in your interest, either can make a great story to tell (in your personal statement/interview).

I've been an ER scribe for the last 3 years and I love my job. I've had a great experience (for the most part) and I honestly believe that it did help my case when I applied. You will build personal relationships with the doctors who can write LORs for you. You will have lots and lots of stories to tell, some of which you can spin into why you want to go into dentistry as opposed to medicine (you better have a good answer for this if you do accept the job). Not to mention, I've noticed that a lot of the nurses that are fresh out of school go into the ER... nothing better than getting to work with a bunch of attractive, smart women!

Thanks for all the pointers! Will probably accept the job, but when it comes to studying for the DAT, should I take leave of absence for 3 months? I would be studying while in school so I doubt it would be productive to try and do all 3 things at once