Would conductive education be considered clinical volunteering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

latiere

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, super simple question. I'm working as a volunteer at a conductive education program that helps both teach (as in a classroom setting) and physically help babies to senior individuals who are diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy, Spina Bifida, Parkinson's, and other neurological motor disabilities. I also do help with taking students to the bathroom, learning more about motor disabilities, and assisting them with physical activities. Conductive education isn't a fairly common thing in the US, so just as confirmation, this would be considered as clinical hours, right? I'm also thinking about getting involved with United Cerebral Palsy and helping out with teaching students at schools, but I'm not sure if this would be considered clinical due to its strictly being teaching and overseeing kids.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd call it clinical. It's sort of like a volunteer CNA without credentials.

EDITED: I misread your post. Ignore me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Are they patients? If not, I do not consider it clinical. It can be a fine type of employment and it can be a reasonable type of volulnteer activity but it is non-clinical even if you are helping them in the bathroom.

Reactions: 1 user
In your description, you called the people you worked with “students” not patients. So it would probably be okay for nonclinical volunteering but you should find an opportunity to work with the sick, injured and dying for your clinical experiences.

Reactions: 1 users