1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

would doing "biomedical research" hurt my dental application?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Smooth Operater, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Smooth Operater

Smooth Operater don't bug "operatEr"!

I got a offer to do a biomedical research for one of universities in southern California during the summer break for 3 months. I will be working with the medicine faculty. The pay is really good and the school is very close to LA. Those are the two main reasons that I going. However, my ultimate goal is to get into dental school next year. Do you think dental schools would frown on my application if I say that I have done researchs with medicine faculty and worked on biomedical related research instead of dentistry? Thanks!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. HermeytheElf

HermeytheElf Guest

Pre-Dental
    Yeah as a general rule Adcoms hate seeing meaningful research experience on your application. You might as well have a felony conviction for selling black tar heroin to school children.

4. Fuji

My guess is no. That type of research experience will probably make you more competitive.

5. t man

t man Epoxi-Lips

Pre-Dental
    do you mean will it hurt because you're doing medical research instead of dental research? because that doesn't matter. if its entry-level, you're responsibilities probably wouldn't be much different even if it were dental research, and anything you learn in the biomedical realm will be a plus. after all, dental medicine is a biomedical science.

also, consider the way many predents choose to spend the summers: by the beach or in front of the TV.

6. bmrboy19

bmrboy19 New Member

NO! All it will do is help you...why would something like working in biomedcial research ever hurt you? the more relavent work experience in the science area the better...i worked in Biotech/Cancer research for the past 2 years and was a really impressive stat on my application...however, make sure u have some dental experience as well...the more you have on ur application the better it will look...take the job...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
    :D

7. HeMan

Dental Student
    In order to answer this I have one major question. When you say, "doing medical research, good pay, etc." do you really mean "taking part in a medically supervised study of an investigational medication, where you will be compensated for your time and travel."

8. Smooth Operater

I am hired to carry out a 10 weeks basic science research project related to medicine. Housing is provided. I will be earning $3200 US dollar in 10 weeks, which is a pretty good pay for a Canadian researcher. Canadian undergrad get paid $8 CDN/hour to do research. It's good money for me. But I don't know about Americans. Is $3200 good paid? Thanks!

9. Dauber

Dauber Big Baby Jesus

Pre-Dental
    No. Anyone who tells you that it'll hurt your chances is an idiot.

10. PennPB

Dental Student
    ?

11. SugarNaCl

SugarNaCl Dental Student
    Moderator Emeritus

Dentist
    You can't be for real. I have done prostate cancer research for over 2 years now full time at a hospital here in Buffalo. This was the main point they looked at when I was interviewed. They LOVED to see an interest in research and especially first author on an immunology publication. They also were happy when I said I wanted to continue research in the dental field. Remember, dentistry IS medicine! Without one, you can't have the other. Oral health is just as important as overall health... you saw what just happened to that 11 yr old boy who died from what the newspaper claimed was a "toothache" (abscess).

12. mahme

mahme Member

yes it would hurt. no dental school wants to see someone researching for med schools. you should stick w/ dental research or none at all!!

and only 3200? you're getting ripped, dude.

13. Smooth Operater

is mahme being sacarstic? is $3200 for a 10 weeks work a pretty good paid for a research position?

14. bruinpredent

bruinpredent UCLA School of Dentistry

Dental Student

yes he's being sarcastic. 3200 sounds about right...UCI gives $3000 for its 10 week research program, caltech gives $5000

15. pmantz

pmantz Member

Dental Student
    This has been the most informative and useful thread I have ever read.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. gatormichigan

If you are able to get dental research I would do that instead but remember that your biom. research is better than having no research at all.