Would human rights work look weird on an app?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dartmed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I am starting this new project on human rights activism. I am compiling data of police officers, government officials, and politicians who are guilty of human rights violations in a developing country (brutally killing children, raping of children, torture, etc). This data will be presented to the UN later this year or early next year so that this country can take action.

Should this type of work be mentioned on my AMCAS? I feel as though they might ask me why in the world I am pursuing medicine when human rights law is my calling (it's not)? Should I not mention this activity?

I thought it might add a new perspective to my application sort of thing.

Members don't see this ad.

?? Medicine and human rights are directly interwoven, particularly in this day and age. I can't imagine anyone would read this activity description and think you should switch paths to a human rights career (whatever that is). This sounds super interesting, definitely include it.

Members don't see this ad :)
?? Medicine and human rights are directly interwoven, particularly in this day and age. I can't imagine anyone would read this activity description and think you should switch paths to a human rights career (whatever that is). This sounds super interesting, definitely include it.

This. I think what you're doing is amazing, and is definitely a cool opportunity. Med schools want to see you do what you're passionate about, not just do things that will land you an acceptance. The fact that you're displaying your other passions is a huge plus, and gives you something to talk about other than the standard shadowing experience.

I have a lot of humanitarian work in my app, and I had one interviewer ask me why I didn't go into social work instead. I told him that medicine and social work are almost identical, in that you're using your skills to improve the lives of others. My experience should therefore not indicate me to go into a different field, but rather display that I have well-rounded interpersonal skills necessary in medicine.

This is obviously an excellent thing to put on your application. There are a lot of great things you can write and say about this, and it shows you're a caring person at the same time. You should pray this comes up in interviews. If anyone asks why you don't want to do hr law, just intelligently explain that medicine is your calling and what you are not drawn to about law.
I think it is very unlikely that anyone would assume you were interested in law just for your involvement on this project. If you're blowing 2 grand applying to med school (plus COUNTLESS hours with apps and essays), they know you want to go to med school.