Would I be correct in thinking....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fossa9

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would I be correct in thinking that, I might have a better chance of getting into a medical school affiliated with the undergraduate college that I attend.
1) Would this be true?
2) How much would this improve my standings if it were true? 1%-100%
Second question: Would it be in my best interest to be a TA at my undergrad school for a member of the alumni from the med school, in the interest of obtaining a letter of req? Or should I concentrate my efforts on volunteering in the community? My thoughts are, that I would rather volunteer but, if the letter of req. would help my standings I could stand being a TA. One more point…I already have thousands of volunteering hours. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
null

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Fossa9:
•Would I be correct in thinking that, I might have a better chance of getting into a medical school affiliated with the undergraduate college that I attend.
[/b]•

Many schools list on their websites the undergrad schools most heavily represented in their entering classes. Of these, I've noticed that most have a significant portion of their own undergrads in their entering classes. On the other hand, I know people with good applications who haven't even been offered interviews at their alma maters.

Homer J.

I think it depends on the school. I checked this out a while back because I wanted to go to UC Irvine and thought it would be good because it'd also increase my chances for admission to their med program...but I found out that you're actually LESS likely to get admitted there if you were one of their undergrads. I've heard they're pro-change-of-venue but who knows.UCLA on the other hand admits many of their own students so in their case it seems to be advantageous. I'd just call and ask or look it up on their website like the above poster suggested. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
i think it is clearly true as a general rule that med schools like their own ugrads. However it cannot be applied to all schools. for instance, if the med school is more prestigous than its ugrad then it may not help you as much as if you just went to a better ugrad institution. The UCI example above may be a case of this. I know from personal experiences with hopkins and ucla that they do like their own and the % admitted is significantly greater for hopkins and ucla ugrads, respectively. hope this helps.

Thank you all for your replies they were very informative and helpful. I will continue to investagate the matter and relay my findings if any.