Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Would I be hurting my future career if....

Discussion in 'Internal Medicine and IM Subspecialties' started by MGoBlue13, Feb 14, 2007.

1. MGoBlue13

MGoBlue13 Grizzled Member
    7+ Year Member

I chose to rank Stanford or Columbia over, say, Hopkins? I'm interested in a cards fellowship, and I'm just a little more interested in stanford/columbia than I am in living in baltimore. However, if it makes that much of a difference come time to interview for fellowships, I would consider Hopkins closer, because I actually don't mind Baltimore, it's just not as exciting to me as the other two places.

Thanks for the help, ya'll!

-M

2. newenglandgal07

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Go with your gut feeling, follow your heart, where will you be happiest for the next 3 years? blah blah..you've heard it before. If you do outstanding at Stanford or Columbia, you will get a good cards fellowship no matter what. yeah Baltimore is kind of a shady place to be, but what do I know? :laugh:

3. EaglesPA

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I would suggest taking a look at the Cardiology fellowship matches of the three places to see where their graduates have gone in the past few years. That will give you an idea about whether their graduates are matching for fellowships at places you would want to match.
    From what I know, you will do just fine in the Cardiology fellowship match if you went to either Stanford or Columbia over Hopkins.

4. VCMM414

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I can sympathize with NYC/Palo Alto vs Baltimore. With regards to cardiology match, as far as I can tell, there comes a point where relative rankings/prestige matter rather little. Residents from the likes of Columbia/Stanford/Penn/Duke should not have to feel inferior to those coming from Hopkins/MGH.

Hopkins is an amazing program in its own right. I would rank it highest if you feel you will fit in best at Hopkins, and not because it may give you a tiny advantage over the other two in competitive fellowship matches.

5. idiotpathic

idiotpathic New Member
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    a residency program is also a lot about wat u put into it bcoz the level of training at the places u mentioned is the same. and ppl from way smaller programs and underpriveledged backgrounds match into cards with hard work.

i know its corny - but i hope it helped. tc..

6. Agent0

2+ Year Member

I'm interested in Hem/Onc and prefer to be in DC for personal reasons so I'm leaning towards Georgetown(which I know has a love/hate relationship with the folks here..) and I wanted to hear opinions on how much if at all I was compromising future fellowship chances if I ranked Gtown over midwest places such as Northwestern/UChicago/Michigan/Case Western/UPitt

I know Gtown has improved considerably in just the past few years or so but I wonder if their national rep with fellowship directors has caught up with that improvement

All thoughts appreciated!

7. apgarzero

At this time of year, I think we all tend to focus on the smallest of differences between excellent programs and magnify them to help us make our rank lists. If you are deciding between Hopkins, Columbia, and Stanford then you are in an excellent position and have nothing to worry about in terms of your long term career if you are interested in a competitive academic career.

I know marginally more about Stanford than I do the other institutions so I'll comment directly on Stanford. I think Stanford, like most top academic centers, tends to favor its own people for its fellowship positions, so if you are interested in a cards spot at Stanford then going there for residency is a good idea. Compared to other top institutions, I think Stanford's reputation lags the reality of how good of a program it is. You'll get an outstanding critical care experience there (60+ ICU beds for a hopsital with only ~500 beds) and a great CCU experience. In terms of research, it's a special place and is one of the really great intellectual academic environments in the country. I imagine doing a cards fellowship there would be an excellent experience.

The penisula is an expensive place to live (probably comparable to NYC and much more so than Baltimore). However, it's probably easier to raise a family there than the other places (safer, great public schools) so, depending on where you are in your life, that may be something to consider. Of course, you may still be young (or at least feel young!) and dying for NYC nightlife in which case Columbia may make more sense. In any case, you can't go wrong with any of these places! Good luck!

8. Strength&Speed

Strength&Speed Need more speed......
    10+ Year Member

Dude, your fine. Any of the three is good. I put Hopkins 6th out of 10. I wasn't digging their work til you puke attitude.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. OP
    OP
    MGoBlue13

MGoBlue13 Grizzled Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks everyone. I'm starting to make my final decisions, and this is very helpful. I wish everyone the best in the match that is less than a month away! Can't wait to stop making decisions.