Would I be in disadvantaged if I take the Canadian DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know how many ppl can help me on this. I am a 2nd yr Canadian student and my GPA so far is around 3.2-3.3, so I think that I will most likely end up in one of private dental schools in US. But I would also like to apply for Canadian schools even though I have little hope of getting in. But you never know..As the summer is approaching, I am torned between on whether to study for the Canadian DAT or American DAT. So, would I be in disadvantage of getting in private schools in US if I use Canadian DAT score?

Members don't see this ad.

Smooth Operater said:
I don't know how many ppl can help me on this. I am a 2nd yr Canadian student and my GPA so far is around 3.2-3.3, so I think that I will most likely end up in one of private dental schools in US. But I would also like to apply for Canadian schools even though I have little hope of getting in. But you never know..As the summer is approaching, I am torned between on whether to study for the Canadian DAT or American DAT. So, would I be in disadvantage of getting in private schools in US if I use Canadian DAT score?

It will not be a disadvantage to apply with the Canadian DAT only. But, I think having the American DAT shows that you are interested in American Schools, not a last second decision, and in your case it is true. Also it makes it easier for the adcoms to compare you with other applicants, since few sections are different and they might have to make adjustments that they are too lazy to make especially when 2000 others are applying. Also the American DAT can be taken anytime, so do it in the summer, unlike the Can DAT where you can only do it during school :thumbdown: .
I did both of them, and the adcoms were always excited (or seemed to be) when they saw that I did them both. In my case I scored similar in both tests :thumbup:
And the whole American DAT thing worked in my advantage :thumbup:

The Canadian DAT is far more easier than the American DAT. The PAT is the same and most US schools don't consider the carving score for admission purposes. Aside from the fact that the CDA will not send your transcripts properly, you would very wise to do the Candian DAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
The problem with the canadian DAT is that you can only take it in february or october... which means you would be writting it during midterms, atleast that is how it worked out for me.

honestly, if you went to a good canadian school, the dats shouldnt be hard. I didnt study very hard, and i got a 21. So dont sweat them, the thing that is important is making sure your application gets in as early as possible.

for me, personally, i didnt bother applying to canadian schools, its ridiculously hard. For most schools you need atleast a 3.6 before they consider you, and 3.8 will get you in. I dont mean to discourage you, but if i were you, i would aim to get into us schools... and target my application efforts for that.

good luck :luck:

So far I have GPA around 3.2 but I am still in 2nd yr undergrad. So I might have the chance to apply for Canadian schools. I heard Canadian DAT is easier comparing to US DAT. So I guess I will dedicate my time studying for Canadian DAT . :thumbup: What books do you guys recommend to study for the PAT part since it seems it's the hardest part of the exam? Thank you!

Smooth Operater said:
So far I have GPA around 3.2 but I am still in 2nd yr undergrad. So I might have the chance to apply for Canadian schools. I heard Canadian DAT is easier comparing to US DAT. So I guess I will dedicate my time studying for Canadian DAT . :thumbup: What books do you guys recommend to study for the PAT part since it seems it's the hardest part of the exam? Thank you!

Best book for the PAT is Barron's, nothing else! Obviously the Top Score CD will help too, but Kaplan's PAT section is weak :thumbdown:
As for the Canadian DAT being easier than the American DAT... I don't think so. I told you, from a personal experience, I have taked both of them and they are both similar in dificulty level.
However, if you are only second year, then take the Canadian DAT first and do the American DAT in the summer that follows. Just so that you are used the test. You should do well (on the US DAT) cuz it will be your second time taking it, so, I highly recommend doing the US DAT, US schools appreciated it more and it shows more dedication and interest on your side.