Would I even be considered for a bs/md program? If not, please list some decent undergrads for me!

medicalmylife

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Please be honest--do you think I can make it into even one of the lower tier bs/md programs?
Here are my stats:
Current Senior
South Asian Female in TX
Rank: I think I went up a little more, but at the moment I'm 10% (out of a class of about 1400, it's bad)
SAT: 2110, will be taking my ACT very soon
UW GPA: 3.69 (I KNOW IT'S LOW...would colleges consider any senior year grades? I'm sure it will tip over 3.7 by then...)
W GPA: 4.15ish

BS/MDs:
  • UT San Antonio's FAME program
  • SLU
  • Oklahoma
  • U South Alabama
  • UAB EMSAP
  • St. Bonaventure/GW
  • SUNY (DO)
  • PSU-Jefferson (this is a bit of a reach I'm sure; Jefferson is a great med school)
  • VCU
  • Union/Albany
  • UMKC (lol this is pretty much off the list)
Regular:
  • IVIES: Vandy and Dartmouth
  • Emory
  • Drexel
  • Boston College
  • Boston University
  • Case Western?
  • Northwestern?
  • U Chicago
  • Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Baylor, UT, UT Dallas, U Houston
As you can see, many of these schools are out of my league, but I'm just applying because why not. Anyway, there are a lot of schools here, so please if you could either narrow down or add to it somehow, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you so much for taking your time to read this. I'm really really insecure about my stats and I feel totally exposed having this out there. Be as honest as you possibly can, but also give me some suggestions.

Thanks again!

You are not 100% out of the running for "bottom of the barrel" BS/MD, but far from a lock either. Think NEOMED tier programs. PSU BS/MD gets Harvard admits all the time. With your stats, I do not recommend sacrificing your UG experience by going to low tier schools.

For your regular colleges:
1. Vandy is not an Ivy.
2. As an ORM from an over-represented state, a 3.69/2110+average ECs is probably not going to be good enough for NU, Dartmouth, Vandy, and UChicago--only apply if you're okay with 99.9% being rejected.
3. Consider schools such as Rice, maybe Georgetown etc.
4. BU and CWRU grade deflate significantly, so be careful about those, since pre-meds live and die by their GPA.

If you want more school suggestions I'd be happy to help as well. I interned at USNWR way back in high school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so so much that is exactly what I needed. Please go ahead if you have more suggestions.

Members don't see this ad :)
attend the most rigorous college, with reasonable prestige that gives you $
will probably mean avoiding bs-md
which is in your best interest, another 24 months to see the direction health care is headed is in your best interest

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you so so much that is exactly what I needed. Please go ahead if you have more suggestions.
Since I think you're going to get in multiple TX schools as safeties, I'm going to focus on slight reaches/high matches: JHU, WashU, Notre Dame, Cornell, UVA, Berkeley, USC (Cali). Keep in mind these will be low yield for you but getting into one or two is not out of the question.

Avoid BS/MD IMHO.

attend the most rigorous college, with reasonable prestige that gives you $
will probably mean avoiding bs-md
which is in your best interest, another 24 months to see the direction health care is headed is in your best interest

Okie dokie. Thank you.

Since I think you're going to get in multiple TX schools as safeties, I'm going to focus on slight reaches/high matches: JHU, WashU, Notre Dame, Cornell, UVA, Berkeley, USC (Cali). Keep in mind these will be low yield for you but getting into one or two is not out of the question.

Avoid BS/MD IMHO.

Okay!