Would I have a chance at good dental schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

applicant

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, this is my first time here.
I am currently sophomore at Cornell Engineering. I have been thinking about what I like and what I can do well and conclusion is that I don't fit engineering. I realized that I am more bio and chem person than math or physics person; in high school, I did AP bio and chem and did well but I went to engineering since I thought I was good at math and liked math. I always had interest in dentistry since my brother is in dental school and I am about to switch to Arts and Science to major in biochemistry and prepare for dental school. But the problem is that since courses I took so far are engineering courses, I might have to postpone graduation about one year(most bio and chem courses are one-year continuous courses)if I switch now. Another problem is my GPA. I wasn't motivated to study since all the engineering courses were no interest to me and my GPA is currently 2.95. How would these two problems affect me in getting into dental school?
Would I have a chance in getting into good dental schools like Columbia and U-Penn if I do well in the next 3 years, doing biochemistry major?
I immigrated to US 4 years ago when I just started my soph year in high school and I am not able to speak English like native English speakers do. Would this have a lot of bad effect on my getting into dental school?

I would appreciate any help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi applicant!
Your english sounds pretty good to me. I don't hear you speak yet, but 3 more years would give you plenty of time to practice to speak like a professional. That shouldn't be a problem...
bio chem is a very difficult subject. But if you like it, you will do well, and bring up your gpa. So, by the time you graduate, you would be in good shape. I think the most important thing is that for the upcoming semester, you should try to do well academically and take only classes that You like, so you would have a better gpa...
Best of luck with your studying....I think that you are in pretty good shape so don't worry too much, just be prepared for the future....
tink

soph @ cornell: DO major in what you love. the good thing about dental school is that you can major in anything as long as you have completed the desired pre-reqs (one year bio, chem, organic chem, physics, english and math). I would not do biochem JUST to apply and get through ivy schools (as you will learn if you persist that some state schools are equally as good, if not better).
you also have 3 years to improve your GPA (3.5 seems to be safe these days), enjoy college and hone your professional interests.
best of luck.
ps: where does your brother go to school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi.
Also, another question.
Is it a good idea to use AP credit for intro bio and chem?
I was planning to ignore AP credit and start all over, taking intro bio and chem next year.
Is this a good idea?

ps.my brother is in dental school in Korea, not in us.

Hi,
I think that AP credits may not be accepted by most dental schools for the core science courses.

Dear Applicants..

WHat school in Korea does your brother goes to? Just curious.....
;)

You can use AP credit for intro bio and chem to take upper level science classes (organic, biochem, cell bio etc). It's up to you if you want to use it or not...if you can refresh a little bit before taking the classes, go for it. If you feel you need to take the intro classes to have a better foundation, then do that. It's good that you realized this now and so you can switch majors and then apply to dental school. I think with your engineering background, maybe the sciences won't be as hard for you...but get that GPA up. Mine was a 3.01 and I applied last year and didn't get in. I'm doing a year of classes to get better grades, so make sure you get that up. Good luck :)