Would it be a bad idea to disclose my sexuality during interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just sick of the LGBT community throwing their agenda in my face. I can't even get on SDN without seeing it. Why are homosexuals so adamant on telling the world they are gay? It doesn't define who you are. You are much more than your sexuality. My whole self image doesn't revolve around the fact that I'm heterosexual. I don't plan on bringing up the fact that I am heterosexual in my interviews.

I'm not trying to say that I violently oppose LGBTs either. I'm just sick of all this conversation about it, when they are such a minority of the total population.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm just sick of the LGBT community throwing their agenda in my face. I can't even get on SDN without seeing it. Why are homosexuals so adamant on telling the world they are gay? It doesn't define who you are. You are much more than your sexuality. My whole self image doesn't revolve around the fact that I'm heterosexual. I don't plan on bringing up the fact that I am heterosexual in my interviews.

I'm not trying to say that I violently oppose LGBTs either. I'm just sick of all this conversation about it, when they are such a minority of the total population.
1440786109184.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

What exactly is their agenda?

I'm sorry you can't even get on SDN without encountering gay people. It must be terrible for you.

You shouldn't let other people's freedom to express themselves bother you so much; sounds like you're in for a hard angry life that way.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've never understood the butthurt surrounding pride

Just for me, my first pride was the first time I felt really safe and like I was surrounded by people who wouldn't make fun of or hurt me. It was a really beautiful thing for me after dealing with so much bullying and being put out by my parents. That's what pride is about, not being ashamed or fearful in the face of adversity.

And really I just don't understand why some straight people even give a damn. It's like getting pissed that some guy 2 cities over is throwing a zombie themed party. You may think it's dumb, but it doesn't affect you. It's not like there's a personalized invitation that goes out to every straight person to go to pride. You can completely avoid it if you want to, it's not like every town even has a pride event. It's just silly to be so mad about something that you weren't even invited to. And it's not like I've ever seen people get butthurt over other cultural events like Italian heritage festivals or Asian heritage festivals or whatever. But clearly this is different because teh gayz! *spooky voice*

I don't have a problem with straights. I just don't want them shoving their nasty straight-ness in my face you know?

Like have you ever been to a st. Paddy's day parade. Gross straight people making out everywhere. No one cares that you like to put your penises in vaginas, just keep that ish away from me! And romatic comedies? Sick. I get it, you're straight. Barf. Can you believe this guy at school told me a story about his girlfriend the other day? His girlfriend! Like keep your breeder life away from me, man. I don't want to here about how you went to a restaurant, in public, with children around. Ugh. It's like they want to involve their friends and family in their lives like complete human beings. Ugh. Whatever, Chad, I don't want to hear about the risotto Melissa made you last night. I bet that's a euphemism about straight sex! Gross!
And you wonder why you are not liked

Reactions: 2 users
TL;DR: parades + butts/exposed skin + stickers = homosexuals.
Sounds like my kind of people.

I don't have a problem with straights. I just don't want them shoving their nasty straight-ness in my face you know?

Like have you ever been to a st. Paddy's day parade. Gross straight people making out everywhere. No one cares that you like to put your penises in vaginas, just keep that ish away from me! And romatic comedies? Sick. I get it, you're straight. Barf. Can you believe this guy at school told me a story about his girlfriend the other day? His girlfriend! Like keep your breeder life away from me, man. I don't want to here about how you went to a restaurant, in public, with children around. Ugh. It's like they want to involve their friends and family in their lives like complete human beings. Ugh. Whatever, Chad, I don't want to hear about the risotto Melissa made you last night. I bet that's a euphemism about straight sex! Gross!

I know we're just beating a dead horse at this point, but guys... we're not going to change people's minds by exasperating people... you have to create some common starting place from their side, even if you're doing all the legwork. You might enjoy making people red in the face, but it makes it harder for the rest of us.

People define themselves by their struggles and successes, and everyone's are different. You're making this thread more and more about the very thing you're tired of seeing.

I'm sorry you can't even get on SDN without encountering gay people. It must be terrible for you.

You shouldn't let other people's freedom to express themselves bother you so much; sounds like you're in for a hard angry life that way.

There's no judge here who's going to tally up the score and decide who won. This is like the cave on Degobah.... you've got "only what you take with you," and right now that's just the people in this thread. Sarcasm is natural, but it's not helping.

I think OP has received the full spectrum of advice when it comes to her predicament. At this point, we're all just staking out which tribe we all belong to. If you want to change someone, sometimes you have to start by taking some of their **** and not throw it back their way.

Just for me, my first pride was the first time I felt really safe and like I was surrounded by people who wouldn't make fun of or hurt me. It was a really beautiful thing for me after dealing with so much bullying and being put out by my parents. That's what pride is about, not being ashamed or fearful in the face of adversity.

And really I just don't understand why some straight people even give a damn. It's like getting pissed that some guy 2 cities over is throwing a zombie themed party. You may think it's dumb, but it doesn't affect you. It's not like there's a personalized invitation that goes out to every straight person to go to pride. You can completely avoid it if you want to, it's not like every town even has a pride event. It's just silly to be so mad about something that you weren't even invited to. And it's not like I've ever seen people get butthurt over other cultural events like Italian heritage festivals or Asian heritage festivals or whatever. But clearly this is different because teh gayz! *spooky voice*

You would get your point across better by politely explaining the fellowship of prides. But the people you're reaching out to stopped listening after your first sentence.

Reactions: 1 user

It comes from the fact, that deep down they are not so sure it is such a great thing and overcompensate, sometimes barking at the wrong tree. They only hurting themselves

I've never been to gay pride! I've missed ~4 since coming out. School always caught up to me. ahhh

Please allow the same freedoms for others

Sweetie, if you do not understand, it does not mean the problem does not exist. Straights are not the only ones having a problem with outfits and behavior of some during those parades

It comes from the fact, that deep down they are not so sure it is such a great thing and overcompensate, sometimes barking at the wrong tree. They only hurting themselves

Sometimes I feel like I'm building a house of cards in a hurricane. But I guess I keep coming back for more.

Sorry if anyone has felt lectured by me. I'm going to go nurse my disappointment in some chips and dip. Maybe some of us will unknowingly befriend each other out in schools. See you there.

Members don't see this ad :)
And you wonder why you are not liked

You're adorable. I think I'm going to call you chuckles.
I know we're just beating a dead horse at this point, but guys... we're not going to change people's minds by exasperating people... you have to create some common starting place from their side, even if you're doing all the legwork. You might enjoy making people red in the face, but it makes it harder for the rest of us.

People define themselves by their struggles and successes, and everyone's are different. You're making this thread more and more about the very thing you're tired of seeing.

There's no judge here who's going to tally up the score and decide who won. This is like the cave on Degobah.... you've got "only what you take with you," and right now that's just the people in this thread. Sarcasm is natural, but it's not helping.

I think OP has received the full spectrum of advice when it comes to her predicament. At this point, we're all just staking out which tribe we all belong to. If you want to change someone, sometimes you have to start by taking some of their **** and not throw it back their way.

You would get your point across better by politely explaining the fellowship of prides. But the people you're reaching out to stopped listening after your first sentence.
I don't blame you for thinking the way you do, in fact I used to think the same way, but there gets to be a point, at least there was for me, where I don't think it's worth it for my own self respect to kow tow to those promoting hate. I do get the whole "let's reach out with open arms and be nice to those who are hurting us" view, but I've just been burned too many times and I don't think that any of those on here promoting that junk are coming to the table in good faith. When I think that is the case, my tacits change drastically. However, in my experience those who act like these yahoos respond better to troll on troll combat. You can think I'm an ass or "ruining the movement" or whatever, but trust me - you can't reach everyone by being nice. Sometimes, your best tool really is a hammer.

I don't blame you for thinking the way you do, in fact I used to think the same way, but there gets to be a point, at least there was for me, where I don't think it's worth it for my own self respect to kow tow to those promoting hate. I do get the whole "let's reach out with open arms and be nice to those who are hurting us" view, but I've just been burned too many times and I don't think that any of those on here promoting that junk are coming to the table in good faith. When I think that is the case, my tacits change drastically. However, in my experience those who act like these yahoos respond better to troll on troll combat. You can think I'm an ass or "ruining the movement" or whatever, but trust me - you can't reach everyone by being nice. Sometimes, your best tool really is a hammer.

I agree that the hammer is better for one's self respect. I have an avoidant streak that doesn't always serve me well. But just growing up inside the galaxy of every conservative pundit you can imagine, I can see the hammer playing into their narratives. I don't know what the best answer is sometimes.

Sweetie, if you do not understand, it does not mean the problem does not exist. Straights are not the only ones having a problem with outfits and behavior of some during those parades
Yup. Let's just sanitize the movement, let's throw out the leathers and the cross dressers and all the queers that white bread America is uncomfortable with. Pride is about accepting everyone. I've seen people tell others to not harass people with horribly homophobic signs because it's not in the spirit of pride. Not turning away anyone is the whole point.

I agree that the hammer is better for one's self respect. I have an avoidant streak that doesn't always serve me well. But just growing up inside the galaxy of every conservative pundit you can imagine, I can see the hammer playing into their narratives. I don't know what the best answer is sometimes.
I absolutely see where you are coming from, and for the record it's not like I think I'm the world's best activist that always makes the best decisions. I'm italian, I get loud and angry even when that's not always in my own best interest (even tho it might feel damn good at the time). It's a difficult line to walk between keeping your integrity and being the most effective and everyone is going to have a different line in the sand, so to speak.

Why can't you just be satisfied with tolerance? Like attitude of understanding, compassion and no love/no hate. I think this is what most people can offer, despite the fact that their religion and culture dictates that homosexualism is a sin. It seems that it is either piglet screaming excited high school girl attitude or you are a labeled a homophob

This isn't tolerance. That's why.

Yup. Let's just sanitize the movement, let's throw out the leathers and the cross dressers and all the queers that white bread America is uncomfortable with. Pride is about accepting everyone. I've seen people tell others to not harass people with horribly homophobic signs because it's not in the spirit of pride. Not turning away anyone is the whole point.
Lets just agree, that some people have bad taste

Lets just agree, that some people have bad taste
Of course some people have bad taste. That doesn't mean we should shame them or exclude them though. That's my whole point. I get that a gay dude with a beard dressed like a nun in full makeup is going to make some people uncomfortable. I'm just saying let him do his thing. What he wants to wear doesn't affect anyone else so there is no need to get butthurt over it.

Of course some people have bad taste. That doesn't mean we should shame them or exclude them though. That's my whole point. I get that a gay dude with a beard dressed like a nun in full makeup is going to make some people uncomfortable. I'm just saying let him do his thing. What he wants to wear doesn't affect anyone else so there is no need to get butthurt over it.
People with a bad taste have to be told, otherwise they will never improve. Nun outfit does not bother many. Naked biker with a sock on his ... that is a bit too much or ladies with their bare boobs marching the street

People with a bad taste have to be told, otherwise they will never improve. Nun outfit does not bother many. Naked biker with a sock on his ... that is a bit too much or ladies with their bare boobs marching the street
Rofl. Okay then. Never had a straight dude argue with me about not wanting to see boobs. Who's over compensating now?

Public nudity is illegal depending on where you live, so that's an issue for the police, not for you to clutch your pearls at.

Rofl. Okay then. Never had a straight dude argue with me about not wanting to see boobs. Who's over compensating now?

Public nudity is illegal depending on where you live, so that's an issue for the police, not for you to clutch your pearls at.
Those boobs were really ugly and most of the girls too, dudes were much better looking apart from a hairy biker dude with a sock

Sometimes I feel like I'm building a house of cards in a hurricane. But I guess I keep coming back for more.

Sorry if anyone has felt lectured by me. I'm going to go nurse my disappointment in some chips and dip. Maybe some of us will unknowingly befriend each other out in schools. See you there.

Enjoy the guac for me!

Ultimately, this is your decision. When i read what you were planning to say, I was very understanding. But I am 22 and this generation is a lot more open minded, and you never know what prejudices some of the committee members may have.

I wonder if you simply say, I had personal problems that led me into depression, and I couldn't keep up my grades. If this would suffice... I actually took a whole year off after graduating and did nothing because I was depressed. I could not focus on doing anything. I might just say I had personal problems that were important... Ill see how that goes!

Good luck!

Those boobs were really ugly and most of the girls too, dudes were much better looking apart from a hairy biker dude with a sock
I mean.. why go if you don't like what you see? No one is forcing you to go. Gay pride will always have people, hot or not, showing excessive skin. You will never be able to change that because it is the culture of the parade. I'm a lesbian and I haven't gone partly because I feel uncomfortable seeing things that I don't want to see, and I have only heard about what they show. But I don't go around saying that they need to change or that they're gross or that they don't represent LGBT members very well. It doesn't matter to me because their activities don't affect me in any way, and it shouldn't matter to you (a heterosexual nonetheless) either.

OMG I feel so sorry for you. You don't get it at all.

Look, the bottom like is that we are all entering a profession of service where everyone is to be treated with respect. Heck, this applies to everyone. If you disagree with someone based on their lifestyle, fine. Last time I checked, you can still be friends and kind to one another if you disagree. It also goes the same for those if you agree with certain lifestyles. Let's all calm down and get ready for football season.

Have a good weekend y'all and God bless!!!!!

Look, the bottom like is that we are all entering a profession of service where everyone is to be treated with respect. Heck, this applies to everyone. If you disagree with someone based on their lifestyle, fine. Last time I checked, you can still be friends and kind to one another if you disagree. It also goes the same for those if you agree with certain lifestyles. Let's all calm down and get ready for football season.

Have a good weekend y'all and God bless!!!!!

Oh look, a white hetero man trying to pass as a new minority in America for having their Christian "lifestyle" assaulted by everyone else :lol:

Last edited:
I mean.. why go if you don't like what you see? No one is forcing you to go. Gay pride will always have people, hot or not, showing excessive skin. You will never be able to change that because it is the culture of the parade. I'm a lesbian and I haven't gone partly because I feel uncomfortable seeing things that I don't want to see, and I have only heard about what they show. But I don't go around saying that they need to change or that they're gross or that they don't represent LGBT members very well. It doesn't matter to me because their activities don't affect me in any way, and it shouldn't matter to you (a heterosexual nonetheless) either.
I happened to be there by accident and would not go back, even though circus is less entertaining. I really do not understand the need to expose genitalia to the public. You would be grossed out too

I happened to be there by accident and would not go back, even though circus is less entertaining. I really do not understand the need to expose genitalia to the public. You would be grossed out too

It's their choice, and it's none of our business to judge them. You could've easily looked away.

Well, I guess at the end of the day I hope we all get to meet someone we greatly love/respect with a different perspective, and can have a real conversation about this important issue in a safe place. I don't think anyone is changing their opinions/viewpoints on this issue from the assertions of strangers on the internet who aren't treading lightly with their words.
Best to you all.

Hey girl, so I struggled with depression my freshman year of college and it affected my first semester grades. I had family issues my whole life and just struggled to find myself also. I completely understand where you're coming from in terms of being honest and open about your struggles and how you've ultimately become a better version of yourself and all of that. However, I, personally, don't feel the need to let adcoms know anything too deeply about my situation because it's just truly not necessary to announce it to the world. Saying, "I had a few family struggles to work through and it affected my mental health a bit. I'm glad I went through that hardship because it enabled my growth as a human being," would suffice. Going any more in depth than that about your situation would indicate that you might not have actually gotten over it fully and feel the need to discuss it to prove something. The thing is, everyone has had some sort of major issue in their life, but those who don't delve into that issue too much will come out looking a little more strong. Just my two cents. Hope everything works out for you. I'm rooting for you :)

You know, as much as my school pushes the idea of redemption of our wayward peers through education and their subsequent reintegration into the student body without hard feelings or grudges, there are so many people on this Earth who never seem to learn. My own group practice's first tenet is "Always be kind" and believe me, it's very hard to practice these things, especially given how unaware most people are of their own acts of unkindness towards others. It may be because they hide behind "intention" rather than acknowledge and legitimize another person's feelings which is what I'm seeing here from a few people in particular.

@Golfah, none of us know any characteristics of who will be reading your application or interviewing you. We don't know how capable anyone is of acting in such a way that they're "objective" in the sense of not being influenced by their personal beliefs. And besides, I'm sure adcoms get bored reading the same insipid essays devoid of self-awareness and personal reflection over and over again. I've read a lot of essays over the years for all kinds of applications and the majority, even though most have come from people I intellectually respect, were incredibly shallow and in some cases came off as condescending and self-serving. No personality revealed, nothing personal, and devoid of anything that could possibly offend or alternatively, entice. Take some calculated risks.

When you get to the interview, read your interviewer. Mine seemed like a jolly and mischievous sort who'd enjoy hearing about my efforts to "stick it to the man, right under his nose" through discreet but personal charitable efforts to adults who have been abused by their fundamentalist communities and had escaped or were considering escaping. If my interviewer had been more dour, I wouldn't mention how much I love being subversive. I'd probably construct it as "the only morally upright option" with regard to my personal code of ethics or something more formal sounding. It's mostly about the tone in which you present it. As long as you read the situation well, you'll know which details to provide and which to leave out.

Have an end goal in mind too, like for me, helping others escape is about having compassion for people whose beliefs I personally find repugnant but still recognize their plight as another living being and assist them anyways because I don't blame them individually for having uninformed opinions and bigotry ingrained by their community as dogma. Dentistry doesn't want dogma. It wants people who are willing to critically evaluate evidence and change their practices and beliefs in accordance with new, quality information.

It's their choice, and it's none of our business to judge them. You could've easily looked away.
We judge people all the time - this way the behavior of the society is shaped. We judge each other even here, didn't you notice? If everyone will be silent, the world will be a mess

You know, as much as my school pushes the idea of redemption of our wayward peers through education and their subsequent reintegration into the student body without hard feelings or grudges, there are so many people on this Earth who never seem to learn. My own group practice's first tenet is "Always be kind" and believe me, it's very hard to practice these things, especially given how unaware most people are of their own acts of unkindness towards others. It may be because they hide behind "intention" rather than acknowledge and legitimize another person's feelings which is what I'm seeing here from a few people in particular.

@Golfah, none of us know any characteristics of who will be reading your application or interviewing you. We don't know how capable anyone is of acting in such a way that they're "objective" in the sense of not being influenced by their personal beliefs. And besides, I'm sure adcoms get bored reading the same insipid essays devoid of self-awareness and personal reflection over and over again. I've read a lot of essays over the years for all kinds of applications and the majority, even though most have come from people I intellectually respect, were incredibly shallow and in some cases came off as condescending and self-serving. No personality revealed, nothing personal, and devoid of anything that could possibly offend or alternatively, entice. Take some calculated risks.

When you get to the interview, read your interviewer. Mine seemed like a jolly and mischievous sort who'd enjoy hearing about my efforts to "stick it to the man, right under his nose" through discreet but personal charitable efforts to adults who have been abused by their fundamentalist communities and had escaped or were considering escaping. If my interviewer had been more dour, I wouldn't mention how much I love being subversive. I'd probably construct it as "the only morally upright option" with regard to my personal code of ethics or something more formal sounding. It's mostly about the tone in which you present it. As long as you read the situation well, you'll know which details to provide and which to leave out.

Have an end goal in mind too, like for me, helping others escape is about having compassion for people whose beliefs I personally find repugnant but still recognize their plight as another living being and assist them anyways because I don't blame them individually for having uninformed opinions and bigotry ingrained by their community as dogma. Dentistry doesn't want dogma. It wants people who are willing to critically evaluate evidence and change their practices and beliefs in accordance with new, quality information.

First of all, how do you write so well?!

Yes, I agree. Like I said earlier, I am going to have two answers ready. It will depend on the interview.

I'm assuming that if the dean or the admissions director said themselves on their website that they are very supportive of the LGBT community at their school, there is a high chance that it will be completely fine to talk about. I will also read about how supportive the school is of the LGBT community and ask several current dental students of how comfortable the admissions are with people like me.

I don't feel like my sexual orientation is something that I should hide, just like my mixed race and religion. I identify as a lesbian just as much as I identify with being Muslim, my 2 races and my ethnicity.

My very good-looking and smart non-binary friend is applying to medical school this year. I asked them if they were worried about how conservative the admissions at medical school were going to be because they practically flaunt their queerness. They said that they had the same concern since their application pretty much had all the LGBT groups and activities listed lol. They said that when they brought up the concern with our advisor, our advisor asked to do a mock interview with them. At the interview, my friend said that our advisor was like, "you know what [name], you. look. great." She said that their interview attire, which included a suit and a nicely cut fauxhawk, was great and they were very professional.

Last edited:
We judge people all the time - this way the behavior of the society is shaped. We judge each other even here, didn't you notice? If everyone will be silent, the world will be a mess

I don't think you're thinking when you type. I think you're just typing whatever comes to your mind without giving it much thought or consideration. It's sad and annoying because 1- you've created your own ideals and judgments based on your stupid observations, 2- you are not putting any effort into trying to understand what we're saying here, and 3- your privileged right-fighting, ignorant and judgmental character is getting on my nerves. I also don't think you are well-read enough about our society or our world to be having a conversation with me or to be even giving me any advice about my life. You lack the wisdom, kindness, education, background and knowledge for that, and I'm getting hurt because of your crappy comments.

I appreciated the advice where you said that it would be in my best interest to not bring up my sexual orientation during an interview. Thank you for your contribution.

Please do not continue this conversation. I am ignoring you from now on because I've already wasted too much time replying to your $%#@. Please do the same and stop posting on this thread and save people their headaches.

Last edited:
A sip of water helps to calm nerves.
You asked a question on a public forum, where every member can express their opinion within the forum's regulations, does not matter if you like it or not. So you and not me are not thinking.
I was very civil and gave you a very solid advice. The problem is, that you expected everyone to say: "Yea, elaborate as much as you can on an interview, it is such a struggle, very noble struggle, they will accept you with open arms" Our society is not there yet and you know that, otherwise there would not be any struggles or questions. At least half of all americans are deeply religious and believe, that homosexuality or acting on it is a sin. Take it into consideration, respect other people's believes and opinions - your's is not the only one worth being respected.
I am able to write about things just the way they are, without being shy or trying to be politically correct, what is the point of sugarcoating if it is a matter of your future. I care and that is what important, not if I like exposed ugly boobs or not

This is why a social justice curriculum should be taught in all professional healthcare schools.

To address why we do not allow child molesters into dental school: Pretty sure that's a felony. While it's possible to get into dental school with a felony charge, I think the likelihood of hearing back from the adcoms would be low. As far as high school dropouts: Bro. You need an undergrad degree to apply. Moot points, here. And say you were to run into a child molester during your time as a doctor--do you deny them care because they did something like that? Do they not deserve care? Even if we went back to the practice of institutionalizing "sexual deviants," I guarantee you SOMEBODY would need to be taking care of them.

And times have certainly not changed for people like you who think that not effectually imprisoning homosexuals is considered, "progress." You clearly have many more definitions to pursue than I do.

You are continually missing the point....the point is....THIS IS NOT A TOPIC TO SPEAK ABOUT IN A PROFESSIONAL INTERVIEW, period, end of story. Right, wrong, good bad, legal, illegal doesn't matter, it's just not something to discuss in a professional interview. Just like you wouldn't go into the interview and start talking politics and religion or a whole host of other topics. They are not only irrelevant, but also just not appropriate for an interview, end of story.

Now, if the OP wants to take the chance, hey, more power to her, that will just leave an extra seat somewhere for someone else that can conduct a professional interview.

I'm starting to realize a lot of people don't know the meanings of "professional" or "civil" unless they're engaging in some kind of euphemistic doublethink that I am just too thick to possibly understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.