Would it be a bad idea to enlist in Navy with a college degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sisowath

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've graduated last year with biology degree from a state university. Since the economy is bad it hard to find a job. Then I enlisted in the Navy 6 months ago as HM and will ship out to boot camp this May. But now I'm currently working in a big bioresearch center as a contractor. There is possible that the contract will be renew this September (but not 100% positive). I'm studying for MCAT and I want to apply USUHS next year.

Would it be a bad idea to enlist in Navy with a college degree? Any enlisted people currently applying to USUHS?

or Should I apply as a civilian? Does Navy DEP drop out will hurt my chance in the future?

Members don't see this ad.

This it's one of the worst ideas I've heard in a long time. If you want to go to medical school any time soon, you don't want to enlist in the navy or anywhere else. When they have you, they have you. What makes you think they would support your application to USUHS. You're committing to x years as an enlisted person. That's what they want, that's what they need, and that's what they'll get. Expect to chip paint, stock shelves, deploy, the whole enchilada. When your contact is up, then it's time to negotiate a new arrangement.
Don't trust your recruiter. Get out if you can.

Once you've signed the contract you're locked in. You can still apply to USUHS but you'll need a letter of approval. Whether or not you get that is another matter entirely. Where I came from in the Army, your chances of getting a LOA were slim to none.

Aside from that, I enlisted in the Army with a degree. Nothing wrong with it, but if you want to go to medical school you're going to have to fulfill your contract first. Or get incredibly lucky and get an LOA.

Thank you I really appreciate your help!