Would it be beneficial for me to add these experiences to my application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scaredcurved

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! - Just a little background information to preface this; I'm a business student with a minor in Islamic World Studies -- and I became a premed my senior year of undergrad. My personal statement speaks about my journey to medicine, with experiences along the way in the music business, entrepreneurship, volunteering, and clinical work that led me to my current desire to be a doctor. I speak about how I want to become a physician who volunteers to help underserved minorities in the USA (+ back home in Pakistan) and I also have a desire to get involved in the business of healthcare -- given my background. Thanks :)

Also -- in addition to these I have about 8 other activities that are primarily clinical work, clinical volunteering, clinical research, and nonclinical volunteering. I just believe that these activities would help to show my unique background -- and hopefully help me stand out a little bit from other applicants. Plus, I believe adding these would really help tell my story about my journey, and paint a full picture of who I am to admission communities, so here we go!

1. Political Research 300hrs -- here I did research and wrote a paper about the partition in 1947 between India and Pakistan, and the violence that occurred as millions of people traveled to their new homes. I did my own surveys with people that experienced the atrocities first hand, including my grandfather, and this heavily influenced me to go overseas and begin volunteering with people who were still feeling the ramifications of the mass poverty created by this period. (more about actually doing clinical volunteering in Pakistan that cemented my desire to become a physician in other activities)

2. Consulting for a fortune 500 company 500hrs -- this speaks about a time that I worked on a team to create a strategic plan for a fortune 500 company -- mainly learning how to cater to millennials entering the workforce, and convincing them to work in undesirable locations. Including advice on how to better market themselves etc. I worked directly with Vice-Presidents of the company. In my application I'd mainly speak about how this gave me valuable experience on working with a specialized team to accomplish a complex goal, similar to the teamwork necessary in medicine. And also how it taught me how to interact with other business professionals, which are skills I'd hope to use if I am able to work in the healthcare business.

3. Startup 500hrs -- I worked with a friend of mine to create a company where we sold shoes that had rechargeable battery packs and lights on the outside. We actually got a patent for this technology and I directly communicated with factories in China to begin manufacturing. I can't really tie this to medicine but I just think it's something cool that I did that I'm proud of. -- I unfortunately had to stop working with him because I became busy in my premed work but he's gotten millions of dollars in funding now, and is really putting together a great team.

4. Music Producer (too many hours :/) -- So before I was interested in medicine, I thought I was gonna be a full time music producer. I reached millions of streams on my music, had record deals available to sign, and was travelling the country going from city to city making music. This was during my freshman // sophomore year of college -- which explains why I had 3.2 and 3.4 those years. This really plays into my story because after I decided to let go of this dream I reinvented myself and have gotten 9 semesters with 4.0s, making my cGPA a 3.7 and my sGPA a 4.0. Also, I want to speak about how this experience taught me how to become friends and interact with people from an extremely wide range of socioeconomic levels I would never have been exposed to (being a asian kid in a sheltered family from a small town) and I really do believe its given me the skills to quickly connect with a wide range of people -- a skill I hope to use as a physician.

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have some awesome experiences that make you stand out from many other candidates! You mentioned you had 8 other experiences/activities, so with these 4, you're still only at 12 out of the 15 allowable, so I see no reason why you wouldn't include them.

Reactions: 1 user
You have some awesome experiences that make you stand out from many other candidates! You mentioned you had 8 other experiences/activities, so with these 4, you're still only at 12 out of the 15 allowable, so I see no reason why you wouldn't include them.
Thank you! That really helped me out. I think my main worry was that these were not specifically medicine related, or it may seem like a stretch as to how they would make me a good doctor, so it wouldn't be a good idea to include them