Would it be okay to say in my PS that I was not ready last cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mmeow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
"I was lying then but I'm not lying now"? Probably every cop in the country hears this every shift. Not going to get you anywhere.

"My parents made me do it"? You were an adult human being in charge of your own life. Pathetic.

"I had different experiences during the gap year" = I found out how hard real life is for most people. Boo-hoo.

My suggestion: apply to different schools from your first attempt, and tell them (if you are asked in secondaries/at interview, not in your personal statement) that you misunderstood the process the first time around and made a late application which then didn't get anywhere. Although I feel slightly dirty for even giving you that advice.

While I would say cut him some slack as it already sucks to be a re-app, OP you do have a more difficult time than others. You need to convince the adcom that you are truly sure that you want and can become a physician now. I would come out point blank, perhaps saying you thought you were sure, but only to realize now that your conviction has not been firm, as something had happened last year. Even though you said you sounded firm on your essay, did it really come across as so to the adcom when you supposedly wrote it while hesitant? Show strong and genuine motivation and commitment that you are in for this for real this time. Best way is to also complete everything early to demonstrate eagerness. Good luck.

P.S. shopsteward is right about your parents. You are a grown adult, and cannot hold your parents responsible for your doings. Own up to it and take control.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think there's any way you could spin that in order to make it a positive thing.

Reactions: 1 user
Stop being so hard on the OP. Many people only find out their passion, only once they walk away from it. There's no harm in speaking the truth and saying that "I've stronger conviction and passion now that I'm fully confident that medicine is the right career path for me". It takes a human to err, but a wise one to realize they've made a mistake and accept it.

Avoid saying it. Your PS should be about why you want to be a physician now, not why you didn't want to be a physician then. Talk about the experience that reinforced your convictions. Make sure they know that this is exactly what your want to do and that you are free of any doubts. I would not talk about not being sure in the past unless someone brings it up in an interview, and even then you should emphasize the fact that you are ready now.

No, because this says you make poor choices.

The question is: I wanted to say, in my personal statement, that I was hesitant on my decision to go to med school when I applied last time. Is it okay to say that on there? Or do you think it is better to leave that part out? (because even though I was hesitant at that time I wrote a personal statement that sounded I'm firm on my decision.... lol because that's what you do with personal statements.. right?)[/QUOTE]