Would it be rude of me to ask a letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aaaron

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys, this is my first post.
So I have started in a research lab under a grad student in late March. So I'm thinking of asking a LOR from her but obviously it's been only a couple months. Do you guys think it would be weird to ask her for a letter? I've been going in to the lab regularly but I haven't done too much yet.
I plan to continue working there through the summer and beyond though.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

ask the PI not the grad student if you can

Yes, I think the grad student writes it and PI signs it. But the problem is do you think I would look like a typical pre-med gunner who works in a lab for two months, takes advantage of the lab, and asks for a LOR?
I don't know what to do.:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are unsure i dont think it will hurt to ask. Though honestly 2 months isnt a lot of time and it sounds like your PI doesnt have a lot of interaction with you. The best thing i can tell you is if you are unsure just straight up ask her do you feel that you can write me a strong letter. I did this and while some teachers shot me down saying no, others said yes and i feel those are going to be good letters. By asking you are making sure that you should not end up with any poor/mediocire letters

Yes, I think the grad student writes it and PI signs it. But the problem is do you think I would look like a typical pre-med gunner who works in a lab for two months, takes advantage of the lab, and asks for a LOR?
I don't know what to do.:confused:

Its to your benefit to ask. At worst, the student will say that she doesn't know enough to write one yet. You can add this as an update later through interfolio if need be. I would ask one for one anyway. If you show up on time and have not been flaky, then she should like you enough to write one.

This is a great question IMO, because I am in the same position. I don't know about the OP, but I don't necessarily need a letter from my PI just to have enough letters. I do, however, think it might be good to have a research related letter.

If you decide against the letter at this time, I would go w/ an Interfolio account or AMCAS letter writer application (if they allow it, not sure what the policy is now) and update schools individually when necessary

I would only ask for a LOR if a. the person knew me really well or b. it was required (i.e. my review committee required a letter from a science professor, and I don't know any science professors very well). Really I can't imagine that the grad student knows you very well after 6 weeks, but you are obviously the only one here who can accurately judge that. I don't think it will come off as gunnerish unless you haven't really established any kind of profesional relationship.

If you need letters of rec., I would say that you should absolutely ask her for one. I don't think really can be rude to ask, if she doesn't want to write one, she'll just say no. It's really easy to imagine how a letter writer could be more qualified or get to know you better, but my feeling is that the vast majority of people are just getting by with decent letters of recommendation. And as long as other points in your application shine, then a decent letter from someone who has known you a couple of months will be sufficient.

As an aside, after I got accepted late in the season last year (deferred to this fall) I got a job as a lecturer, teaching undergrad math. I had a student come up to me, literally in the third week, and ask if I'd write her a letter for some student leadership something or other. She later decided that she wasn't going to run for the position and didn't need the letter. Point is that I would have done it though. I wouldn't have really had much to write (so-and-so is punctual for class and passes quizzes!) but I think there's this intimidation factor when asking for letters. Most people in roles to write letters are probably more than happy to do it because it is A) not much of an inconvenience and B) they've probably had to ask for a slew of them themselves.