Would it be too late to apply in early October?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Would it be too late to apply in early October?

• Total voters

Yazo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I finished my third year of undergrad a couple of weeks ago and right now I'm starting to study for the MCAT, which I hope to take on August 31. This means that I will have my score in early October and I will have my application ready by then to apply ASAP. I'm also starting to gather letters of recommendation and a committee letter via Interfolio right now.

Would early October be too late in the application cycle?

I have a cGPA of ~3.86 and a sGPA of ~3.80.

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

You posted same thing in Pre-DO.

This is podiatry forum. Podiatry cycle starts in August and runs longer.
Yeah, I'm hoping to apply to both DO and DPM this cycle. Thanks for the help, this takes a lot of stress off my shoulders.

I assume you're a current DPM student, do you have any tips for an applicant? :)

Reactions: 1 user
I am not current student. I start at the end of July.
Ah, okay! I wish you the best. :thumbup:

I would suggest you shadow a podiatrist and if possible during a surgery.

Make sure it is something that you want to do. I am not sure how familiar you are with podiatry, (most pre-meds are not - I wasn't either during undergrad), but I would suggest getting to know it.

Otherwise, application for podiatry is very similar to AACOMAS app. Requirements are the same.

LORs from science professors and preferably one from DPM.

With your GPA and good MCAT, you will be guaranteed an interview at all pod schools.

Most likely you will get accepted to DO school if you get anywhere around 500 or up. Applying for DO in October is probably in the middle of the DO Cycle.

There are podiatrists and pod students who had stats for MD/DO schools but still went with podiatry for what it has to offer.
That makes a lot more sense, thanks for clearing it up. I've always considered myself a pre-med, but the more I found out about podiatry, the more I like the field.

I'm currently trying to contact a local podiatrist that allows students to shadow him. How many hours do you think I should do with him to get a good grasp of podiatry and the amount that most schools want to see? I've already shadowed a general surgeon (for about 40 hours total) and I spent quite a bit of time with him in a wound clinic that dealt with podiatry-related cases.

Also, what score should I aim for on the MCAT if I want to have chance at being admitted to a podiatry school? I've honestly never been good at standardized tests (the SAT is the last one I took) and I'm kind of dreading it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah, okay! I wish you the best. :thumbup:

That makes a lot more sense, thanks for clearing it up. I've always considered myself a pre-med, but the more I found out about podiatry, the more I like the field.

I'm currently trying to contact a local podiatrist that allows students to shadow him. How many hours do you think I should do with him to get a good grasp of podiatry and the amount that most schools want to see? I've already shadowed a general surgeon (for about 40 hours total) and I spent quite a bit of time with him in a wound clinic that dealt with podiatry-related cases.

Also, what score should I aim for on the MCAT if I want to have chance at being admitted to a podiatry school? I've honestly never been good at standardized tests (the SAT is the last one I took) and I'm kind of dreading it.

With those stats, you could score a 490 and still get in.

Go as high as you can. You will see scholarship offers. Aim for a 500.

It is very very important for you to shadow both the good and bad of podiatry. Get a thorough look before you commit.

You cannot change your specialty after you enter this profession. Do podiatry for the right reasons- because you want to and are willing to accept the bad with the good.

No, October is not too late to apply. With high stats, some end up interviewing in June before the cycle closes in July and still get in.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I applied in June 2017, had an interview in July and started school end of July 2017. That was the latest I think you could ever get accepted. Anytime before May of the started year I think is fine to apply.

Podiatry seems open to accept students as long there are spots open and school hasnt started yet. If you are applying last minute give the school a call and see if they have spots open still so you arent wasting money on applying to schools that already filled their seats, that’s what I did and schools were good about letting me know if their spots were all filled.

Reactions: 1 users