Sep 20, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Cutting it a bit short for DAT. I need to squeeze in OC2 somewhere. Would like to apply sometime in june-july. Finishing GC 2 at the moment. Only school that offers OC1 for the winter session in all of nyc is a community college.

Any advice or suggestions?

Thank you for your time.

peanutb123

10+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
Bad idea. Schools WILL look down upon this no matter how many people use themselves as an example. Take it a state school.

Aug 14, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
OC is one of those "indicator course". I would have to agree that taking it a CC is not a good idea. It wouldn't even be an upper division course that way.

customx

7+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2009
Status
Dental Student
Say you take it at a CC and get a 20+ on the DAT, will they still look down on it?

peanutb123

10+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
YES...

Even if you get a 20 they will still look down on this.

Call an adviser they will tell you the same thing.

I know couple schools which look down on some very low level state schools - which gives good grades to everyone. I was even told by a dean, as a joke. he/she said as long as you dont take it at this state univ... not gonna say the name, you are all set.

jeffity

7+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2009
Status
Dentist
Cutting it a bit short for DAT. I need to squeeze in OC2 somewhere. Would like to apply sometime in june-july. Finishing GC 2 at the moment. Only school that offers OC1 for the winter session in all of nyc is a community college.

Any advice or suggestions?

Thank you for your time.
I'd pass on the CC. Especially for OCHM.

How are your OCHM instructors? You'd be finishing OCHM 1 in the spring and taking the DAT in summer, correct? I'm finishing OCHM 1 now and taking the DAT over winter break. But I have one of the most legit OCHM teachers around and took him specifically because he's known to teach in such a way that you will be more prepared than most other students for OCHM2 and have a good base for pre-health exams. Between him and Chad and other resources, I feel confident in tackling OCHM on the DAT without having taken OCHM2 yet. And only about 6 weeks to prepare.

You're your own judge though. Ask other students that have taken those instructors before and the DAT and see how they feel about it. (Not sure if that's an option for you. I'm on a huge campus.)

Chemboy23

10+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2008
Jackson, MS
Status
Pre-Dental
I took lots of courses (mostly non-science) at a CC. I would, however, very strongly persuade you against it. I thought, when I was attending a CC that there could not possibly be that much difference...but there is. The work load is A LOT more and dental schools know this. You'll be glad when you have to take the DAT because you will remember a lot more...best of luck!

customx

7+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2009
Status
Dental Student
I'm going to stick it out and finish my pre-reqs at my CC, except for biochem since it's not offered. I know that that ochem teachers at UW have horrible reviews, and it's the only public 4 year school close to me. Bellevue College has some great chem and ochem teachers, not because they are easy, but because you actually learn a lot

herkulease

10+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Taking it at a 4 year school then proceeding to blow your DAT is pointless.

They are not gonna say well this guy took classes at a 4 year we'll let him slide. The point of the DAT to have a level playing field. Grade inflation happens. If you know your stuff it will be backed up by your grade and DAT score.

same deal with going to stanford/harvard or some top ranked undergrad. If you have a 2.0 you have a 2.0. You don't get to say I went to stanford/harvard, my 2.0 is better than your 3.5 for instance. You'll probably get the benefit of the doubt when the scores are much more comparable.

I took ochem at a 4 year school and at a CC. I did more work in my CC than at the 4 year school. Its like they are trying to "scare" you into working hard.

What taking it @ a CC does do is limit the # of schools you can apply to. I believe there are a hand full of schools that refuse to take CC credit period. Regardless of whether it is english or science course. I'm lazy right to look through the adea guide. Others limit the # of credits you can take.

The solution to that problem is apply to other schools.

OP
D
Sep 20, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
I guess I'll just suck it up and take it during the june summer session and live in the library. Go home just to shower and sleep :(. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

If i do this, I might as well start studying a bit each day from January on. Take OC2 in june and take the DAT during mid-late july. Use those few weeks to just review OC since the other subjects should be alright If I study from jan.

Sounds good? I just don't want to apply late. I know july isn't late but I'm just trying to put everything in my favor. All you can do in situations like these.

John Durian

Durio zibethinus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2008
Status
Dental Student
I was a strong proponent of taking it at the JC, but idk anymore. I would say, if you can afford it, to take OC at the university level. This isn't so much that the university offers better courses, is harder, is better, etc so much as it is that admissions do seem to frown down pre-reqs taken at community colleges. BTW, I scored a 28 on OC taking both OC1 and OC2 at my local JC...

peanutb123

10+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
I guess I'll just suck it up and take it during the june summer session and live in the library. Go home just to shower and sleep :(. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

If i do this, I might as well start studying a bit each day from January on. Take OC2 in june and take the DAT during mid-late july. Use those few weeks to just review OC since the other subjects should be alright If I study from jan.

Sounds good? I just don't want to apply late. I know july isn't late but I'm just trying to put everything in my favor. All you can do in situations like these.
lol so you do agree that Univ. course is going to be harder... see IF YOU THINK like that. wouldnt the admissions committee think like that too?

anyways Ochem 2 is not that hard as what you make it seem to be, yes even for the summer.

May 10, 2010
Status
lol so you do agree that Univ. course is going to be harder... see IF YOU THINK like that. wouldnt the admissions committee think like that too?

anyways Ochem 2 is not that hard as what you make it seem to be, yes even for the summer.

It's all at the professor's discretion.. but too bad the adcoms never see that.
My biochem class at a top 25 university is MUCH easier than OChem at the CC I took it at.. Also, too bad the adcoms will never see that the average grade at the CC for Ochem was failing lol. I hate how CC's get looked down upon but thats life. oh well.

OP
D
Sep 20, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental

I wanted to take it at a cc college because it was the only school in nyc that was offering it for the winter. I rather take it in the winter then during the summer when i take the dat.

doc toothache

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2006
Status
Dentist
Even if you get a 20 they will still look down on this.
You mean it would be better to take at a university and get a 17 on the DAT?
Some schools are persnickety about taking courses at a CC, however, the proof is in the pudding... taking course chem/bio courses at a university and doing well, not to mention acing the DAT. It is less a matter of where the courses are taken and more a matter of the level of the courses offered. Some CC sciences courses are pretty watered down; the same can be said of some university courses, especially those intended for non science majors.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=527335
Posted via Mobile Device

peanutb123

10+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
You mean it would be better to take at a university and get a 17 on the DAT?
Some schools are persnickety about taking courses at a CC, however, the proof is in the pudding... taking course chem/bio courses at a university and doing well, not to mention acing the DAT. It is less a matter of where the courses are taken and more a matter of the level of the courses offered. Some CC sciences courses are pretty watered down; the same can be said of some university courses, especially those intended for non science majors.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=527335
Posted via Mobile Device

So you are saying even if they get 22 and their gpa is below a 2.9 they wouldn't look at GPA?

doc toothache

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2006
Status
Dentist
So you are saying even if they get 22 and their gpa is below a 2.9 they wouldn't look at GPA?
A 2.9 gpa will not get you noted but a 22 certainly will.

Last edited:

yappy

10+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2008
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Why assume a lower gpa? Lets say he gets that 22 in o chem and Aces the class at a CC. Hard to argue with that - in every form of measurement they performed very well.

That being said - I dont think admissions are as pragmatic. Therefore - you can cover all your bases by taking it at a university & avoid the negative perception of jr college.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
Doesn't matter...I went to community college and cal state all my life, had 4 interviews and got accepted into one dental school already. If you got good stats (GPA and DAT) and do well in your interviews you'll get in period. And just for your information, I took OC at a CC.

customx

7+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2009
Status
Dental Student
There are only about five schools which will not accept CC credits, and I don't plan on applying to them anyways. If I can back up my GPA with solid DAT scores, how can they assume that the courses were watered down?