would it be weird If I took biochem at a different college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

antispatula

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I go to BYU, and have just decided to take biochem this semester. I am going to be busy this semester, and have heard from various people that biochem at BYU is extremely time-consuming. There is, however, another university, UVU, about ten minutes away. Would it disadvantage me at all if I took biochem at UVU, while currently a student at BYU, to save some time (studying for the MCAT this semester)? Would ADCOMS think this is weird, and would it be considered a disadvantage, or a weak spot on my app?

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with Arcumis. It would look weird. It would be a weak spot on your app. Specifically, it would look like you are trying to get an easy A in biochem by taking it a lower ranked university.

Now there are good reasons to take a class at another college. Let's say you went to school in California and were spending the summer back with your family in New York and wanted to take biochem on the side. Then it would make sense for you to take biochem at an NY school. But your situation isn't really like that. If UVU is only ten minutes away from BYU, how could it possibly be more convenient to take biochem there? In the absence of any other explanation, adcoms will guess that you're trying to pad your GPA with an easy A.

Also, I would suggest reading this: MCAT and a Heavy School Workload Don’t Mix: Stop rushing to take the MCAT

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes it is weird.
I had a friend who took Physics II at a different college, but the reason was more legit - Physics II are our college didn't fit into her schedule, and doing Physics II at a local college in the area was the only way for her to graduate on time.
Unless you are in a TRUE back-against-the-wall predicament, take the biochem at BYU. Biochemistry will be time consuming wherever you study it.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm taking at intro to physio class at UC extension rather than at my uni where in taking other classes
The class was closed and only way for me to take this before I graduate is here so I don't see how med schools can say it's a negative?

I'm taking at intro to physio class at UC extension rather than at my uni where in taking other classes
The class was closed and only way for me to take this before I graduate is here so I don't see how med schools can say it's a negative?
Your situation is different from the OP's because you have a valid reason for taking the class at another school. And you can explain this if asked at a med school interview. The OP wants to take the class at UVU because it is less time-consuming (read: easier) there, and that is exactly what adcoms do not like.

Thanks guys. I just added biochem at BYU. I knew it was a bad idea, I just needed to hear it from someone else haha

Reactions: 1 user
Your situation is different from the OP's because you have a valid reason for taking the class at another school. And you can explain this if asked at a med school interview. The OP wants to take the class at UVU because it is less time-consuming (read: easier) there, and that is exactly what adcoms do not like.
I agree
I just feel that if the OP is concerned for his gpa and he feels that he won't do well at his uni for some odd reason(professor review, student feedback) then it'd be best to play it safe because gpa is important in the end and you don't want to mess that up
However, I also say to avoid taking classes like biochem or any pre reqs or UD s at a lower uni because that doesn't look good and seems weird
But if you need a science booster and you know you'd kill the class then I personally don't see anything wrong.
But it's up to you as I m not sure

I will go against SDN wisdom here and say that it will not make much difference especially if it is only one class. Although if is becoming more common to require biochem, most schools do not (as far as I know). Also I doubt one class at a different school will raise any questions. Just like with W, it must be a pattern. Lastly, you can always say the class at your school didn't fit into your schedule on the off chance that anyone asks.

I will go against SDN wisdom here and say that it will not make much difference especially if it is only one class. Although if is becoming more common to require biochem, most schools do not (as far as I know). Also I doubt one class at a different school will raise any questions. Just like with W, it must be a pattern. Lastly, you can always say the class at your school didn't fit into your schedule on the off chance that anyone asks.
Agree

I will go against SDN wisdom here and say that it will not make much difference especially if it is only one class. Although if is becoming more common to require biochem, most schools do not (as far as I know). Also I doubt one class at a different school will raise any questions. Just like with W, it must be a pattern.
I'd say that while a trend of taking classes at other colleges or getting Ws could get you screened out pre-interview, a single W or a single course taken at another college will lead to the adcom deciding "we'll let the applicant explain." Then they'll leave a note for your interviewer to ask you about it during the interview. If the explanation is that you took the class at University Y because it was less time consuming there, it's not going to go over well. It won't necessarily get you rejected, but it certainly won't be doing you any favors.

Lastly, you can always say the class at your school didn't fit into your schedule on the off chance that anyone asks.
True, but (and I've been flamed for saying this before) that is lying, so I wouldn't recommend it. In my opinion, it's always better to put yourself in a position where you don't have to tell lies.

Last edited: