swf

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2005
Status
... choose Mt. Sinai over U-Michigan?

Ok, so I’ve read a bunch of these threads that ask “should I go to X, Y or Z medical school?” and, then, a bunch of responses along the lines of: “shut up and be grateful that you’re into med. school and have a choice.” Now, even though I somewhat agree with this sentiment and also am well aware that no-one else can actually choose your med. school for you, I’d still like an opinion on this issue. Please don’t think I’m being obnoxious; I’m just super-indecisive ;)

So right now I’m leaning strongly towards MSSM over U-Mich but I’m worried that this is too much based on a shakily formulated gut feeling that could well be inaccurate. I definitely preferred the “vibe” at Sinai over that at U-M based on my interview day, but I’m somewhat worried about Sinai having had money troubles in the past, not being affiliated w/ a university etc. whereas Mich is this huge, well-known, well-established medical conglomerate.

So … thoughts, opinions, random comments about life?!?

Bigsheed920

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2005
NY
Status
Think about where u want to be for the next 4 yrs....michigan can get pretty cold....but u gotta love their sports......and it is one the best med schools......i would personally take michigan....but u should go with ur feelings from interview day.

aw buddy
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'd go for Michigan personally, but it would depend on how far I was from friends and family, what kind of climate I was used to, what kind of city environment the school was in, etc.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
swf said:
... choose Mt. Sinai over U-Michigan?

Ok, so I’ve read a bunch of these threads that ask “should I go to X, Y or Z medical school?” and, then, a bunch of responses along the lines of: “shut up and be grateful that you’re into med. school and have a choice.” Now, even though I somewhat agree with this sentiment and also am well aware that no-one else can actually choose your med. school for you, I’d still like an opinion on this issue. Please don’t think I’m being obnoxious; I’m just super-indecisive ;)

So right now I’m leaning strongly towards MSSM over U-Mich but I’m worried that this is too much based on a shakily formulated gut feeling that could well be inaccurate. I definitely preferred the “vibe” at Sinai over that at U-M based on my interview day, but I’m somewhat worried about Sinai having had money troubles in the past, not being affiliated w/ a university etc. whereas Mich is this huge, well-known, well-established medical conglomerate.

So … thoughts, opinions, random comments about life?!?
I wouldn't worry about school money troubles, affiliation and that sort of concern. However I would personally find it hard not to go to a top ten school (Mich - according to US News research rankings) if I had that option unless I had a strong family or financial reason to choose the other. I'm not sure a "vibe" would be enough for me -- I would need to really love one place and hate the other. But it's going to be your home for the next four years, and you can do well for yourself at either place. Congrats.

R

Revolution #9

When it comes to residency placement, you can't go wrong with either place.

gbiz

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2004
MI
Status
Resident [Any Field]
My thoughts... Im waitlisted at UMich, my top choice. So goto Sinai, and leave some vacancies :) :) :)

Other then that, I'd say go with your heart. You have to be comfortable where you are going to be at for the next at least 4 years, grueling over the materials. UMich is were my heart is at, thats why I want to go there. Its where I would feel at home. For you, if Sinai is it, I'd say go there :) Thats my two cents.

VeggieGal

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2004
Status
you can go to any med school, do well, be at the top your class and still get an awesome residency placement. will it be harder to do that coming from mssm?--i actually think it might in the sense that you can probably be mediocre at michigan and still get a good residency. if you are mediocre at sinai, it might be harder. if that even matters....regardless, i don't think that should deter you. if you really loved mssm more, and think you would be happier gong there, then by all means, GO! it's 4 years of your life!

the only think about mssm, specifically, is that my premed advisor told me to stay away from that school b/c of all the financial troubles. that's the only thing. i would talk to some faculty at mssm. see what they think. ask people who are in the medical field already. don't rely on us premeds at sdn solely. you should trust people who have more experience with these things, premed advisor, etc...

Blue Scrub

The Gift & The Curse
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
whatever school that you feel is the best fit for you, most comfortable for you, gives you the best feeling, and where you can see yourself for the next few years, taking into account distance from home, finances, etc. is the best school for you. Dont let anyone else tell you otherwise! No matter where you go you'll be an awesome doctor! :thumbup:

OP
S

swf

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2005
Status
Hey all -
Thanks for the helpful and thoughtful replies :) Hmm, so it definitely seems that the consensus favors taking U-Mich. Guess I'll have to mull it over a little more and, hopefully, scrape together enough $$ to make it out to 2nd look wkd. and see how that leaves me feeling.
gbiz - Good luck getting off the waitlist :luck: I really hope you get to go to U-M seeing as you are so into it. I promise to promptly remove myself from the waitlist once I make that decision (tho' that'll probably be after financial aid info. comes rolling in).
VeggieGal - Did your pre-med. advisor elaborate at all on how he expects Sinai's past money troubles might affect current/ future med. students? (I'm done with undergrad., so the info.'s a bit harder to come by on my end).
Thanks! :)

Without Wax

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2005
Status
no it is not crazy or weird to go to MSSM over UMich. NYC vs. Ann Arbor? Upper east side, rich neighborhood, MSSM is just a great school.

Some people like apples, some like oranges. It is your choce. they are both great schools.

ellia08

Medicine + Math = Awesome
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2004
the lab! yay!
Status
Medical Student
Of course I am completely biased (I LOVE michigan and there is little that could entice me away) but I think that you should go where you felt comfortable. Interview days are weird though, so I would go to 2nd look at michigan and check it out again but if you still feel that mssm is a better place for you then go for it.

I doubt that it will make a tremendously huge difference in the long run.

FloridaMadame

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2005
Status
VeggieGal said:
the only think about mssm, specifically, is that my premed advisor told me to stay away from that school b/c of all the financial troubles. that's the only thing. i would talk to some faculty at mssm. see what they think. ask people who are in the medical field already. don't rely on us premeds at sdn solely. you should trust people who have more experience with these things, premed advisor, etc...
There is a whole thing about MSSM's financial troubles (or lack there of) on another thread about MSSM. Supposedly, their troubles are over. The person who wrote in about them said they cleared themselves up three years ahead of schedule and that they are really ok now and the person who caused all the problems is gone. That is about all I remember from the other thread, but I hope it helps.

Acherona

10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
FloridaMadame said:
There is a whole thing about MSSM's financial troubles (or lack there of) on another thread about MSSM. Supposedly, their troubles are over. The person who wrote in about them said they cleared themselves up three years ahead of schedule and that they are really ok now and the person who caused all the problems is gone. That is about all I remember from the other thread, but I hope it helps.
Yea I wouldn't not go to MSSM due to "financial problems". It is a *very* solvent institution. I think they had some trouble after merging with NYU because NYU was having issues but are doing well now. Anyway, IMO both are great schools so you should choose based on where you want to live, that's probably the most important factor in how happy you are for the next 4 years. Some people would just not give up living in Manhattan with $600/mo rent for Ann Arbor.

OP
S

swf

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2005
Status
Hey,
Thanks for the new responses.
FloridaMadame - thanks for the tip. I think I had actually come across that thread (or at least a similar one) in an earlier search. I guess I just tend to find those threads fairly back and forth about Sinai's money issues so I don't really know what to think.
Acherona - thanks for the reassurance re: the financial issue. Do you have any kind of inside source for your info., or is it just based on what you've heard/seen, etc.? I think I'm definitely one of those ppl. who'd really like to be able to live in nyc for $600/mo. I'm living in the city this year and absolutely LOVE it. I'm very into theatre and dance, so obviously it's great for all that (not to mention a whole ton of other things...) :thumbup:
Oh, and Ellia08, I might well see you at Mich. 2nd look if I make it out. What do you personally love about the place so much? Do you know if there are any good opportunities for being involved with theatre and/or dance?

SwankyLove

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2005
Southern California
Status
Of the MSSM and UMich, Ive only interviewed at MSSM and personally I didnt like it, but that doesnt matter. I think that you need more information and not from fellow SDNers altho it is quite interesting what others think. Go to second look wkends for both places and get it from the horse's mouth - ask those med students directly questions about their school. What info u have now is obviously not enought. I myself am an indecisive person and I find out that im usually indecisive when I dont have enough info and gut feelings are really really impt but they arent enought to make this huge decision.

Acherona

10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
swf, I have a family member on the faculty at MSSM.

New York is definitely the place to be if you are into theatre/dance. Nowhere else on earth even comes close.

OP
S

swf

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2005
Status
Acherona said:
swf, I have a family member on the faculty at MSSM.

New York is definitely the place to be if you are into theatre/dance. Nowhere else on earth even comes close.

Ooh, family member on faculty, eh? Definitely sounds like a good inside connection to me ;) Thanks!