Would it be wise to take up a unrelated minor while pursuing my undergrad in kinesiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reohgoingplaces

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am interested in becoming a Physical Therapist, but I am just beginning to enter a university for my BS in Exercise Science/Kinesiology. Also, I am interested in studying either horticulture, geology, or English as a minor. Would it be wise for me to pursue a minor in a unrelated field other than health profession science such of kinesiology, microbiology, nutrition etc?

I'll be entering a university as a transfer student and have completed most of my preqs at a community college.

I don't want the PT school that I am applying for to think that I am not focused if I take up a minor in an unrelated field or would they see that?

Members don't see this ad.

I received my major in an unrelated field. So a minor should be fine, if not better than someone with no minor at all. If you are completely confident that you can be successful in your major (mostly A's) then by all means go for a minor. If youre getting mostly B's in your major, I would recommend holding off on a minor until you can get a decent GPA. I would think PT schools would get bored of looking at applicants with a common major (Kines, Bio, Exer Sci, etc.). So a minor would definitely do some good to show that you come from a background with different experiences.

Reactions: 1 user
I received my major in an unrelated field. So a minor should be fine, if not better than someone with no minor at all. If you are completely confident that you can be successful in your major (mostly A's) then by all means go for a minor. If youre getting mostly B's in your major, I would recommend holding off on a minor until you can get a decent GPA. I would think PT schools would get bored of looking at applicants with a common major (Kines, Bio, Exer Sci, etc.). So a minor would definitely do some good to show that you come from a background with different experiences.

Thank you for that advice. I had been really worried about that for a while since I was searching for universities to transfer to. Are you in PT school now?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, I am interested in becoming a Physical Therapist, but I am just beginning to enter a university for my BS in Exercise Science/Kinesiology. Also, I am interested in studying either horticulture, geology, or English as a minor. Would it be wise for me to pursue a minor in a unrelated field other than health profession science such of kinesiology, microbiology, nutrition etc?

I'll be entering a university as a transfer student and have completed most of my preqs at a community college.

I don't want the PT school that I am applying for to think that I am not focused if I take up a minor in an unrelated field or would they see that?

How I see it, is getting a minor 100% won't hurt your chances, and as far as how much it'll improve your chances is up for debate and if anything it's margina. It's more important to have as high of a cumulative gpa + pre req gpa as possible. If both of those are as good as they can be, then by all means a minor will be fine for you to pursue.

However, if you're set on the PT route then I don't see the point in pursuing a minor in those given topics at all. I understand you're interested in the given topic(s) but why not learn that on your own time, save the money/extra school time, and between now and PT applications get tons of observations hours, and extracurriculars/work experience that really sets you apart. Those coupled with high GPAs are WAY MORE important than an addition of a minor. If you really want to do it though, it can't hurt!

That's just my opinion and I just got accepted this cycle for the class of 2020.

Last edited:
Thank you for that advice. I had been really worried about that for a while since I was searching for universities to transfer to. Are you in PT school now?

No problem. I was accepted into APU in California starting in the Spring. I also agree that getting observation hours in different PT settings or other experiences related to rehabilitation is also very important. So don't skip out on the opportunities to be active in those areas. Schools want to know that you are interesting and stand out (hence your minor) and that you are dedicated and have explored as much as you can in PT (observation hours). And don't be afraid to reach out to potential PT schools and ask their admission coordinators their opinions on this matter. If you'd like to take a closer look at statistics regarding majors, search up "ptcas statistics" on Google, and you should be able to find a PDF of last years applicants (I dont think minors are included in the statistics). Good luck.

How I see it, is getting a minor 100% won't hurt your chances, and as far as how much it'll improve your chances is up for debate and if anything it's margina. It's more important to have as high of a cumulative gpa + pre req gpa as possible. If both of those are as good as they can be, then by all means a minor will be fine for you to pursue.

However, if you're set on the PT route then I don't see the point in pursuing a minor in those given topics at all. I understand you're interested in the given topic(s) but why not learn that on your own time, save the money/extra school time, and between now and PT applications get tons of observations hours, and extracurriculars/work experience that really sets you apart. Those coupled with high GPAs are WAY MORE important than an addition of a minor. If you really want to do it though, it can't hurt!

That's just my opinion and I just got accepted this cycle for the class of 2020.

That makes sense, a high GPA so they see that you are dedicated to what you say you want to go into. I just started observing at Tirr Memorial Hermann and as its just observing not hands on, its so rewarding looking on at OT's/PT's/Techs/Assistants with their patients. Do you think it would be best just to get a minor in wellness or nutrition instead or something related to the health professions? I just don't want those extra credits I took at a community college to go to waste. I earned an AS in Life Science.

No problem. I was accepted into APU in California starting in the Spring. I also agree that getting observation hours in different PT settings or other experiences related to rehabilitation is also very important. So don't skip out on the opportunities to be active in those areas. Schools want to know that you are interesting and stand out (hence your minor) and that you are dedicated and have explored as much as you can in PT (observation hours). And don't be afraid to reach out to potential PT schools and ask their admission coordinators their opinions on this matter. If you'd like to take a closer look at statistics regarding majors, search up "ptcas statistics" on Google, and you should be able to find a PDF of last years applicants (I dont think minors are included in the statistics). Good luck.

Congrats to you! Was the process difficult? I think, the most I am worried about is the GRE (mostly any standardized tests). Before, I took the HESI for nursing because my mum so badly wanted to become a nurse like her, but I didn't feel it was for me, however the HESI wasn't very easy for me even if I studied hard. I just started observing at Tirr Memorial Hermann and I love the experience, its just parking can be pricey since the hospital doesn't validate nor provide free parking. This weekend I am going to look into other nearby hospitals I can observe at, since at Tirr-- it is mostly watching the PT/OT/Assistants/Tech do their job and not a hands-on, mentoring approach. In the meantime, I just sit, watch and write notes of what I am observing. I will look into that.

Your first and (probably only priority) should be GPA, observation hours, getting to know multiple PT's, and honing pt interaction skills. In that order.

I don't know how much a minor can help you but it can certainly hurt you if it negatively effects your GPA.

That makes sense, a high GPA so they see that you are dedicated to what you say you want to go into. I just started observing at Tirr Memorial Hermann and as its just observing not hands on, its so rewarding looking on at OT's/PT's/Techs/Assistants with their patients. Do you think it would be best just to get a minor in wellness or nutrition instead or something related to the health professions? I just don't want those extra credits I took at a community college to go to waste. I earned an AS in Life Science.

Usually observing is not hands on. Most schools want you to have a variety of different settings (i.e. outpatient, inpatient, and a specialty such as home health or SNF). I would shoot for around 100-120 hours between those three settings (or more) by the time you apply for PT school. Also, while you're there do your best to be interactive with the PT and patients. Time will come where you will need a reference from a PT and if you connected well with them during your rotation, they'll not only be more than willing to do so they will write you a good one.

You can get your minor in anything, even if it's unrelated it doesn't really matter so long as you have you receive your degree, keep your GPAs as high as possible, complete all the pre requisite classes for the programs you're applying to, and making sure you stand out as much as possible via your extracurriculars/work. I would say if you only have a few classes left in order to get a minor, then by all means do it! Otherwise if you have to take quite a few to get it, I don't see it really being worth it. Not only will it not provide you with much, you're spending extra money, extra time, and potentially hitting your cumulative GPA negatively if you end up getting a B or lower in one of those classes.

Congrats to you! Was the process difficult? I think, the most I am worried about is the GRE (mostly any standardized tests). Before, I took the HESI for nursing because my mum so badly wanted to become a nurse like her, but I didn't feel it was for me, however the HESI wasn't very easy for me even if I studied hard. I just started observing at Tirr Memorial Hermann and I love the experience, its just parking can be pricey since the hospital doesn't validate nor provide free parking. This weekend I am going to look into other nearby hospitals I can observe at, since at Tirr-- it is mostly watching the PT/OT/Assistants/Tech do their job and not a hands-on, mentoring approach. In the meantime, I just sit, watch and write notes of what I am observing. I will look into that.

Thanks! I can say that the process wasn't easy. But if you really want something, you will do your best to make it happen, whether the process is difficult or not. The GRE's and standardized tests in general are portrayed differently for a lot of people. For some, it was really hard, but they studied and got good scores. For others, they struggle to get good scores. The only resource I used was the ETS GRE site to study and came out fine. And it's difficult to find a PT location that will allow a "hands on" approach. We are neither certified nor experienced enough to do what PT's are certified to do (what would be the point of PT school if we were?). Unless you have previous professional experiences in some other field (PTA or AT). What you get in your observation hours correlates to what effort you put into it. For example, asking questions, being proactive rather than reactive, physically doing exercises with patients, forming assessment and rehabilitation plans in your head as you observe a new patient, etc. There are many things you can do aside from taking notes that can make your experience worthwhile, rather than finding a place that will let you stretch patients and do ice and e-stim.

Your first and (probably only priority) should be GPA, observation hours, getting to know multiple PT's, and honing pt interaction skills. In that order.

I don't know how much a minor can help you but it can certainly hurt you if it negatively effects your GPA.

That's smart approach. I've decided to wait on obtaining a minor since I'll have to take physics and chemistry 2 (as I've heard from many people that it can be an uphill battle to conquer). Thank you.

Usually observing is not hands on. Most schools want you to have a variety of different settings (i.e. outpatient, inpatient, and a specialty such as home health or SNF). I would shoot for around 100-120 hours between those three settings (or more) by the time you apply for PT school. Also, while you're there do your best to be interactive with the PT and patients. Time will come where you will need a reference from a PT and if you connected well with them during your rotation, they'll not only be more than willing to do so they will write you a good one.

You can get your minor in anything, even if it's unrelated it doesn't really matter so long as you have you receive your degree, keep your GPAs as high as possible, complete all the pre requisite classes for the programs you're applying to, and making sure you stand out as much as possible via your extracurriculars/work. I would say if you only have a few classes left in order to get a minor, then by all means do it! Otherwise if you have to take quite a few to get it, I don't see it really being worth it. Not only will it not provide you with much, you're spending extra money, extra time, and potentially hitting your cumulative GPA negatively if you end up getting a B or lower in one of those classes.

I just got finished calling around to different hospitals and clinics around my area to see if I can observe or shadow a PT, most of where I called either didn't answer and I left a message or wasn't sure who to contact. I had to tell one lady that I was enrolling into PT school when really I haven't even started on PT school nor my undergrad. When hospital personnel asks me, should I tell them that I am an undergrad pursuing my BS in Kinesiology, so I can observe for PT school? I don't want to lie about it.

Thanks! I can say that the process wasn't easy. But if you really want something, you will do your best to make it happen, whether the process is difficult or not. The GRE's and standardized tests in general are portrayed differently for a lot of people. For some, it was really hard, but they studied and got good scores. For others, they struggle to get good scores. The only resource I used was the ETS GRE site to study and came out fine. And it's difficult to find a PT location that will allow a "hands on" approach. We are neither certified nor experienced enough to do what PT's are certified to do (what would be the point of PT school if we were?). Unless you have previous professional experiences in some other field (PTA or AT). What you get in your observation hours correlates to what effort you put into it. For example, asking questions, being proactive rather than reactive, physically doing exercises with patients, forming assessment and rehabilitation plans in your head as you observe a new patient, etc. There are many things you can do aside from taking notes that can make your experience worthwhile, rather than finding a place that will let you stretch patients and do ice and e-stim.

Since I am taking a semester off until Spring 2017 to attend a university, I will start studying for the GRE. Are there any free prep GRE classes that I can take to prepare myself for the test? I am most worried about that standardized exam. Did you make flashcards to study with? I rather just stick with observing, what kinds of questions should I ask the PT if she mostly stays in her office while I am observing the main floor? Also, Is it possible for me to obtain observation hours and shadow a PT without even being enrolled in PT school and though I plan on starting on undergrad at a university in January of next year?

I just got finished calling around to different hospitals and clinics around my area to see if I can observe or shadow a PT, most of where I called either didn't answer and I left a message or wasn't sure who to contact. I had to tell one lady that I was enrolling into PT school when really I haven't even started on PT school nor my undergrad. When hospital personnel asks me, should I tell them that I am an undergrad pursuing my BS in Kinesiology, so I can observe for PT school? I don't want to lie about it.

For inpatient settings (hospitals), I would browse their website to see if they have a volunteer coordinator, and then reach out to them and tell them you're a college student looking to get some observation hours for physical therapy.

For outpatient settings, just call the facility and they should be able to give you the information right there.

Since I am taking a semester off until Spring 2017 to attend a university, I will start studying for the GRE. Are there any free prep GRE classes that I can take to prepare myself for the test? I am most worried about that standardized exam. Did you make flashcards to study with? I rather just stick with observing, what kinds of questions should I ask the PT if she mostly stays in her office while I am observing the main floor? Also, Is it possible for me to obtain observation hours and shadow a PT without even being enrolled in PT school and though I plan on starting on undergrad at a university in January of next year?

I know of no free prep for the GRE besides the ones provided on the ETS site, which is all I did to study. It really depends on how confident you are with the material being tested. The vocabulary was definitely the hardest for me, but I managed to get by. I studied for maybe a week during my free time. In terms of your observations, I don't really understand. You must be observing someone on the main floor...? I think you may be confused. PT school is a graduate level education that you will be applying for. What you are doing right now is more or less "shadowing".

I know of no free prep for the GRE besides the ones provided on the ETS site, which is all I did to study. It really depends on how confident you are with the material being tested. The vocabulary was definitely the hardest for me, but I managed to get by. I studied for maybe a week during my free time. In terms of your observations, I don't really understand. You must be observing someone on the main floor...? I think you may be confused. PT school is a graduate level education that you will be applying for. What you are doing right now is more or less "shadowing".

Oh, I understand what is going on. I understand that PT school is a graduate level, but I am getting my observation hours in now, so if life happens to me I'll have it all together, so when I do apply for PT school I won't be struggling to find and obtain hours. I've spoken to a few students who were finished with their undergrad degree who haven't even considered getting hours, they were applying to PT school without a polished PT application and worrying. I am just trying to eliminate the stress now while I have plenty of time to observe.

Well, the head PT/OT work in their office, they are over all the PT's and OT's who work on the main floor. I have to sit in a mezzanine overlooking the PT/OT's with their patients. I just observe them. I've asked a few questions regarding the equipment they use and the PT has given me information discussing the name of the equipment, what it is used for and what muscles it targets for the patient. However, I am looking to ask as much questions as I can.

For inpatient settings (hospitals), I would browse their website to see if they have a volunteer coordinator, and then reach out to them and tell them you're a college student looking to get some observation hours for physical therapy.

For outpatient settings, just call the facility and they should be able to give you the information right there.
Thank you.

It's nice that you're starting early but keep in mind that if you need to get these hours verified, it's hard to get in touch with people 4 years later. Also it would be hard to get a recommendation from those people again because of the 4 year gap.
I like your focus and the fact that you know that you want to do PT, but here's my advice since you're a freshman from what I understand:
1) focus on your gpa. Yes you will see people about to graduate struggling to get hours but you will see even more people saying "I have a low gpa because of freshman year" etc. Try your best to get As, your gpa is such an important part of your application
2) join an organization, and do community service. You want to have substance to put in the "leadership, extra curricular, and service" part of your application. Oftentimes as you get busy, you have less time for this so freshman year is the perfect time.

I think you can start observing in your sophomore year and focusing on the two points above would be a better use of your time. Just my opinion :)

Also for your GRE, if you do take it now, keep in mind that scores are no longer valid after 5years. It does take 4 years to finish college but sometimes it takes longer because, well, life happens, or if you don't apply the summer before your senior year and end up having a year gap, or if you have to re-apply etc.. by taking your GRE 4 years early, you're increasing the chances of your scores not being valid anymore when you actually need them.

Yes you can still observe even though you haven't started your BS yet, Just explain to them the situation. And yes your major/minor does not matter at all, just make sure that you're able to complete pre-reqs and that you major in something you both love and are good at. Make it your top number 1 priority to have a high gpa, this cannot be stressed enough.

It's nice that you're starting early but keep in mind that if you need to get these hours verified, it's hard to get in touch with people 4 years later. Also it would be hard to get a recommendation from those people again because of the 4 year gap.
I like your focus and the fact that you know that you want to do PT, but here's my advice since you're a freshman from what I understand:
1) focus on your gpa. Yes you will see people about to graduate struggling to get hours but you will see even more people saying "I have a low gpa because of freshman year" etc. Try your best to get As, your gpa is such an important part of your application
2) join an organization, and do community service. You want to have substance to put in the "leadership, extra curricular, and service" part of your application. Oftentimes as you get busy, you have less time for this so freshman year is the perfect time.

I think you can start observing in your sophomore year and focusing on the two points above would be a better use of your time. Just my opinion :)

Also for your GRE, if you do take it now, keep in mind that scores are no longer valid after 5years. It does take 4 years to finish college but sometimes it takes longer because, well, life happens, or if you don't apply the summer before your senior year and end up having a year gap, or if you have to re-apply etc.. by taking your GRE 4 years early, you're increasing the chances of your scores not being valid anymore when you actually need them.

Yes you can still observe even though you haven't started your BS yet, Just explain to them the situation. And yes your major/minor does not matter at all, just make sure that you're able to complete pre-reqs and that you major in something you both love and are good at. Make it your top number 1 priority to have a high gpa, this cannot be stressed enough.
I'm not a freshman. I will be a junior when I enter university and hopefully it'll only take me 2 years to complete my bachelor's degree. If I attend Texas Tech, I will have to obtain a minor and a foreign language which will push me back three years, instead of two. However, they offered me a transfer scholarship and no other school I applied to offer me scholarships. Also, I'm having deep doubts about attending Tech. Thank you for your advice.