Would it boost my chances to tell a WL school that if they accept me, I'll defer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

and 99 others

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently on the WL at my top choice. I've sent several letters of intent and updates as they have requested. But it looks like there is no hope of getting pulled off the WL this cycle, especially since their CTE date passed and historically they don't pull of the WL this late.

However, I am also accepted to another school and will be deferring my acceptance for a few years. I am deferring because of a well-regarded fellowship program so I do believe it is a good/appealing reason. When I got in contact with the WL school, they said that their seats are filled for this upcoming class so they likely won't be pulling more people off the WL. However, if this is their logic, would it stand to reason that if I told the school that if they accept me, I would be deferring my matriculation it would give me somewhat of a chance at an A compared to the 0% likelihood now? After all, there is no way that the upcoming class a few years from now is full. I told them about the fellowship in an update and I get that if I was appealing enough they would already have accepted me after that, but maybe the circumstances THIS cycle didn't allow for that even though in another cycle they might.

I understand it is still almost certain that this tactic won't change anything and yes, I know that schools are looking to fill their class for the upcoming year and all that. But basically, my view is there is nothing to lose other than the few minutes it takes to write an email but maybe there is something I'm overlooking?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently on the WL at my top choice. I've sent several letters of intent and updates as they have requested. But it looks like there is no hope of getting pulled off the WL this cycle, especially since their CTE date passed and historically they don't pull of the WL this late.

However, I am also accepted to another school and will be deferring my acceptance for a few years. I am deferring because of a well-regarded fellowship program so I do believe it is a good/appealing reason. When I got in contact with the WL school, they said that their seats are filled for this upcoming class so they likely won't be pulling more people off the WL. However, if this is their logic, would it stand to reason that if I told the school that if they accept me, I would be deferring my matriculation it would give me somewhat of a chance at an A compared to the 0% likelihood now? After all, there is no way that the upcoming class a few years from now is full. I told them about the fellowship in an update and I get that if I was appealing enough they would already have accepted me after that, but maybe the circumstances THIS cycle didn't allow for that even though in another cycle they might.

I understand it is still almost certain that this tactic won't change anything and yes, I know that schools are looking to fill their class for the upcoming year and all that. But basically, my view is there is nothing to lose other than the few minutes it takes to write an email but maybe there is something I'm overlooking?

No. Telling them you're going to defer just means they have even less reason to accept you, as they want to fill this years class, not next years or the year after. Some schools don't even allow students accepted off the waitlist to defer, since it defeats the point of the WL.

Reactions: 6 users
I agree with the above poster. You telling them that you want a deferral will decrease your chances of getting in.

Alternatively you can ask them if they’ll consider those on the waitlist(who don’t get accepted this cycle) for a deferred acceptance, since it seems like a few schools are offering that this year(USC,Texas Tech).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the above poster. You telling them that you want a deferral will decrease your chances of getting in.

Alternatively you can ask them if they’ll consider those on the waitlist(who don’t get accepted this cycle) for a deferred acceptance, since it seems like a few schools are offering that this year(USC,Texas Tech).
How is that too different than what I'm suggesting? Are you saying I should just not mention that I'll be deferring regardless?

No. Telling them you're going to defer just means they have even less reason to accept you, as they want to fill this years class, not next years or the year after. Some schools don't even allow students accepted off the waitlist to defer, since it defeats the point of the WL.
Yes but they've *already* filled this year's class. Which is why I'm wondering if there is a possibility that they'd be willing to fill a spot in an upcoming class if I am up to snuff. The whole "you're very capable but there were just too many applicants" business.

This is such a weird situation. You were accepted to another school, ostensibly committed to that school to defer while you complete a fellowship, but are now trying to leverage a waitlist spot, which you didn't get off of this year, at a separate program into an acceptance for a future year before they've had a chance to evaluate their future applicants?

Edit:
I honestly wouldn't contact an admissions committee with this intent.

Reactions: 6 users
Yes but they've *already* filled this year's class. Which is why I'm wondering if there is a possibility that they'd be willing to fill a spot in an upcoming class if I am up to snuff. The whole "you're very capable but there were just too many applicants" business.

There are many well qualified candidates every year that don't get accepted. You would have to reapply just like the rest of them if you don't get a spot off the waitlist. I would strongly advise against what you are trying to do. It doesn't come off well.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah this question just feels so weird. I understand your logic but it just feels like you’re trying to game the system and it leaves a really bad taste in my mouth.

Reactions: 1 users
They didn’t think enough of you to make the cut this year, what compelling reason would they have to offer you a spot now for another year? I’d think that there would have to be some extraordinary circumstances, not just a fellowship opportunity.
Hopefully the opportunity will improve your application for the next round.
Oh, and a bird in the hand...
Good luck.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah this question just feels so weird. I understand your logic but it just feels like you’re trying to game the system and it leaves a really bad taste in my mouth.
This is such a weird situation. You were accepted to another school, ostensibly committed to that school to defer while you complete a fellowship, but are now trying to leverage a waitlist spot, which you didn't get off of this year, at a separate program into an acceptance for a future year before they've had a chance to evaluate their future applicants?

Edit:
I honestly wouldn't contact an admissions committee with this intent.
Yep, agree it is a weird situation. Don't understand the implication of bad faith though. I have not committed to any school. I'm not trying to gain an acceptance for a future year. I'm trying to gain an acceptance for this year and matriculate in a future year. If I get pulled off the WL now without propositioning this idea, and withdrew from my current A to go for the separate program, no one would think poorly of that. I don't see how my directly asking them makes a difference in that regard. I think that some people thought I meant keeping my current A, deferring, and then reapplying which I am deeeeeefinitely not going to do.

There are many well qualified candidates every year that don't get accepted. You would have to reapply just like the rest of them if you don't get a spot off the waitlist. I would strongly advise against what you are trying to do. It doesn't come off well.
Yeah but I'm just curious, what are the worst ramifications other than the school just not going for it. In which case, I am back where I started so no big deal.
They didn’t think enough of you to make the cut this year, what compelling reason would they have to offer you a spot now for another year? I’d think that there would have to be some extraordinary circumstances, not just a fellowship opportunity.
Hopefully the opportunity will improve your application for the next round.
Oh, and a bird in the hand...
Good luck.
I'm not sure what compelling reason they would have. But that's also my point. Maybe they had a quota for IS applicants (which I am not) that they were trying to fill this year and so couldn't accept me, which may not be the case later. That's just an example, and again, I don't really know what the circumstances are but I am just entertaining the hypothetical that under different conditions, maybe I would have a shot. Like I said, I know it is unlikely but when the worst case scenario is ending up back where I am now, no harm done, I was just wondering what tangible reason there is NOT to just ask. Especially considering that right now, my chances of being pulled off the WL are basically 0.

• Hmm
You should assume all communications you have with this program will be documented in your file. The worst case scenario is that this ask rubs someone the wrong way, they note it in your file, which would be looked at should you reapply to that program in the future. Are you planning on applying to this program in the future?

what are the worst ramifications other than the school just not going for it.

The school taking you off the waitlist because they aren't interested in having waitlist acceptees defer their matriculation.

You should assume all communications you have with this program will be documented in your file. The worst case scenario is that this ask rubs someone the wrong way, they note it in your file, which would be looked at should you reapply to that program in the future. Are you planning on applying to this program in the future?
Yeah, I was thinking this too. But also, how on earth is there a link to a med school application and residency application. They're not even the same system. Apart from applicant name and that seems like a very weak way to track someone long term, given two applicants can have the same name.
The school taking you off the waitlist because they aren't interested in having waitlist acceptees defer their matriculation.
Yeah, like I said that would leave me exactly where I am now. Not getting an A from this school. So what is the downside

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, like I said that would leave me exactly where I am now. Not getting an A from this school. So what is the downside

People can get pulled off the waitlist all the way up until the first week of classes. Without knowing which school it is, I would guess that your odds of getting off the waitlist, while low, are still higher than them offering you a deferred acceptance. If they wanted to do that, they could have already.

I didn’t mean for residency, I meant would you be likely to apply to be a medical student at this school in the future - say after your fellowship?

Yep, agree it is a weird situation. Don't understand the implication of bad faith though. I have not committed to any school. I'm not trying to gain an acceptance for a future year. I'm trying to gain an acceptance for this year and matriculate in a future year. If I get pulled off the WL now without propositioning this idea, and withdrew from my current A to go for the separate program, no one would think poorly of that. I don't see how my directly asking them makes a difference in that regard. I think that some people thought I meant keeping my current A, deferring, and then reapplying which I am deeeeeefinitely not going to do.

Yeah but I'm just curious, what are the worst ramifications other than the school just not going for it. In which case, I am back where I started so no big deal.

I'm not sure what compelling reason they would have. But that's also my point. Maybe they had a quota for IS applicants (which I am not) that they were trying to fill this year and so couldn't accept me, which may not be the case later. That's just an example, and again, I don't really know what the circumstances are but I am just entertaining the hypothetical that under different conditions, maybe I would have a shot. Like I said, I know it is unlikely but when the worst case scenario is ending up back where I am now, no harm done, I was just wondering what tangible reason there is NOT to just ask. Especially considering that right now, my chances of being pulled off the WL are basically 0.
Admissions deans take these types of "commitments" as lies. What would you say to a desperate candidate making a non-binding contract???

I didn’t mean for residency, I meant would you be likely to apply to be a medical student at this school in the future - say after your fellowship?
Oh sorry I misunderstood. No, like I mentioned earlier, I am definitely not reapplying. This year would be the only opportunity I have. I feel like I would be dead in the water at most schools if I reapplied after already having an A this cycle and foregoing it.
Admissions deans take these types of "commitments" as lies. What would you say to a desperate candidate making a non-binding contract???
Yeah, I get that it is technically non-binding but this situation is not the same as a typical "pls you're my fav school accept me!!" LOI . I feel like the fact that I am now looking for a *deferral* puts the deck in their favor. I would need to sign a deferral contract and should they agree and I end up backing out, there would be no loss on their end as the spot would be for a future class. Which they can easily fill in the future.

Yeah, I get that it is technically non-binding but this situation is not the same as a typical "pls you're my fav school accept me!!" LOI . I feel like the fact that I am now looking for a *deferral* puts the deck in their favor. I would need to sign a deferral contract and should they agree and I end up backing out, there would be no loss on their end as the spot would be for a future class. Which they can easily fill in the future.
Except med schools do not think this way.

IF you were indeed a catch, you'd already have the Accept.

would it stand to reason that if I told the school that if they accept me, I would be deferring my matriculation it would give me somewhat of a chance at an A compared to the 0% likelihood now?

OP,
I agree with your approach.
You’ll never get what you don’t ask for.
I’m not sure why so many people walk on eggshells with med schools and are afraid to ask for what they want.
You have nothing to lose. Give it a shot.
Good luck!

Exactly what are the "rules" around deferrals? By the nature and tone of your OP, I thought you already had it, but apparently you don't. Are they ever guaranteed? If not, how long do you have to ask for one?

Given how late it is in the season, does waiting increase or decrease your odds of getting one? What will happen if they say "no"? Will you give up the fellowship, or will you be reapplying?

As a qualified re-applicant who has had to apply multiple cycles before getting an A, I don’t get why you’re deferring an acceptance to a USMD school for a fellowship? Dude, take the W and go be a doctor. Don’t even try jumping ship to the other school by trying to say you’ll matriculate next year if they give it to you. If they caught wind you turned down your only A, that’d be a huge red flag. Additionally, each year you prolong it, you’re putting off another year’s salary as an attending.

so, again, take the W and go be a doctor.

As a qualified re-applicant who has had to apply multiple cycles before getting an A, I don’t get why you’re deferring an acceptance to a USMD school for a fellowship? Dude, take the W and go be a doctor. Don’t even try jumping ship to the other school by trying to say you’ll matriculate next year if they give it to you. If they caught wind you turned down your only A, that’d be a huge red flag. Additionally, each year you prolong it, you’re putting off another year’s salary as an attending.

so, again, take the W and go be a doctor.
I wouldn't turn down any A without already having another A from the WL school in hand.

And nah, I am definitely going to be taking the fellowship, it is a foregone conclusion. It is a great opportunity and melds with my goals as a doctor. And I don't really care about the opportunity cost of deferring for another year or two. Money is not my only consideration and is not enough of a motivator to make me miss other opportunities that have benefits in less tangible ways.

I wouldn't turn down any A without already having another A from the WL school in hand.

And nah, I am definitely going to be taking the fellowship, it is a foregone conclusion. It is a great opportunity and melds with my goals as a doctor. And I don't really care about the opportunity cost of deferring for another year or two. Money is not my only consideration and is not enough of a motivator to make me miss other opportunities that have benefits in less tangible ways.

Am I missing something? You have an acceptance at School A, right? And you are choosing to defer that acceptance for sake of a fellowship, correct? First off, that in itself is questionable. There are very few things that anyone can do prior to medical school that will have an impact on their applications to residency programs. I promise you, 99% of PDs won't care about whatever fellowship you're doing before school, so why do it?

So not only are you "deferring [your] acceptance {at School A} for a few years ", you're trying to get School B to give you an acceptance for some point in the future? First off, most schools' deferred admission policies are vacated and forfeited the moment you apply through AMCAS, AACOMAS, or TMDSAS. School A would receive an automatic notification of your application, and they'll rescind your offer. Burning bridges to any USMD school is a mistake.

So, what it sounds like to me (correct me if I'm wrong), is that you're hoping that this fellowship will be enough to get you into more prestigious School B in 2+ years , instead of taking School A's acceptance now. That is an egregiously irresponsible gamble you're taking, and ultimately one that is not worth it. Your fellowship will not impact where you go to residency. Whatever subject field this fellowship is in, taking the initiative to be competent and well-versed in that field as a medical student at School A will open more doors for you than this fellowship. Unless you absolutely can't envision yourself at School A for the next 4 years and becoming a doctor(in which case, why did you apply there in the first place?) then take the damn victory and go be a doctor.

Short of a religious sabbatical or having a kid, there's probably nothing that warrants deferring an acceptance.

• Love
So, what it sounds like to me (correct me if I'm wrong), is that you're hoping that this fellowship will be enough to get you into more prestigious School B in 2+ years , instead of taking School A's acceptance now. That is an egregiously irresponsible gamble you're taking, and ultimately one that is not worth it.

OP said they aren't going to reapply.

OP said they aren't going to reapply.

Well if School B didn't want OP this cycle, and they didn't offer OP a spot yet for next cycle (very few schools do this to begin with. If School B does this, and they really liked OP, they would've already done it), then he's not getting into School B without reapplying.

OP should go start medical school at School A and become a doctor.

Am I missing something? You have an acceptance at School A, right? And you are choosing to defer that acceptance for sake of a fellowship, correct? First off, that in itself is questionable. There are very few things that anyone can do prior to medical school that will have an impact on their applications to residency programs. I promise you, 99% of PDs won't care about whatever fellowship you're doing before school, so why do it?

So not only are you "deferring [your] acceptance {at School A} for a few years ", you're trying to get School B to give you an acceptance for some point in the future? First off, most schools' deferred admission policies are vacated and forfeited the moment you apply through AMCAS, AACOMAS, or TMDSAS. School A would receive an automatic notification of your application, and they'll rescind your offer. Burning bridges to any USMD school is a mistake.

So, what it sounds like to me (correct me if I'm wrong), is that you're hoping that this fellowship will be enough to get you into more prestigious School B in 2+ years , instead of taking School A's acceptance now. That is an egregiously irresponsible gamble you're taking, and ultimately one that is not worth it. Your fellowship will not impact where you go to residency. Whatever subject field this fellowship is in, taking the initiative to be competent and well-versed in that field as a medical student at School A will open more doors for you than this fellowship. Unless you absolutely can't envision yourself at School A for the next 4 years and becoming a doctor(in which case, why did you apply there in the first place?) then take the damn victory and go be a doctor.

Short of a religious sabbatical or having a kid, there's probably nothing that warrants deferring an acceptance.
Yeah, you are wrong. Everything in bold is something I've very explicitly said, multiple times, that I am NOT going to be doing. Including in the very first line of the post you quoted. I am not wondering if I should reapply. Simply curious on what the ramifications are of asking WL school if they will accept me if I make it clear to them I will be deferring my matriculation, given what I will be doing in the next few years before med school. My reason for wanting to ask this is because they cite the fact that their class is full for this year so they likely won't be pulling anyone off the WL, but that is onviously not applicable to a future year's class. If I approach them with this suggestions and they say no, I will simply continue with the acceptance I have now and move forward with a deferral. There seems to be a lot of confusion around this but I don't really know how else to phrase it. I feel like it is a very straightforward question. No bridges will be burned.

In regards to your point that deferring is not worth it, like I said, I am doing it for ME. It is something I genuinely want to do. And frankly, I do think it would help for residency but that is neither here nor there. I just actually want to do it because it is a unique opportunity that appeals to me.

Yeah, you are wrong. Everything in bold is something I've very explicitly said, multiple times, that I am NOT going to be doing. Including in the very first line of the post you quoted. I am not wondering if I should reapply. Simply curious on what the ramifications are of asking WL school if they will accept me if I make it clear to them I will be deferring my matriculation, given what I will be doing in the next few years before med school. My reason for wanting to ask this is because they cite the fact that their class is full for this year so they likely won't be pulling anyone off the WL, but that is onviously not applicable to a future year's class. If I approach them with this suggestions and they say no, I will simply continue with the acceptance I have now and move forward with a deferral. There seems to be a lot of confusion around this but I don't really know how else to phrase it. I feel like it is a very straightforward question. No bridges will be burned.

In regards to your point that deferring is not worth it, like I said, I am doing it for ME. It is something I genuinely want to do. And frankly, I do think it would help for residency but that is neither here nor there. I just actually want to do it because it is a unique opportunity that appeals to me.

Your heart seems set on this course of action so on your own head be it.

Your heart seems set on this course of action so on your own head be it.
Weeeell I havent done it yet. But yeah, I obviously am leaning towards doing it since I don't see the downside to it. Like I said, was curious about anything I haven't considered.

If I approach them with this suggestions and they say no, I will simply continue with the acceptance I have now and move forward with a deferral. There seems to be a lot of confusion around this but I don't really know how else to phrase it. I feel like it is a very straightforward question. No bridges will be burned.
I may have misunderstood the fact you wouldn't be re-applying to the school, but you are not illuminating a new option unto them they haven't already considered. The school may offer deferred admission to some students whom are already accepted. But you aren't that. Write them a letter of intent, an update, letter, whatever, but it's just naive to think a school would alter their evaluation and decision to accept or reject you by saying "I'll gladly attend your school next year". It's just naive.

I'm sorry, but I can't overstate how wrong this is. I encourage you to reach out to some PDs and ask for their opinion. There are several who are well-respected and helpful members of the SDN community (or work closely with some). I totally get wanting to do something prior to medical school for yourself. I knew I didn't want to go to med school right away after college. I wanted to work a little, make some money, and enjoy my mid 20s in America's "hottest" city for young people. I've loved working at my alma mater's med school and hospital and have learned a lot. This period of my life has been enriching and a lot of fun. Do the fellowship if you genuinely feel it will enrich you at this stage in life, but for the love of god, please don't do this if your main reason is that you think it'll give you a leg-up on the competition when applying to residency programs.

Last edited:
  • Love
but for the love of god, please don't do this if your main reason is that you think it'll give you a leg-up on the competition when applying to residency programs.
OP already said he’s not doing it for that reason; I’m not sure why you are so against what he’s proposing.

OP already said he’s not doing it for that reason; I’m not sure why you are so against what he’s proposing.
They emphasized that they felt it would help them when applying to residency. I was addressing that point. Do it to please their heart’s desire if that’s what they really want to do, but doing it under the misconception that it will make any major impact on residency should be addressed.

They emphasized that they felt it would help them when applying to residency. I was addressing that point. Do it to please their heart’s desire if that’s what they really want to do, but doing it under the misconception that it will make any major impact on residency should be addressed.
I dunno how you can make such a strong statement with only a superficial understanding of the situation but who knows, maybe you're right. I DO think it is a strong addition to a residency app but that is not my primary motivation for pursuing it. So I don't see the purpose in not going for it even if I'm wrong.

Please have some humility and be grateful that you have an acceptance (who have been very accommodating to give you a deferral). Seems like a back-stabbed and low move in my eyes. You have nothing to lose besides your pride, if you have any.

• Okay...
  • Hmm
Reactions: 4 users
Please have some humility and be grateful that you have an acceptance. You have nothing to lose besides your pride, if you have any.
Lol why does wanting to get into my top choice preclude humility, gratitude, or pride?

I genuinely don't understand some of the reactions here from people who make it seem like they're personally offended that I would dare even ask this. This is a relatively innocuous question. It harms no one.

Lol why does wanting to get into my top choice preclude humility, gratitude, or pride?

I genuinely don't understand some of the reactions here from people who make it seem like they're personally offended that I would dare even ask this. This is a relatively innocuous question. It harms no one.
Because like I said it's a low move. You're literally begging the school to accept you as you already sent multiple LOI and now you are wagering your acceptance from a school who was clearly very accommodating to grant you the deferral. At the end of the day, so what you will

• Dislike
Because like I said it's a low move. You're literally begging the school to accept you as you already sent multiple LOI and now you are wagering your acceptance from a school who was clearly very accommodating to grant you the deferral. At the end of the day, so what you will
If this translates to not being grateful to have been accepted to a medical school, we live in different worlds. I don't understand your logic at all.

If this translates to not being grateful to have been accepted to a medical school, we live in different worlds. I don't understand your logic at all.
I'm not going to explain it a third time. The fact that you see nothing wrong with spamming the school with multiple emails begging to be accepted to their program is worrisome though.

• Okay...
I'm not going to explain it a third time. The fact that you see nothing wrong with spamming the school with multiple emails begging to be accepted to their program is worrisome though.
Ah yes. 3 emails with updates and LOIs over the course of several months. That is classic spamming. Peak beg. I should let them know that their explicit directions to send LOIs and updates while on the WL is laughable and I won't engage. Thanks.

• Okay...
Just do it who cares. Also, this is Rhodes, right? Definitely not insignificant and wouldn’t be surprised if it helps beyond medical school...

Do you have a deferral? If not when are you going to apply for that? When does your school start? What happens if they don’t give you the deferral? And what makes you think they would fill one of their seats for SummeR 2021 without seeing any applications for this cycle? They didn’t accept you this year so... Do what you want and if you ask please let us know what happens.

• Love
OP,
SDN is full of naysayers and fearmongers who are afraid that standing up for yourself or asking for something you want will somehow lead to negative consequences. I have experienced this myself and often chosen to go against the advice given on these forums by some long-time members, adcoms, physicians, etc, and have never regretted my decision.
You sometimes have to trust your gut. You have already been accepted and are going to defer for your own reasons. Who cares what others think about your reasons, or if they think deferring acceptance to pursue a scholarship won’t help your residency prospects? Your question was, (correct me if I’m wrong) should you tell your WL school that you understand that although there may not be positions available now, that you are interested in deferring your acceptance to a future year if offered acceptance, as you are obviously a viable candidate, having been waitlisted. I don’t see why you shouldn’t ask, the worst that can happen is they say no, and then you’re no worse off than you are now. As far as residency goes, who knows if the scholarship will help you, but it certainly won’t hurt. Good luck to you!

Last edited:
I dunno how you can make such a strong statement with only a superficial understanding of the situation but who knows, maybe you're right. I DO think it is a strong addition to a residency app but that is not my primary motivation for pursuing it. So I don't see the purpose in not going for it even if I'm wrong.

I'm making statements based on the information that you have provided, and tying it into what I know about preparation for residency. Take some feedback from those who have more knowledge of what medical students prepping for residency go through, and what PDs are looking for in applicants. My previous statement still stands. VERY FEW things that you do prior to stepping foot into a medical school will have any substantial impact on where you go to residency. This fellowship could possibly make an impact, but the overwhelming majority of them will not, and without any other info, odds are that your fellowship opportunity falls in this category. I understand not wanting to disclose what type of fellowship it is publicly, but I'm happy to discuss in a PM further if you'd like. We're all just here to help each other out, ya know?

And I've tried empathizing with you, as I purposely took the non-trad route and knew I wanted to do things for myself prior to medical school, as you've conveyed. Dude, if you think this fellowship will dramatically change the course of your life and be so incredibly rewarding, then by all means do it. I'm happy for you if it brings you joy. I'm not at all arguing your plan if you genuinely think it'll make you happy. But just don't make such a huge decision as purposely delaying medical school if you're rationalizing it as though it will somehow make you a better applicant for residency, because it honestly won't.

I'll repeat these statements as well: most medical schools don't offer deferred admissions. The few that do tend to only do it for exceptional circumstances (i.e.: Mormons going on a 2 year religious service that is important to their faith, an applicant and their significant other having a child that was unexpected at the beginning of the application cycle). You might think your fellowship would qualify as a good reason, but has the school even told you that? You phrased your initial post that you "will be deferring my acceptance for a few years." What does that even mean? Have you even asked the school yet if they're okay with that? The wording is indefinite of when you'd be starting, which would be highly unusual of any USMD school to approve a carte blanche request to defer a seat at their school indefinitely.

Don't take any of the feedback you're getting here personally. This community is around to try and help people navigate the difficult process of even getting an acceptance to med/dentistry/optometry/etc/ school, all the way to becoming fully fledged, successful professionals. The human element of that can be lost reading blocks of text from people whom you don't know.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm making statements based on the information that you have provided, and tying it into what I know about preparation for residency. Take some feedback from those who have more knowledge of what medical students prepping for residency go through, and what PDs are looking for in applicants. My previous statement still stands. VERY FEW things that you do prior to stepping foot into a medical school will have any substantial impact on where you go to residency. This fellowship could possibly make an impact, but the overwhelming majority of them will not, and without any other info, odds are that your fellowship opportunity falls in this category. I understand not wanting to disclose what type of fellowship it is publicly, but I'm happy to discuss in a PM further if you'd like. We're all just here to help each other out, ya know?

And I've tried empathizing with you, as I purposely took the non-trad route and knew I wanted to do things for myself prior to medical school, as you've conveyed. Dude, if you think this fellowship will dramatically change the course of your life and be so incredibly rewarding, then by all means do it. I'm happy for you if it brings you joy. I'm not at all arguing your plan if you genuinely think it'll make you happy. But just don't make such a huge decision as purposely delaying medical school if you're rationalizing it as though it will somehow make you a better applicant for residency, because it honestly won't.

I'll repeat these statements as well: most medical schools don't offer deferred admissions. The few that do tend to only do it for exceptional circumstances (i.e.: Mormons going on a 2 year religious service that is important to their faith, an applicant and their significant other having a child that was unexpected at the beginning of the application cycle). You might think your fellowship would qualify as a good reason, but has the school even told you that? You phrased your initial post that you "will be deferring my acceptance for a few years." What does that even mean? Have you even asked the school yet if they're okay with that? The wording is indefinite of when you'd be starting, which would be highly unusual of any USMD school to approve a carte blanche request to defer a seat at their school indefinitely.

Don't take any of the feedback you're getting here personally. This community is around to try and help people navigate the difficult process of even getting an acceptance to med/dentistry/optometry/etc/ school, all the way to becoming fully fledged, successful professionals. The human element of that can be lost reading blocks of text from people whom you don't know.
If you look at this thread you will see OP is arguing with every poster who is telling him not to do it. Appreciate the great info you put into your post, but I wouldn't really waste my time anymore with OP

Unless your fellowship is a fellowship where you make a million dollars it’s 100% worthless. Just take the acceptance and move on with your life.

Do you have a deferral? If not when are you going to apply for that? When does your school start? What happens if they don’t give you the deferral? And what makes you think they would fill one of their seats for SummeR 2021 without seeing any applications for this cycle? They didn’t accept you this year so... Do what you want and if you ask please let us know what happens.
Yeah they've already told me they are willing to defer.

And in regards to your second point, I am not saying I think they WOULD fill one of their seats for a later cycle. But that's exactly my point. I don't KNOW for certain that they wouldn't. I'm saying that the circumstances for an acceptance or rejection aren't always totally linear. I don't believe it is as simple as, they don't want you now so they definitely wouldn't want you later. I believe that it is very LIKELY that they wouldn't give me an acceptance on the condition of a deferral given the fact that they haven't already accepted me now. But I don't see it as a foregone conclusion because there are so many unknown variables that one can't possibly account for. That sort of logic is like saying if one interviews at Harvard, then it only makes sense that they interviewed at every other less competitive school that they applied for. Obviously that is not the case because, again, there are so many more factors beyond "is this applicant generally competitive". I will reiterate again, though, I understand that my idea is not at all likely to make a difference one way or the other. Just that there is no harm in trying.

Haha no worries, I'm not taking it personally. I appreciate your perspective!

• Okay...