Would it Hurt to "Quit" My Job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
H

HCHopeful

I have been running a karaoke business for a few years now (three to be exact). I have been doing a monthly gig at a bar in my hometown since then and also doing some birthday parties and proms. Now, however, I am thinking of putting an end to this, as I am worried about managing time this fall as I prepare for the MCAT in January. Between being involved in two peer education groups, volunteering with the Red Cross, fifteen credit hours, studying for the MCAT, being involved in a band (outside of the college), and a bit of shadowing, I am afraid it would make me burn out.

I know at first thought it may seem like something that shouldn't even be worried about, as karaoke/music has very little to do with medicine. I do believe, though, that it makes me a more well-rounded applicant.

As far as music goes, I am in a band that has been together for a year now. No, I'm not talking about a garage band, as we actually play shows around my home state. We actually opened for Chiddy Bang, if any of you know who that is! This band situation is both a business as well as an artistic endeavor.

Clearly the karaoke business would still go on my application, as I have spent nearly 300 hours the past three years running it. I'm just a little concerned that stopping something a year before I apply would say the wrong thing.

Am I over-thinking this? Is it okay to stop doing this for (at least) the semester? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks everybody!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
You and your well-being are more important than overloading yourself with school, MCAT, and work/ECs. If you need to cut out the business for a while to focus on other things, it's certainly okay.

Reactions: 1 user
Just wanna say that when I started studying for MCAT I was worried about being an SI, working in a research lab, volunteering at 3 places, taking 16 credit hours, and scribing. I left my scribe job for various reasons but a big part was preparing for MCAT - thinking that now I would have the right amount of time to study for it. Your post reminds me of me when I first started thinking about studying for the MCAT.

Read: unrealistic, lol.

FWIW, I had to push my test back twice and spent the better part of this summer so far preparing, and as time has gone on I have found myself scaling back on everything. The MCAT is a beast if you want to do 30+, for me at least. My point is, I think you will have to cut out a lot more than just the karaoke to do really well on the MCAT. Of course, again, that is just me - but, just remember, start now and realize how important MCAT is and give it the proper time and respect it deserves.

Members don't see this ad :)
You need to think about yourself first, and everything else second. By all means quit it now. People quit things all the time. You definitely had a long and meaningful commitment. Just make sure that you are at least continuing your volunteering, and everything else should be focused on your grades, MCAT, and personal time. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Just wanna say that when I started studying for MCAT I was worried about being an SI, working in a research lab, volunteering at 3 places, taking 16 credit hours, and scribing. I left my scribe job for various reasons but a big part was preparing for MCAT - thinking that now I would have the right amount of time to study for it. Your post reminds me of me when I first started thinking about studying for the MCAT.

Read: unrealistic, lol.

FWIW, I had to push my test back twice and spent the better part of this summer so far preparing, and as time has gone on I have found myself scaling back on everything. The MCAT is a beast if you want to do 30+, for me at least. My point is, I think you will have to cut out a lot more than just the karaoke to do really well on the MCAT. Of course, again, that is just me - but, just remember, start now and realize how important MCAT is and give it the proper time and respect it deserves.

Unfortunately I don't have the option to push my test back further. That is, unless I want to take MCAT2015. That test is going to be a whole new level of beast, so that's not an option.

I agree, though, it's not ideal. Luckily I have this entire semester, Christmas break, and a thing called J-Term. At my college we get three weeks to do a single class in January, and I've signed up for the MCAT study class. That'll be about a month and a third (test date is January 23rd) of hardcore studying after about 6 months of light studying.

Back on subject, I appreciate the advice from everyone so far. I am leaning towards quitting at the moment. I just don't have a good reason to continue.